Reggio Emilia schools?

Old January 25th 07, 07:33 AM posted to misc.kids
-L.

Default Reggio Emilia schools?

Do any of you have kids who are in RE-centered Preschools? What have
your experiences been (positive or negative)? TIA for any input.

-L.
(I may not be able to respond to any replies - Google changed format
and is whacky right now...)

Old January 25th 07, 03:05 PM posted to misc.kids
Mary W.

On Jan 25, 1:33 am, "-L." wrote:
Do any of you have kids who are in RE-centered Preschools? What have
your experiences been (positive or negative)? TIA for any input.

My two girls have been in an RE-inspired daycare. DD1 was there from
14 months through pre-K (she's now in a private kindergarten). DD2
is there now (she's 2.5 years) and has been since she was a baby.
All in all, we love it. The buidling was designed with RE philosophy
in mind so there is lots of open spaces and natural light. Both my
girls have done well with the child-led curriculum. I think with my
older
daughter the Reggio philosophy was implemented better because
she had an outstanding teacher who stayed with her class for the
entire 4 years she was there. And while I adore my DD2's teacher,
she's relatively new and the implementation isn't quite as effective
as with my first daughter. The other issue is that my girl's school is
daycare that serves a specific community, so it's not a group of
parents that have chosen a RE school - they've chosen a convenient
daycare. I think in a true RE inspired school the parent participation
and commitment are much higher and really add to the success
of the method.

I like the documentation that the teachers do, it really helps me
see what has been going on and the progress the kids are
making. I like the fact that they are exposed to many different
ways of learning and different materials (both kids have been
working with clay since they were babies, the school has a kiln
to fire it). The school also has a dedicated art teacher and art
studio which results in some very neat projects.

If Clisby is around, her older child attended a RE school for awhile
(beyond pre-K) and she spoke very highly of it.

-L.
(I may not be able to respond to any replies - Google changed format
and is whacky right now...)

Took me awhile to figure out how to reply to this! The new format is a
little startling.

Mary W.

Old January 25th 07, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby

Mary W. wrote:
On Jan 25, 1:33 am, "-L." wrote:

[...]

Yes, I'm around. I LOVED my daughter's private school in Atlanta, but I
think the RE influence was a lot stronger in the preschool classes,
which I didn't have any experience with. (Emma started there in
kindergarten). Past preschool, I would say it was more heavily
influenced by Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. (Not
that Gardner's ideas are inconsistent with RE.) However, it did use RE
ideas like open spaces, natural light, and integration of the arts into
the curriculum. And similar to what Mary said, the evaluations I got
far surpassed anything I've gotten here (2 public schools for my
daughter, a private Montessori school for my son.)

I think a number of Atlanta preschools (and possibly preschools all over
the country) have been influenced by the Reggio Emilia approach. I
remember an NAEYC conference in Atlanta having RE presentations, so I
assume the the ideas, at least, are pretty widespread. I know of only
one preschool here in Charleston that I'd call RE-inspired, and
unfortunately I couldn't get my son in - it's run by the College of
Charleston education department, and staff and faculty generally get all
the spots.

I think, though, it boils down to what you like in a particular
preschool. It's like Montessori - any preschool can call itself
Montessori, or say it's inspired by the Reggio Emilia approach. That,
alone, doesn't tell you much.

Clisby