two questions about age "milestones"

Old May 3rd 04, 08:31 PM
Andrea

Default two questions about age "milestones"

I wonder if you could share your personal experience as to what age the
babies start to notice and interact with each other. I have been told
that it is very cute to see, and I am still waiting for it to happen.

It was around 2-3 months of age. They would notice each each other, smile and
make noises if we held them up to each other. It was pretty funny to watch.
However, if they were on the floor together they didn't seem to notice each
other very much, until they were older.

On a side note, at what age could you start to easily tell your
identicals apart? We are still struggling with this and have to rely on
nail polish on the toe and different clothing to put them in

Can't help you with that as mine are fraternal, but if it makes you feel any
better I mixed up my children a couple times when they were a few days old. I
kept nail polish on Madison's toe for 2 weeks because I was so afraid of mixing
them up. The older they got the less they looked alike.

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3/22/00

Old May 4th 04, 04:45 AM
multimom4

Mine were at least 5 and possibly 7 months (3.5 and 5.5, adj.). And it was
a fairly brief thing -- one day the boys in particular just went nuts
playing with each other's hand(?) -- happily the nanny got it on tape so
I'll be able to take a look in years to come to refresh the details (haven't
had time yet :-).

But that was more or less a one-off and it was months more before they
really cared about each other again -- I guess the next occasion was about
the time they learned to climb on each other and bite :-) (15 months).

So I guess some babies interact cute and young, and others, like mine, just
go straight to sibling rivalry at a later stage.

PS The rivalry is still with us, leading to separate first grade classes,
swimming lessons, etc etc -- just a warning in case.

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"Terri and Rob" wrote in message
news
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if you could share your personal experience as to what age the
babies start to notice and interact with each other. I have been told
that it is very cute to see, and I am still waiting for it to happen.
It would be great to have the video camera ready by then. They are
currently four and a half months old and still don't bother much with
each other.

On a side note, at what age could you start to easily tell your
identicals apart? We are still struggling with this and have to rely on
nail polish on the toe and different clothing to put them in. It is
embarrassing, because we feel as their parents we should know
"automatically". When does this get easier?

--
Terri & Rob
Parents to:

Old May 5th 04, 02:14 AM
Cindy Senger

Default Sibling rivalry --was: two questions about age "milestones"

Sibling rivalry has peaked around here and its driving me nuts!!! A & A are at
each other's throats constantly-- teasing (I have the red sucker and you have a
purple one), insulting (I draw, write, jump, skip, etc. better than you),
wrestling, slapping, kicking... I could go on and on. Jenna even got in on it
tonight-- she caught Allyson sitting on my lap on the floor and she crawled
over and tried with all her little might to push Allyson off of me. She
finally resorted to hair-pulling which sent Allyson to the other side of the
room. I thought it was just the almost-5-year-old-girl syndrome until that
episode. How do you all deal with the rivalry? A & A don't fight at school
(they are in the same preschool class 3 half-days a week) but are fighting
before we even get in the car to come home. (They will be in different
classes in K-- will that help?) Last night, I told them that they were no
longer allowed to be in the same room together. So, the evening was somewhat
peaceful, but they were right back at it this morning... Do I just have to
deal-- I was an only child so this is all new to me.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article flElc.18059$Ia6.2610318@attbi_s03,
says...

Old May 6th 04, 07:48 PM
Terri and Rob

I think putting them in separate classes next year will make it at least
a little better. I don't experience sibling rivalry within my own
children yet, but I am a teacher and have had experience with older
twins. It is usually recommended by my principal that twins be put into
separate classes because that way they get a break from each other.
Otherwise they are pretty much together 24-7 which is bound to instill
conflict in anyone. As for your current situation, I have no answers,
since I have not experienced it in my own children yet.

--
Terri & Rob