dyslexia question

Old January 15th 04, 09:01 PM
GandSBrock

Default dyslexia question

I know my boys are only 4 years old, but does dyslexia display itself as early
as this? I'm sure it's just a matter if their age, but I would like to know
what to be aware of. What are the signs and at what age is it detectable. Is
there anything you can do to diminish it or prevent it? Or, where can I go to
find this information?

Stephanie
Jake and Ryan 9/3/99
Old January 16th 04, 12:02 AM
shirley

Our speech path said that it was really pretty normal for the reversing of
numbers and letters as far up as second grade. Even the teachers in the
kids classes in the past have said it was OK and not to worry. Third grade
and above - time to seek out help.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

Old January 16th 04, 06:19 AM
H Schinske

On 15 Jan 2004 21:01:04 GMT, (GandSBrock) wrote:

I know my boys are only 4 years old, but does dyslexia display itself as

early
as this? I'm sure it's just a matter if their age, but I would like to know
what to be aware of. What are the signs and at what age is it detectable.

Is
there anything you can do to diminish it or prevent it? Or, where can I go

find this information?

There is a list of common signs in preschool children at the website of the
International Dyslexia Organization, at
http://www.interdys.org .

Common Signs of Dyslexia: Pre-School Children
The difficulties noted below are often associated with dyslexia if they are
unexpected for the individual's age, educational level, or cognitive abilities.
A qualified diagnostician can test a person to determine if he or she is truly
dyslexic.

May talk later than most children.

May have difficulty pronouncing words, i.e., "busgetti" for "spaghetti", "mawn
lower" for "lawn mower".

May be slow to add new vocabulary words.

May be unable to recall the right word.

May have difficulty with rhyming.

May have trouble learning the alphabet, numbers, days of the week, colors,
shapes, how to spell and write his or her name.

May be unable to follow multi-step directions or routines.

Fine motor skills may develop more slowly than in other children.

May have difficulty telling and/or retelling a story in the correct sequence.

Often has difficulty separating sounds in words and blending sounds to make
words.
-------------------------
Obviously these things could also be quite normal (I thought all kids said
busgetti, for instance!). It would take a professional to tell for sure. There
are other lists on that site for other ages.

--Helen

Old January 16th 04, 02:46 PM
Julie Seely

Part of the problem of waiting for third grade, though, is that you lose
the early jump on the problem. Time Magazine did a cover story on
dyslexia last summer that noted that the earlier it is caught, the
better. I think they thought that third grade is rather late in the
scheme of things.

Letter reversal and reading right to left are both very common in
preschoolers with otherwise good alphabet/reading skills (my two were
both very early readers, yet Chris still had the b/d recognition problem
a few months into kindergarten, when his reading skills were otherwise
excellent), so probably aren't a reliable indicator. The list that
Helen gave seems better.

Julie

Old January 16th 04, 04:38 PM
lizzard woman

"H Schinske" wrote in message

(snip...)

(I thought all kids said busgetti, for instance!).

Actually, we said "pisgetti". ; )

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)