My Twins Are Ten :-D

Old July 19th 04, 05:06 AM
Jennifer

Default My Twins Are Ten :-D

Julie,

Your kids' schedule reminds me of how J.'s used to be, before she committed
to swimming in her early teens. We used to have her do that
rotation--soccer, softball, basketball, etc. B. & E. aren't very interested
in sports, which is partly because of us, I'm sure...we're not big into the
whole process, *especially* since it ate up so much of our time with J. when
she was little, and now we have more kids! :-) Still, I feel bad about it
at times, because I think Em would like to play soccer more than she has
(we've tried a few leagues, including a good non-competitive one this past
spring). Then B. really enjoyed tennis lessons this summer, which is the
only sport he's *ever* seemed interested in (our pool offers free swim and
tennis lessons, so I'd registered E., and B. surprised me by wanting to
try!).

Even though DH and I spent years sort of pooh-poohing sports, I think we
were wrong to have done so...look at how much scholarship money J. got for
college, besides which keeping her body strong and fit was (IMO) a major
factor for her never getting involved in alcohol, drugs, etc. She was so
intent on getting up at 4 a.m. every day to train for swimming and improve
on her times, that she stayed busy and healthy. Now that I'm more aware of
that benefit to sports, I'm trying to be more open-minded. I was always
more the "oh, just study and read and concentrate on academics alone, plus
throw in all the musical education," which is no longer my only
consideration. Wow, I learned something after raising 1 kid. ;-)

Don't you love small classrooms?? Our kids' school restricts every class,
kindergarten through eighth grade, to no more than 20 students per room and
60 total students per grade. There's no way a child can fall under the
radar with that sort of attention! My kids also test similarly, except B.
is incredible in math and logic. They both test post-high school in most
subjects and get top grades, so I'm not worried about them
academically...which leads me back to needing to give them something else in
their lives. :-)

I know what you mean about the overscheduling worry. As I mentioned, with
J. in all those sports, DH and I thought she'd burn out. But instead, she
just kept feeding off more and more energy she brought to her life, and
somehow she ended up accomplishing so much and not burning out at all. More
for me to think about...

With clarinet (well, an instrument) being necessary for the next four years
for my twins, plus Scouts and middle school academics, I think much beyond
that is tough. B. is continuing with his private voice lessons, b/c he has
a real love and talent for singing (he's a boy soprano, lol). :-) I *just*
began B. & E. with private piano lessons, after waiting to be sure they were
*really* ready...and they're not ready. That is, they need to practice
20-30 minutes each day, and E. says she doesn't think she wants to stick
with it (they've been to 3 lessons each). B. would continue but doesn't
want to without his sister. Grrr! So I'm going to let piano go, b/c I will
*not* be on the sideline nagging them to practice!

Regarding the Scouts, B. and E. were involved in *nothing* outside of
school, and I required them to choose something extracurricular to widen
their horizons. They weren't excited about Scouts at the beginning, but
now, a year later, they've really gotten into it, and they've accomplished a
lot personally and for the community. Also, it has helped B. so much with
getting along with boys (he always was friends with girls and has 3 sisters
& no brothers). I have been very happy with their involvement in scouting.

About Erica not trying things Chris is good at, that happens here, too. As
I said, Bryan is a whiz at math, so for a while Emi would insist she's *not*
good at math (she's fine, just not outstanding). Then B. would devour a
particular series of books, and Emi would act as if that series were his
alone to read, and she'd go for something else. :-) Or Emi was the early
bike reader, and Bryan was quite a ways behind...and she's the one "into"
sports, and he's not...you never really know what part of these decisions is
natural and what part is each twin wanting not to be compared to the other,
right? I can totally understand each one wanting his/her own niche.

B. and E. are in the same school but in different classes, from kindergarten
on (they were together in 3-year-old and 4-year-old preschool, which were 2
mornings and 3 mornings a week, respectively). It can be hard, because they
know all the same kids (only 60 per grade, including them), and the kids go
from kindergarten up to 8th grade together. Emi is my social butterfly,
while B. is a *lot* more reserved and quiet. Most of the kids are drawn to
E., and I hope that doesn't bug B. (it doesn't seem to, but you know how
parents worry!).

I intentionally put Emi in a Girl Scout troop affiliated with another
school, and Bryan is also in a Boy Scout den affiliated with another school.
They can meet different children/friends that way. :-)

Jennifer

"Julie" wrote in message
Jennifer --

The kids basically play whatever sport is in season -- soccer in the fall,
baseball in the spring, and they're both doing tennis, golf, and swimming
this summer. They also take gymnastics one day a week during the fall and
spring, but I'm not sure how long they'll continue with that. They both
really like it, but as they get older, the other sports take more time. I
already feel like they're overscheduled certain times of the year, but

there
is nothing that they *don't* want to do. Baseball was 3 times a week

during
some of the spring weeks, which I found surprising for a 6-7 year old

team.
They are both on the same team by choice and also by logistics. Soccer
doesn't have teams yet -- they just get together and do drills and
scrimmages. I'm not sure if that will change in second grade. This is a
very rural area, so it's not like there are huge leagues with lots of

teams
[case in point: the next town over from us has a "regional" elementary
school that three towns -- but not ours -- send their kids to. There were
only eight in kindergarten this year, and will be only six next year!

