kindergarten

Old July 27th 04, 10:34 PM
Seth Jackson

Default kindergarten

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:17:42 GMT, "multimom4"
wrote:

Aha, December 1, got it. Wish we had had that for mine -- we only do half
day K here in public school so that would have been fine for EHC.

It's been suggested to me that it's actually better to hold the kids
back a year so that they're not the youngest in the class.

My thought on your son's disappointment at not being together is to stress
that they will ride the bus together (if they will, of course), and have
recess together (I assume ...) and so on. Plus any other activities -- like
after school daycare or swim class or whatever. And how they can share
stories at the end of the day, blah blah.

No school bus here. Daddy drives them together, though. Derek seems
to have adjusted well to being separated from his sister, so no
problem.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...ypictures.html

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Old July 27th 04, 11:00 PM
H Schinske

Seth Jackson wrote:

It's been suggested to me that it's actually better to hold the kids
back a year so that they're not the youngest in the class.

This really depends on the kids. There is no one right answer that applies to
every child. When they're at the cusp, some are going to be fine either way,
some are going to be better off waiting and being the oldest, and some are
going to be benefited by going ahead and being the youngest. It's a question of
where the child is going to fit in best, and it's a shame that it has to be
decided so young. I've got three late summer kids, in a district with a Sept. 1
cutoff, and I really do feel that in *their* cases they have all been better
off being the youngest in their classes. I was nearly the oldest in mine, for
what it's worth, and I don't feel that it gave me any advantage, it simply put
me *more* out of synch with the other kids instead of less.

--Helen

Old July 29th 04, 02:20 AM
Cindy Senger

Just wanted to jump in here. Ashlyn and Allyson start full-day K on Aug. 23.
They will be in separate classes. The age cutoff here is Sept. 30. When I was
growing up it was Dec. 31. I have a mid-Nov. birthday and was one of the
younger ones in the class. A&A were the youngest in their preschool class, but
did very well. They were in the same class in preschool and really seem ready
to separate-- they virtually ignored each other the last few weeks of preschool
when they were there. I'm ready for them to be separated, too. There were a
couple of kids in their preschool class who still (after two years) didn't know
which of my girls was which-- despite one wearing glasses, one being blonde,
one being brunette, one being bigger than the other, etc. It is like they just
didn't bother to learn which kid went with which name. And their teacher was
wonderful-- she was very careful not to group them together and did a fantastic
job differentiating. Has this happened with anyone else?

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...

So, anyone else starting kindergarten this fall?? Keeping them in the same
class, or separating? Public or private school? When do you start and what

is
the age cutoff date.

We start Sept. 7 and I'm hoping to keep them together. At least in the
beginning. For stability. This is the boys' 4th move, and going to an all
day, every day, school with large classes, in yet another new town are big
changes. Plus they will be a young 5. I already asked about this at the
school when I picked up the registration packet, and the lady said for me to
include a letter with my reasons to keep them together and they would consider
it. So I conclude that they automatically separate twins.

Our age cutoff date is Sept. 30. If we had stayed in Kansas, they wouldn't
have made the cutoff, which is end of August. But I think my boys are ready.
I can tell they are on the cusp of reading, and they are getting really good

at
addition. This is a big change from last year, when I was much more
apprehensive about their maturity.

Would love to hear from ya!

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99