Bill Cosby - NAACP leaders stunned by remarks of prominent comedian

Old June 9th 04, 02:17 PM
Holger Dansk

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:03:44 -0500, toto wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:52:41 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:44:45 -0500, toto wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:47:02 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

Bush speaks excellent English.

Here are a few of Bush's malapropisms.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushisms.htm

"My job is to, like, think beyond the immediate."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 21, 2004

Where is the error? He's talking like his audience.

"This has been tough weeks in that country."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 13, 2004

(note the lack of agreement between subject and verb here)

"This" is the subject and "has been" is the verb. They agree very well.

Sorry. It should be These have been tough weeks. Or This has been
a tough week. I mispoke what the error actually was.

Normally, that's what would be correct. However, it depends on what
"this" is. If he is referring to moral or something like that you might
say "this" has been (caused by) tough weeks.

"Obviously, I pray every day there's less casualty."
—George W. Bush, Fort Hood, Texas, April 11, 2004

No big deal here. He doesn't want to see one killed or
more than one killed.

Then it should be I pray every day there are less casualties.
It's still incorrect.

Yes, he made an error here.

(how does praying have casualties?)

The praying is to have less casualties.

Ah, but that is not what he said.

"God loves you, and I love you. And you can count on
both of us as a powerful message that people who
wonder about their future can hear."
—George W. Bush, Los Angeles, Calif., March 3, 2004

(He and God are messages?)

The message is that "Bush and God love you."

That's not what he said though. And if that is what he meant,
he's being arrogant. He's a man, not God.

It's okay to love people that God loves.

"Recession means that people's incomes, at the employer
level, are going down, basically, relative to costs, people
are getting laid off."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Feb. 19, 2004

(the employer level? - does he mean that employer's
incomes are going down

Yes, what else could "at the employer level" mean?

or that people who work *for* employers have less income
and, what income, if they are laid off?)

The reason that they (employer level people) are being laid off is
"relative to costs".

They are not *employer level people* though. Employees are
*not* employers (unless they are working for themselves)

I think he just meant that employer's incomes were going down, and maybe
top management.

"But the true strength of America is found in the hearts
and souls of people like Travis, people who are willing
to love their neighbor, just like they would like to love
themselves."
—George W. Bush, Springfield, Mo., Feb. 9, 2004

(Travis only likes to love himself? - he doesn't really
love himself?)

You have to love yourself before you can love anyone else.

Again read what he said, not what you translate.

He says just like they would *like* to love themselves.
It's not correct English.

"In my judgment, when the United States says there will
be serious consequences, and if there isn't serious
consequences, it creates adverse consequences."
—George W. Bush, Meet the Press, Feb. 8, 2004

(Adverse consequences aren't serious?)
(There isn't - should be there aren't, but the
whole sentence makes *no* sense at all)

He's treating "serious consequences" as a single thing.
Therefore, to use "aren't" instead of "isn't" would be wrong.

Sorry, he doesn't make the rules. Consequences is
a plural noun.

"There is no such thing necessarily in a dictatorial
regime of iron-clad absolutely solid evidence. The
evidence I had was the best possible evidence that
he had a weapon."
—George W. Bush, Meet the Press, Feb. 8, 2004

(Now we have a dictatorial regime?)

What's wrong with that. Hussein was a dictator.

Yes, but in the sentence, the dictatorial regime is
*his* not Saddam's.

No, not anyone would think he is referring to America as dictatorial.

He is clearly referring to the
American regime when he refers to having no
such thing as iron-clad evidence.

That's true. All intelligence is approximate. There is no such thing
as totally true intelligence.

"My views are one that speaks to freedom."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2004

(His views are *one*?)

He is using "one" to mean himself and his views and
not a synonym for his views.

Incorrect English. If that is what he meant, then the
sentence should have said *I am one that speaks to
freedom, not my views are one.*

"Then you wake up at the high school level and find out
that the illiteracy level of our children are appalling."
—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

(Ya think he meant literacy level?)

No, the illiteracy level is appalling.

I think he made an error here. "Are" should be replaced with "is".

Yes, or change level to levels.

The illiteracy level though?

The correct sentence would read:

"Then you wake up at the high school leve and find out that
the literacy level of our children is appalling.

"And if you're interested in the quality of education and
you're paying attention to what you hear at Laclede, why
don't you volunteer? Why don't you mentor a child how to
read?"
—George W. Bush, St. Louis, Mo., Jan. 5, 2004

(mentor a child how to read? - doesn't he mean teach
a child how to read?)

Well, they are very similar.

No, they are not. You cannot *mentor* a child to read.
You can teach a child to read.

"So thank you for reminding me about the importance of
being a good mom and a great volunteer as well."
—George W. Bush, St. Louis, Mos., Jan. 5, 2004

(I never knew George was a mom)

He's talking about the importance of women being a good
mom and volunteer.

I know what he meant, but that isn't what he said.

I don't have time to go through all of the rest of these.
Maybe later.

LOL. You translate him well, but he is still butchering the
language.

Holger

http://www.mindspring.com/~holger1/holger1.htm

—George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 21, 2004

—George W. Bush, Fort Hood, Texas, April 11, 2004

No big deal here. He doesn't want to see one killed or
more than one killed.

Then it should be I pray every day there are less casualties.
It's still incorrect.

Close, but no cigar.

The proper statement is, "I pray every day there are fewer casualties."

That's fine.