From
three towns! Our own town is somewhat bigger, but still only 25-30 kids

per
grade].

We also ski quite a bit in the winter, and they are both terrific skiers.

AND, I just bought a piano today (only have to figure out how to move
it!!!), so I am quite excited to start teaching them to read music and

play
a bit, if they're interested.

Thus far (knock, knock, knock), we've been really lucky on the competition
front. They both have strengths and weaknesses, but they seem to be happy
for each other rather than begrudging the other. They both get identical
grades in school, which helps (well, except for handwriting, but he's

coming
along and I've never put any weight on handwriting grades, anyway: I'd
rather a kid write a lot sloppily than decide that writing neatly is such

hassle that they'll just write short sentences). The only thing that I do
notice is that Erica doesn't like to try things that Chris is clearly

better
at (e.g. she rarely rides her bike without a lot of encouragement from

us).
Hopefully that's a short phase we can steer her out of. Chris is not
similarly inclined. He'll try anything.

Do B & E go to the same school? Are they in the same class? Are they
competitive?

Oh -- and the x-posted irrelevant thread is an anomaly. We haven't had

one
of those for a while. Things do seem to have more slow lulls nowadays;
occasionally we'll go 48 hours without a new post (or maybe it's just my

ISP
burping...), but then the activity resumes.

Julie
Mom to Erica & Chris, 07/97

"Jennifer" wrote in message
Hey Julie! :-D Yeah, I'm still on the floor. Tonight at dinner I was
telling the kids that I honestly don't remember how we got Janna to

college
age. Surely the next 8 years for the twins wouldn't go as quickly,

right?
At that moment, Emily was making fish faces and fishy noises, and the
thought of her being ready for college made us all crack up. ROFL! :-D

We
finally decided she might be accepted at Fish U, and that's about it.

Wow, your kids are growing up, too! g I guess that happens, lol.

Bryan
likes being a twin, but Emi doesn't so much. However, I think she just
wants to be an only child, and I can sympathize (she's not the oldest,

or
the youngest, or the only boy, and she's even the younger of the
twins)...but we've tried to talk to her about being nice when asked, "Do

you
like being a twin?" so as to avoid hurting her twin brother's feelings!

DH turns 41 next month and he's been "snipped," so we're definitely
done...besides, in the fall we'll have 3 kids in private school and 1

kid
in
private college *GULP*. We are saving up for retirement and paying off

the
mortgage, lol!

What kind of sports do your kids like? Are they on the same team? Are

they
competitive?

I'll work on my filters. :-)

Jennifer

Old July 19th 04, 05:10 AM
Jennifer

Glad to know your kids are good. :-) Now I remember the Elkhound...and I
probably already told you once that we were *this* close to getting one. DH
told me today we need to get another dog, and I just groaned. I love our
dog, but it makes it tough to travel. Having two dogs would be that much
more planning!

I hope your move goes well!

Jennifer

"Nick Theodorakis" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:27:08 -0400, "Jennifer"
wrote:

ROFL! How do you remember that?? :-D Don't tell me you have one... I
remember you well, but not your dog, so excuse my failing memory. ;-)

Yes, I'm the one with the Buhund, and she's just turned 6 and thriving!

Are
you still posting regularly? How are your kids?

I don't post much anymore, but I still read, or at list skim, this ng
regularly.

I remembered your dog 'coz we have a Norwegian Elkhound.

The kids are good; we're getting ready for a move to Indianapolis
around the end of the month (new job, or perhaps more correctly, same
job in a different place).

Nick

Old July 19th 04, 03:21 PM
Missy in Indiana

Default My Twins Are Ten :-D - Nick

we're getting ready for a move to Indianapolis
around the end of the month (new job, or perhaps more correctly, same
job in a different place).

I'd like to be the first to welcome you and your family to Indy! I absolutely
LOVE it here and I hope you do, too. In my old career, many I worked for,
with, or trained were transplants who were uneasy at first. Not a single soul
can I remember being unhappy after the people and city grew on them. I hope
you find a similar experience!

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old July 19th 04, 03:25 PM
Missy in Indiana

So a big HELLO to those of you old and new!!

"Hello" to you, too. It sounds like you have some wonderful children and all
is well. With one entering college, you know all to well how fast time flies!
Enjoy the upcoming school year.

B/G twins here Janine Twins & Triplets 1 May 19th 04 03:43 PM
Friend pregnant with twins in hospital :( Jill Pregnancy 6 February 2nd 04 09:15 PM
We're Having Boy/Girl Twins Meg Twins & Triplets 38 November 29th 03 08:37 AM
Woman of 58 gives birth to twins after successful IVF treatment [email protected] Pregnancy 10 July 23rd 03 08:18 AM