washing cloth diapers? - Chinese prefolds

Old January 24th 04, 06:29 AM
-L.

Default washing cloth diapers? - Chinese prefolds

Hi All,

For those of you who wash cloth- what method do you use?

I have the method from weebees.com, but it seems like it calls for an
awful lot of cycles. I have purchased Chinese prefolds from weebees
and want to identify the best method for keeping them in good shape -
I'd like to use them for multiple babies. This will be a newborn if
that makes any difference.

TIA for any info!!

-L.
Old January 24th 04, 06:44 AM
Denise Anderson

"-L." wrote in message
m...
Hi All,

For those of you who wash cloth- what method do you use?

I have the method from weebees.com, but it seems like it calls for an
awful lot of cycles. I have purchased Chinese prefolds from weebees
and want to identify the best method for keeping them in good shape -
I'd like to use them for multiple babies. This will be a newborn if
that makes any difference.

TIA for any info!!

-L.

I wash once with detergent and a cold rinse, and then I do a cold rinse with
no detergent. I've used the same diapers for 2 babies so far.

Old January 24th 04, 10:30 AM
Elana Kehoe

-L. wrote:

For those of you who wash cloth- what method do you use?

We do a 60 degree wash with a vinegar rinse, then two clear water rinses
(one hot, one cold). Still being used on the first kid, but seem to be
holding up well.
--
"In Finnegans Wake, he just made up words.
Now that's just not sporting!"
Old January 24th 04, 02:12 PM
just me

"-L." wrote in message
m...
Hi All,

For those of you who wash cloth- what method do you use?

I have the method from weebees.com, but it seems like it calls for an
awful lot of cycles. I have purchased Chinese prefolds from weebees
and want to identify the best method for keeping them in good shape -
I'd like to use them for multiple babies. This will be a newborn if
that makes any difference.

I ran my cloth diapers through a soak cycle and then washed like anything
else. Others may give you more cycles, and wash in various things like
vinegar. What I did worked for me, the diapers lasted just fine, were
absorbent, and we had no real problems.

Good luck and enjoy your baby!

-Aula

Old January 24th 04, 03:24 PM
0tterbot

"-L." wrote in message
m...
Hi All,

For those of you who wash cloth- what method do you use?

I have the method from weebees.com, but it seems like it calls for an
awful lot of cycles.

i am certain some people make washing nappies into something absurdly
complicated. no idea why.

I have purchased Chinese prefolds from weebees
and want to identify the best method for keeping them in good shape -
I'd like to use them for multiple babies. This will be a newborn if
that makes any difference.

TIA for any info!!

no idea what chinese prefolds are, but i soaked the nappies in a bucket with
soaker stuff until the bucket was full, then did an ordinary warm wash cycle
(just of nappies, nothing else). baby #2 didn't stay in cloth nappies too
long (eczema) but his poos were much more liquidy than baby #1, & sometimes
"shadows" stayed on the cloth, but after being dried in the sun, there was
no problem. soaker solution's not even needed for wet nappies, a quick rinse
will do, but i quickly worked out it was easier (for me) to just add them
all together & do a nappies-only load.

i still have many of the nappies after 8 years - after being used on bottoms
& for protecting against spit-up on shoulders & the other many & varied uses
you'll find for these wonderful objects, i've found the thickest brand i got
are still in good shape whereas the thinnest brand are frayed at the edges &
a bit too thin to be used as nappies on bottoms - so i'd recommend anyone to
buy a thick good-quality brand from the get-go. they're good for years after
for wiping up big spills & millions of other things.

using a dryer wears fabric much faster.
kylie
--
www.rdj.com.au

Old January 24th 04, 08:35 PM
Sidheag McCormack

k3 e81 writes:

Thanks to all who replied (and will reply). These diapers are 100%
cotton, 4X8X4 Chinese prefolds. Seems that weebees method is overkill -
they wash poopy diapers 1X in cold, then add peed dipes, and wash twice
- once in warm, once in hot - all with washing soda and detergent. But
they don't soak the pooped ones, so that may be why. Interesting how
there are so many methods out there!

Probably a *lot* depends on your machine as well - incidentally I'm still
mystified as to why the typical US washing machine seems to be so primitive
by comparison with the typical W. European one! We dry pail, then do a cold
rinse without detergent and then a 60C cottons/linens cycle with non-bio
washing powder. For the latter we press the "extra wash" and "extra rinse"
buttons, but that's definitely machine dependent - ours is designed to
default to the economical/environmentally friendly option which isn't quite
enough for nappies. This works fine, including for very thick shaped
nappies which are harder to get clean than prefolds IME. So I don't think
it's the lack of soaking that's the issue, since we never soak. Nothing
beats experimentation though...

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old January 25th 04, 01:41 AM
Michelle J. Haines

In article , k3_e81
@yahoo.com says...

Thanks to all who replied (and will reply). These diapers are 100%
cotton, 4X8X4 Chinese prefolds. Seems that weebees method is overkill
- they wash poopy diapers 1X in cold, then add peed dipes, and wash
twice - once in warm, once in hot - all with washing soda and
detergent. But they don't soak the pooped ones, so that may be why.
Interesting how there are so many methods out there!

I run everything through a presoak and rinse in cold water. (If
we're in the solid foods phase, I'll probably add a second cold water
rinse in here.) Then I wash everything on hot water. Then I put in
some vinegar for a final rinse. I've found that without the vinegar,
the first set or two of diapers may not have any odors, but it will
build up and the other clothes will start to have a slight odor, too.
It's much more pronounced in the solid food phase, of course.

Michelle
Flutist

--
Drift on a river, That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you
Old January 25th 04, 05:21 PM
-L.

Michelle J. Haines wrote in message .. .
In article , k3_e81
@yahoo.com says...

[...]

Have you ever tried vinegar in a Downy rinse ball? One site I read
suggesting doing that, then just throwing it in the wash so that you
don't have to try to catch the rinse cycle. I thought that was pretty
clever, but I wonder how well it really works.

-L.