how much do states collect from the Fed for "collecting" childsupport money?

Old April 5th 08, 03:56 AM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

Default how much do states collect from the Fed for "collecting" childsupport money?

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can find this
information. Is it a percentage? A flat amount? If anyone here can
direct me towards good information on this, I would appreciate it.

Old April 5th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"whatamess" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can find this
information. Is it a percentage? A flat amount? If anyone here can
direct me towards good information on this, I would appreciate it.

Go to the Federal CSE web site and look for reports.

Your question implies several things - how much do the states earn federal
revenue from CS collections and related family law activities, how do they
earn it based on actual performance versus standards, and what are the
non-performance related criteria for getting paid by adopting federal
mandates.

But sifting through all the reports to Congress, and those required under
public disclosure laws, you can start to understand how the money flows and
how complicated it is to follow the money through the entire process.

Old April 5th 08, 06:48 PM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

On Apr 4, 11:29*pm, "Bob Whiteside" wrote:
"whatamess" wrote in message

I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can find this
information. *Is it a percentage? *A flat amount? *If anyone here can
direct me towards good information on this, I would appreciate it.

Go to the Federal CSE web site and look for reports.

Your question implies several things - how much do the states earn federal
revenue from CS collections and related family law activities, how do they
earn it based on actual performance versus standards, and what are the
non-performance related criteria for getting paid by adopting federal
mandates.

But sifting through all the reports to Congress, and those required under
public disclosure laws, you can start to understand how the money flows and
how complicated it is to follow the money through the entire process.

Ok, great! Believe me, I will sift through them...hehe
Old April 5th 08, 09:25 PM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"whatamess" wrote in message

[...]

-------------
You'll notice right off the bat it is difficult to make many conclusions
about trends. Report formats change, measurables change, and reported data
starts and stops between FY's.

Here is what I recall from the last time I looked at this stuff -

The report showing actual dollars paid out to each of the states for CS
compliance hasn't been published for several years.

Criteria used to calculate state "box scores" has been altered so there are
old and new performance ratings using different calculation methodologies.

The tables are where they hide the real data versus the write-ups that are
political spin and glowing self-promotion of their programs' successes.

Most reports are labeled "preliminary" and the final reports lag way behind.

Some positive reporting changes have occurred like adding in a performance
improvement category to reduce "collected but not dispersed" CS dollars
after it became common knowledge millions of dollars were being held by the
states and collection bonuses were being paid on gross dollars collected
without recognizing some of the collections never get dispersed.

Old April 5th 08, 11:26 PM posted to alt.child-support
whatamess

"whatamess" wrote in message

[...]

without recognizing some of the collections never get dispersed.- Hide quoted text -

Well, as I move soon (can't wait!) and have much more time on my
hands,
I will start going through it...I'm a system's analyst and known for
finding
every darn thing possible...very detail oriented in research,
etc...so, I will
spend some time trying to put this mess together.

In addition, I hope that when I move, I can actually come up with some
good
stuff to create a website and get the word out. Not the typical
father vs. mother stuff,
not the typical woman/man stuff...but again, with a spin that will
allow ALL PEOPLE,
even if NOT involved in CS, to read the information and be disgusted
by it...and
later find out that it's related to CS...I don't want to have CS or
divorce anywhere
near most of the information, otherwise, people that are not in the
situation, will
not listen...

example...if we can figure out what this system costs tax payers, I
would never
say...what the CS office costs tax payers...people who don't pay CS
won't believe it,
and people who don't pay, will ignore it...but if I instead put
something along the lines
of "YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK (like some show they used to have), with
OUTRAGEOUS things, without naming the actual CSE office until the end
or as a side
note, I can assure you people will start to take notice. The problem
is that if the
headline contains divorce or child support, most people's view is
already "deadbeat dad"
complaining again...we need to ensure that they have NO CLUE what it's
related to,
so that they take the time to actually find the truth first and THEN
find out what it's
related to...

Thanks for your help...I'm sure that once I move... (sometime in May),
I'll start gathering
info for this and will talk to all of you more often...
Old April 6th 08, 02:10 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"whatamess" wrote in message

[...]

The 30,000 foot level answer to your original question about how much the
states can get in federal money is as follows:

By adopting IV-D CS program directives the states get 2/3 of the cost of
operating their program paid by the feds.

Tied directly to the CS program adoption are federal welfare program block
grants as an additional incentive to adopt the federal IV-D rules and any
changes.

There are also annual performance incentives that are essentially cost to
collection ratio calculations. The bonus amounts vary from 6-10% based on
actual performance.

The states also get access to the Federal Parent Locator System which is a
$4 billion computer tracking system. This is in addition to other support
services provided at the federal level that come out of the $4.6 billion
annual Federal OCSE operating budget.

Old April 6th 08, 02:32 AM posted to alt.child-support
Gini[_2_]

"Bob Whiteside" wrote

The 30,000 foot level answer to your original question about how much the
states can get in federal money is as follows:

By adopting IV-D CS program directives the states get 2/3 of the cost of
operating their program paid by the feds.

Tied directly to the CS program adoption are federal welfare program block
grants as an additional incentive to adopt the federal IV-D rules and any
changes.

There are also annual performance incentives that are essentially cost to
collection ratio calculations. The bonus amounts vary from 6-10% based on
actual performance.

The states also get access to the Federal Parent Locator System which is a
$4 billion computer tracking system. This is in addition to other support
services provided at the federal level that come out of the $4.6 billion
annual Federal OCSE operating budget.

===
Do we know how many kids this amount of money would pull out of poverty if
these funds were transferred to the CP as child support rather than used to
support the bureaucracy? Too, how much money is spent to collect 100. a
month child support from an NCP living on minimum wage?

Old April 6th 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"Gini" wrote in message
"Bob Whiteside" wrote

[...]

You'd make a horrible bureaucrat. They already spend the money to keep kids
out of poverty. s/ One of their favorite games is to claim how many former
welfare dependent children they have pulled out of poverty. Here is how
they do it - Any mother who has ever had any type of public assistance in
her lifetime is classified as a CP they have helped remove from welfare.
The bureaucracy takes credit for CS orders and collections removing women
from welfare dependency even when the dependency was temporary like needing
food stamps before a college educated mother and father gets a job after
graduation.

Too, how much money is spent to collect 100. a
month child support from an NCP living on minimum wage?

On average they collect about $3.50 for every $1 spent collecting it. When
you consider over 85% of the money they collect is for non-TANF cases that
would be paid without spending anything, the cost effectiveness of
collecting lower-end income earners CS is far more expensive than the
average would indicate. It frosts my butt to watch the bureaucracy hide
what really is going on by co-mingling statistics to make them look good.

Old April 6th 08, 11:07 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris

--
[Any man that's good enough to support a child is good enough to have
custody of such child]

..
..
"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"Gini" wrote in message
[...]

How about the fact that they sue him for being a father? Worse, he didn't
even make the choice to be a father!

Old April 6th 08, 08:56 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB[_4_]

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in

The states also get access to the Federal Parent Locator System which is a
$4 billion computer tracking system.

That's about the same cost to run the IRS each year!

more reason to abolish government run institutions!