Helmets for walking babies

Old July 22nd 05, 04:36 PM
Rene

Default Helmets for walking babies

Hello
does anyone know about where I can purchase a soft helmet for my 9 month old
baby - he sits and sometimes when too into his toys he fall backwards and
hit his head.
thank you for any info

Old July 22nd 05, 04:41 PM
Cathy Weeks

Rene wrote:
Hello
does anyone know about where I can purchase a soft helmet for my 9 month old
baby - he sits and sometimes when too into his toys he fall backwards and
hit his head.
thank you for any info

I wouldn't bother with a helmet - they grow out of that phase pretty
quickly. Just put a folded blanket behind him.

Cathy Weeks

Old July 22nd 05, 05:15 PM
Sue

It is not necessary to have a helmet for your baby. Bumping their heads is
part of childhood. You will not be able to protect them from every injury
and nor should you want to. Let your child explore and play and don't worry
about injuries.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

news

Old July 22nd 05, 05:47 PM
Rene

the last fall on the hardwood floor resulted in a hymatoma (sp?) on the
head, I put blankets all over the floors but this one takes off right away,
this why I am so worried.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:04 PM
Welches

"Rene" wrote in message
the last fall on the hardwood floor resulted in a hymatoma (sp?) on the
head, I put blankets all over the floors but this one takes off right
away, this why I am so worried.

Hi! I know why you're worried, but really, unless you are given a medical
reason you don't need one.
Is it sitting or walking you're talking about? If they're sitting then put
cushions round or get a "donut" (an inflatable ring they can sit in in the
middle) If it's walking, then I think that the blankets would make it worse
as they'll skid on them.
If it makes you feel better than get a soft hat for them to wear (but be
careful they don't overheat) or even a bike helmet. But while you're doing
that you've got to realise that they can't wear it for ever. You're probably
thinking that they're unstable and won't need them when they're walking
better but, ime, the worse bumps come when they've got up their confidence
and are running and climbing. They're always pushing what they can do, and
you could find it very hard not to "just leave it on until they're safer"
for a long time. My 4.5 year old tries things that she couldn't do last
week, and the bigger they are the bigger gaps they try to breach and the
higher they climb!
Debbie

Old July 22nd 05, 06:31 PM
Sue

A hematoma is just a bruise and my kids have had lots of bumps and bruises
and they are all fine. Falling is really a normal part of childhood. You
really don't need to worry this excessively or need a helmet to protect your
son. He will soon learn to sit without falling. Take normal precautions and
protect corners of coffee tables or edges of fireplaces and take sharp
objects away (like sharp objects on toys) that he could impale himself on.
Teach him how to go up and down the stairs when he is older, teach him how
to climb on the monkey bars and so on so that way he will know the safe way
to do things. However, don't limit his activity because you are afraid he
will hurt himself. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old July 22nd 05, 09:18 PM
Rene

thank you for your advice, Noah is my second child and he is much more
active then his sibling was and more daring that's why I freak out.

"Sue" wrote in message
It is not necessary to have a helmet for your baby. Bumping their heads

is
part of childhood. You will not be able to protect them from every

injury
and nor should you want to. Let your child explore and play and don't
worry
about injuries.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

news Hello

Old July 22nd 05, 10:42 PM
dragon

Keep some arnical gel on hand. Best thing around for the bumps (takes
away the owie and helps keep bruising to a minimum) kids always get as
they figure out how their bodies work :-)

dragon

Old July 23rd 05, 03:35 AM
dejablues

"Rene" wrote in message
news
Hello
does anyone know about where I can purchase a soft helmet for my 9 month

old
baby - he sits and sometimes when too into his toys he fall backwards and
hit his head.
thank you for any info

If you really think you need one, companies that sell adaptive devices for
handicapped people ,like www.danmarproducts.com or
http://www.plument.com/protectacap.htm carry them. Jolly Jumper makes them
also. I bet they're expensive and quickly outgrown.

Little kids' heads are made to take bumps and bruises...chances are he'll
be ok!

Old July 23rd 05, 03:58 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"dejablues" wrote:

"Rene" wrote in message
news
Hello
does anyone know about where I can purchase a soft helmet for my 9 month

old
baby - he sits and sometimes when too into his toys he fall backwards and
hit his head.
thank you for any info

If you really think you need one, companies that sell adaptive devices for
handicapped people ,like www.danmarproducts.com or
http://www.plument.com/protectacap.htm carry them. Jolly Jumper makes them
also. I bet they're expensive and quickly outgrown.

Little kids' heads are made to take bumps and bruises...chances are he'll
be ok!

Mostly, babies bounce well. Even when they don't, they tend to recover
quickly. It would take much more than falling over while sitting -- or
even standing -- to do serious damage.

When my oldest was just starting to sit up, *I* fell while carrying her
on a sidewalk: I thought it was level, and didn't see a step down.
From that -- figure about a 5 foot drop to cement -- she DID end up with
a skull fracture. However, her recovery was quick, and there were no
lasting effects. (Well, for her -- it took ME longer to get over having
dropped my baby!)