(not bothering with the rest of this -- this particular error annoys me.)

meh

Old June 9th 04, 02:24 PM
Holger Dansk

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:06:47 -0500, toto wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:54:33 GMT, Holger Dansk
wrote:

You are a nitwit. You don't graduate from Yale without some ability.

Unless you are the son of a famous alumna. Bush daddy got him in
and Bush daddy would have been displeased if he had not graduated,
so he graduated with a quite undistinguished record too.

There are lots of things to learn in college that are much more
important than grades.

Even his teachers at prep school were surprised that he was accepted
into Yale.

You can't go by what teachers say. One of James A. Michener's teachers
told him (much to her regret) that he would never be a writer.

Old June 9th 04, 02:26 PM
Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message

I've met too many highly literate children of illiterates,
black or otherwise, for this excuse to hold any water.

And to be fair, I've met a lot of white people who deserve the
criticism from Bill Cosby as well.

What sucks is the politicians who want to keep people like
cattle herds in ethnic ghettos so they can be assured of their captive
vote.

--------------------
You idiot, ghetto people don't vote at all!!

post proof for this claim

please bear in mind that you will have to prove that not one single person
of voting age who resides in a 'ghetto', has ever voted in any way shape or
form.

JUMP TO IT, BOY !!!!

If the black, Greek or Korean leaves the ghetto, heaven forbid,
they vote on their own - Better (for the pols) to keep them acting
like herds by providing things like bilingual education.

----------------------
Nonsense, people vote who are educated enough to do so and have
a belief that it will do any good! Those extremely few who happen
to bounce out of the ghetto lie a ping-pong ball in a barrel full
of mousetraps through one tiny hole aren't even representrative of
the rest of everyone they came from.

In by Bob LeChevalier
on Fri, 28 May 2004 19:47:31 -0400 we perused:

*+-I am sure that a small number of black slaves learned to read even
*+-though it was against the law. That would not negate the claim that
*+-blacks had insufficient access to any sort of education that would
*+-cause them to acquire native fluency in educated English.

*+-lojbab

-------------------
Ridiculous! That's like saying that one physicist in a family proves
that the rest of them are just pretending that they aren't physicists,
and that we should make them!!

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II

--------------------------------
Steve

Old June 9th 04, 02:35 PM
Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message
Jasper PNL Mfg Co, LTD wrote:

"Holger Dansk" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:44:38 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:03:11 GMT, "R. Steve Walz"

wrote:

Those people's labor for themselves would have done such

incredible
good that it cannot even be fathomed.

They wouldn't know what to do. There would not be anyone to tell

them
what to do.
-----------------
They knew what to do, they had been doing it FOR their masters for
ages.

Just like the black savages in Africa who have killed so many of

the
white farm owners. They worked in the field on some of these

farms,
but, after killing the boss, they don't know how to operate the

farm so
it just becomes a wasteland or goes back to undeveloped land.

Holger
--------------------
Nonsense, the racist friends of white slavers who had worked the
blacks cut off the seed supply, and the republicans here decided
not to help them. Sort of: "If us rich white guys can't own it
all, then nobody can, even the people who deserve to!"

Where in the world did you get that crap?

If you can't see how savage many of the blacks are in Africa, then,

I'm
sure people feel sorry for you.

You don't have a correct conception of what is right and wrong.

Brother Holger;

I feel that poor Stevie is slipping over the edge, and onto that long
slippery slope to becoming a total ranting idiot.

Please, continue in your assistance !

Jasper

---------------
You're merely his sock-puppet.
Steve

post your proof if you've got it, BOY

Old June 9th 04, 02:46 PM
E Kurtz

?George W. Bush, Fort Hood, Texas, April 11, 2004

Someone else wrote:
Then it should be I pray every day there are less casualties.
It's still incorrect.

dragonlady wrote
Close, but no cigar.
The proper statement is, "I pray every day there are fewer casualties."

"I pray every day there are fewer casualties." implies that I pray
only on those days when the number of casualties goes down below some
(unspecified) level.

What George obviously meant was "I pray every day that there will be
fewer casualties."

dragonlady clearly misoverestimated her abilities.
Old June 9th 04, 03:28 PM
Circe

Holger Dansk wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:57:16 -0400, Bob LeChevalier
wrote:

Holger Dansk wrote:
History makes very little reference to the slaves of the Greeks.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...greece+slavery

77,500 hits on ancient greece slavery.

Well, you probably didn't go to school, but, if you did, you would
probably see that, when you study Ancient Greek Civilization, very
little is said about slavery. They concentrate on the vast number
of things the Greeks contributed to the world and that western
civilization adopted today.

The Athenians were very wealthy as a group, due to their vast olive groves
(olives were the equivalent of oil in ancient times) and a vein of silver
that ran through their territory. That vein of silver was mined by--you
guessed it--slaves. 10,000-20,000 of them! It was this silver that was used
to build the 200 triremes that the Athenians used to defeat the Persians in
the Battle of Salamis.

I think you're correct, however, that high school courses probably don't
cover this stuff in any detail, possibly because it's considered "common
knowledge" that doesn't require explanation. As I said, as far as I know,
*every* ancient culture that produced great works of art, literature,
architecture, or science (and a fair number that *didn't* do anything
particularly smashing on those fronts) had some form of slavery. Slavery was
very much a societal norm in the ancient world; cultures without slavery
were the exception. Which also probably explains why ancient Greek slavery
doesn't get much attention compared to other specifically *Greek*
accomplishments. That doesn't mean, however, that it wasn't a very real
factor in Greek culture's ability to *achieve* those accomplishments.
--
Be well, Barbara