Safety Harness For Kids

Old April 23rd 04, 02:05 PM
Buck Turgidson

Default Safety Harness For Kids

I have twin boys (20 mos). One of them has decided that it is fun to run
into the street while walking. We live in a typical suburban subdivision,
but it is enough of a concern to want to get a harness for him, to keep him
from darting out into the street.

But gosh, I feel guilty doing so, and feel like I am walking a dog.

Should I just get over it? Anyone else uncomfortable with this?

Old April 23rd 04, 02:21 PM
Ellen Kmetz

When it comes to their safety, who cares what people think? I used the
harnesses last summer for amusement parks and sometimes in the grocery store,
and honestly, all I got were good comments. At 20 mos. they are probably not
liking sitting in the stroller too much anymore and just want to be free! My
boys didn't really like them, so it helped me teach them that they have walk
right next to me or their "string" would go back on. That happened over time,
though, at the amusement parks they had no choice. They were an absolute
lifesaver, both literally and figuratively!

Good luck,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old April 23rd 04, 02:28 PM
Peggy

I had this same concern! I have 23-month-old twin girls and they run in
every direction. I think that harnesses would be an ideal solution, but I'm
afraid people are going to look at me like I'm cruel or crazy. They are too
active to want to sit in a stroller all the time. Lots of people disagree
with these, however I think our child's safety is more important then other
people's opinions. Anybody have any thoughts?

Peggy

s.com...

Old April 23rd 04, 04:36 PM
Ellie

I think attitudes in the UK are different from the US. After a couple of
well publicised abduction cases, one of them sadly resulting in murder
safety harnesses are quite popular and if I see a toddler running around on
the loose I often think what are the parents thinking of - where's the
safety harness?

I think safety has to be paramount whatever others think.

Ellie