A stroller question for experienced parents: how many needed?

Old September 13th 03, 08:54 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Default A stroller question for experienced parents: how many needed?

Erin wrote:

How many strollers do you own?

Zero. Haven't seen a need for one yet (DD is 3.5 months),
and will put off a purchase until I do see a need.

Phoebe

Old September 13th 03, 09:14 PM
Clisby

Erin wrote:
I have a question for all those newsgroup readers out there who are already
parents: How many strollers do you own?

DH and I are trying to decide which of the 500 varieties available is right
for baby #1, and we're kind of clueless as to how to pick. We read about one
called the Bugaboo Frog that won all sorts of design awards for its
versatility, but it costs a lot. But then my brother told me that he ended
up buying 3 strollers for his first son, and when the second baby came
along, they sprang for a fourth. 3-4 strollers can add up to a lot of
money, too, which makes me wonder if springing for one expensive stroller
that can be used from newborn through age 3 is the better way to go.

Does anyone actually have the bugaboo, or something similar? Any advice
would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Erin, edd 10/26/03

I'm not sure why you'd want more than one at any given time. I have 2
children, and we had:

Child #1:

1 infant-type stroller (the kind that reclines for a baby or lets an
older child sit up. I have no idea what type it was - it was a gift.

I don't think we used this after our daughter was about 8 months old.
At that point, I bought an umbrella stroller, which she loved. She
didn't use a stroller much past age 2.

Child #2:

1 infant-type stroller - another gift. We used this until he was
almost 1, and then bought:

1 jogging stroller. My husband likes to take our 19-month-old along on
his morning walk, which can be anything from 2-5 miles. He highly
recommends the jogging stroller.

I've never paid more than $15 for a stroller, so I'm no help in prices.

Clisby

Old September 13th 03, 10:33 PM
Nina

I had one stroller I used when my son was born, it was a Graco and had a
hood/boot thing so it could be made into a carriage. I used that for 2
years, then got a Graco front-back double stroller when my daughter was born
and used that one another 3 years.I carry my babies, so have no intention of
getting one of those car seat/stroller type thingies. When mine were small
enough for one of those, I preferred the carriage type thing or a Snugli.

nk.net...

Old September 14th 03, 09:01 AM
Hope

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:51:33 GMT, "Erin"
wrote:

[...]

I have a sling, and a cheapo umbrella stroller. A friend lent me a
nicer (bigger heavier) stroller/pram that we use on long walks in
urban areas, now that my baby is old enough to enjoy the stroller
experience. She wouldn't have a bar of *any* stroller til she was 6-7
months old :-).

Hope

--
Riley 1993 c/s
Tara 2002 HBAC

Old September 14th 03, 11:13 AM
Cheryl

wrote:

I have a question for all those newsgroup readers out there who are already
parents: How many strollers do you own?

DH and I are trying to decide which of the 500 varieties available is right
for baby #1, and we're kind of clueless as to how to pick. We read about one
called the Bugaboo Frog that won all sorts of design awards for its
versatility, but it costs a lot. But then my brother told me that he ended
up buying 3 strollers for his first son, and when the second baby came
along, they sprang for a fourth. 3-4 strollers can add up to a lot of
money, too, which makes me wonder if springing for one expensive stroller
that can be used from newborn through age 3 is the better way to go.

I bought an expensive stroller that goes from newborn to age 3. At
that time I had no idea that a 14 kg (approx 30lb) stroller was a
really, really bad idea. We still have that stroller, a front/back
tandem, a light umbrella stroller and another very light stroller that
goes newborn to age 3. The tandem was used for about 12 months tops,
the light umbrella stroller is too low for me to use without bending,
the heavy stroller I got a lot of use out of because it is so sturdy
that I could put more than one child in it, but I predominantly use
the light 0-3 stroller because it's a) light and b) easier to fold up
and stick in the car.

It's important to work out exactly what you are going to mostly use it
for. A heavy stroller is fine if you are going to be doing most of
your stroller walking in shopping malls etc, but if you are going to
be walking up and down hills or travelling on public transport a light
one is a much better idea. And if you are planning on more than one
child then looking at additional features like toddler seats and those
buggy boards for a toddler to sit/stand on are a good idea too.

The best advice I can give you is to go to a store and have a try at
both folding up and unfolding the stroller, and then lift it to the
average height of your car boot. If you can't do it easily, keep
looking.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old September 14th 03, 01:32 PM
AGreen1209

I have a question for all those newsgroup readers out there who are already
parents: How many strollers do you own?

We have two kids, DS is almost 4 and DD is 15 months. We have three strollers,
the big Graco that was part of a travel system we bought when DS was born, a
small umbrella stroller, and a Graco double stroller that we use only
occasionally.

Of all of them, the Graco that came with the travel system is the one we use
most. It's big enough for either kid, it has big nubby all-terrain tires so it
works well on bumpy sidewalks, going over curbs, etc, and there is a lot of
storage space underneath the seat. It also has a nice canopy to protect from
sunlight.

The double stroller is nice, but it is a bit cumbersome to move around, is hard
to manuever in stores, and doesn't have the big tires. It is a Graco DuoGlide.

You need to take into consideration how often you'll be using a stroller, and
for what. We use it mostly for trips to the mall or the zoo, hence the need
for comfort, manueverability, and lots of storage for bags.

Amanda

Old September 14th 03, 02:01 PM
Mary W.

I have a question for all those newsgroup readers out there who are already
parents: How many strollers do you own?

We own 3. The big travel system that we used for the first year. Liked it
well enough. Loved the idea of snapping the carseat into it. Next time
we'll probably get a snap n go or kolcraft (?) for that. The stroller of the
travel system is really big and bulky.

At a year we bought a Graco Citylite stroller and *love* it. Its light weight,
really smooth moving, reclines a bit. The basket is kind of small, is my only
complaint (Oh and its only a 3 point harness).

We also have a cheap umbrelle stroller and hate it. The handles are too
short, there is no basket and DD looks really scrunched up in it. Never
use it.

Wish we had bought the snap n go and the Citylite. Those would have
been great. Oh and we used the Baby bjorn alot when DD was little
and the backpack alot since.

Mary

Old September 14th 03, 04:45 PM
April

I have a Graco system, all in one. Has the infant car seat that snaps into
the enormous all terrain buggy itself......love it. Once the baby outgrows
the car seat you sit them in the regular seat part and face forward (the
other way they face you )........very cool system. Used it alot.

--
April
Proud mom of Julianna 11/28/99

"Erin" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

..
Old September 14th 03, 05:50 PM
Sophie

"Erin" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

I have 3 children and I have a Graco stroller (plain one, not a travel
system), and 2 jog strollers (a 3 wheeled one and a 4 wheeled one). At my
mom's I have an old McClaren and a Graco Duo.

With Child #1 we were in Cuba so we were limited with the selection and we
got that 4 wheeled jog one. If I were to only have 1 child where I am now,
I would only have a carseat and a Baby Bjorn. I can't see when I'd ever use
a stroller.

As for expensive strollers, try eBay. My friend bought a brand new McClaren
for half price on eBay. She gave me her old one (10 yrs old) and it was
still in great condition.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 14th 03, 08:40 PM
Catheleijne Berck

Erin wrote:

[...]

I have the bugaboo - it's a Dutch product and I didn't know they sell
them outside the Netherlands.
DD is 10 weeks old today so I have only used the bassinet. I like it
alot, it's easy to fold down, fits in the trunk easily and is very easy
to push because of the swivelling front wheels.
It is pricey though, the accessories are very expensive too...

Cath
Mom to Fenna, born 07/05/03