Opinions on induction??

Old March 26th 04, 12:24 PM
Jill

Default Opinions on induction??

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
Jill, this is really your decision to make. It sounds like you are
seriously considering this snip

I was thinking about it, but have definitely decided no way unless there is
a good medical reason. I am not even going to mention it or ask doctors
(well, or the new midwife I will see on Tuesday!) about it at all. If it
doesn't even come up that is fine with me! lol.

Old March 26th 04, 02:01 PM
Kathy Cole

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:25:31 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

Knowing exactly when you're going to have your baby is NOT a good
medical reason.

And the induction date can only be relied on as the start of the
process, not the completion; induction day for my oldest son (at 42w0d)
was not his birthday. He was born a day and a half after the induction
began.
Old March 26th 04, 03:45 PM

"Jill" wrote in message .com...

snip
What bothers me, if I didn't read here, doctors don't tell you this type of
thing! I actually think a lot of people choose or agree to induction because
their doctor says "sure, why not?"...scary. But, also, I don't know why so
many people in my husband's family had them-- I didn't even realize they did
inductions 30 years ago.

snip

I would recommend Henci Goer's _A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better
Birth_, which has a ton of useful research in it, if you want to read
even more about inductions, the things that can go wrong with
inductions, and the conditions that make an induction most likely to
succeed. IIRC she also talks quite a bit about induction for
suspected large baby and how there's really no benefit to an induction
in that case.

(Were all the pregnant women in your husband's family gestational
diabetic? Or are the babies just large? Don't forget that *your*
genes are involved here too, and that you're going to get your own
labor, birth, and baby -- not theirs!)

From reading here I think I am more inclined to agree to a natural
childbirth with no meds than an induction. Also, I'm phobic of abdominal
surgery so don't want to risk doing anything to cause myself to need a
C-section. I could handle one if necessary, but then after that I would
still always want a VBAC if possible, that's how much I hate abdominal
surgery, no matter how minor.

C-sections aren't minor, just routine. Laproscopic surgery is minor.
VBACs are getting really hard to come by these days, for political
reasons. Relax; you're designed to have a baby. A lot of birthing
problems arise when we try to micromanage labor, a process we still
don't understand very well.

As someone else said in this thread, save the C-section for if you
ever *really* need it.

--
C, mama to seventeen month old nursling
Old March 26th 04, 04:15 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:24:00 +0000, Jill wrote:

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
Jill, this is really your decision to make. It sounds like you are
seriously considering this snip

I was thinking about it, but have definitely decided no way unless there is
a good medical reason. I am not even going to mention it or ask doctors
(well, or the new midwife I will see on Tuesday!) about it at all. If it
doesn't even come up that is fine with me! lol.

I'm glad you have decided against it! I hope you like the midwife, I have
always preferred them over OB/GYN care.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)