Perming childrens hair - healthy and legal?

Old July 15th 06, 11:18 AM posted to misc.kids
ncrist

Default Perming childrens hair - healthy and legal?

Oh, I thought LaTreen was a woman's name, like "Laverne".

Nan wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006 04:23:34 -0700, "ncrist" wrote:

Let's leave L alone. She is going through a tough time. This is just
her ventilating board.

No, that's just how Lyn is. She enjoys being vile.

And please leave off name-calling, L. That's below the belt, even for
you (unless LaTreen likes being called "toilet boy", which I seriously
doubt).

LaTreen is a troll from the Childfree group. He's done his share of
name-calling.

Nan

Old July 18th 06, 09:13 AM posted to misc.kids
LaTreen Washington

Any wackjob can just spread her legs and birf a little *******.

Whatsamadda Lyn - your crack supply running low?

"L." wrote in message
ups.com...

ncrist wrote:
Let's leave L alone. She is going through a tough time. This is just
her ventilating board.

Oh please! Enough of your arm-chair psychology.

And please leave off name-calling, L. That's below the belt, even for
you (unless LaTreen likes being called "toilet boy", which I seriously
doubt).

I suspect he does. Just like he likes getting ****ed in the ass.

-L.

Old July 21st 06, 08:45 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

I'm considering perming my daughters hair to straighten it. I think she
looks adorable with curly hair but she hates having it brushed out
every day. She screams and cries, she's just got a very tender head. My
hair is straight and when I wake up in the morning it's not nearly as
hard to brush. But with her curly hair it's a rat's nest every day.I've
tried the detanglers, even dousing her hair with conditioner when she
takes a bath. It's still so tangled and painful for her to have it
combed.

I don't agree with someone perming a child's hair so they can look
adorable in a pageant or something. But I can understand why someone
with a child with hard to manage hair would do it. It's not about
laziness. I actually love brushing and styling hair. BTW the reason I'm
considering perming is not to make it curly, it's to straighten it. I
was told by my stylist that the straightners are way too harsh on your
hair and are more likely to fry it than just putting a perm on, combing
it out and leaving it straight for the specified amount of time.

That said, I still have some concerns about doing this. First of all
the fumes, perm solution stinks. Secondly, perm solution is very hard
on the hair. Then keeping a young child occupied long enough to get it
done without messing with their hair etc. I'm still not sure if I'll do
this but right now my options are either ignore her crying, don't comb
her hair at all, chop it all off or straighten it. None of those
options sounds great but I've got to do something because I can't
ignore a child crying in pain every morning. It breaks my heart. So
don't automatically judge people who do things like this until you know
their reasons

Old July 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to misc.kids
L.

wrote:
I'm considering perming my daughters hair to straighten it.

Don't. With the right tools, products and techniques you can deal with
your child's head of hair easily. I have extremely thick, long
naturally curly hair and always have since I was a baby, so I have been
through what your daughter is going through. You have to use
moisturizing shampoos and conditioners every time you wash her hair and
you have to comb them througj the hair while it is wet. To comb the
hair use a wide-toothed comb and work from the bottom - small strokes
to the end of the shaft, and work your way up the shaft until you get
to the scalp. if you try to comb it as you would straight hair (from
the scalp down) you will only snag the comb and hurt her head. After
the conditioner is washed out, towel dry the hair and use a leave-in
conditioner like Sebastian Potion Number -9, Matrixx moisturizing
leave-in conditioner, or Infusium-23 leave-in conditioner. Again, comb
it through the hair from bottom working your way up to the scalp. Then
treat the hair with a little bit of hair gel which will hold the curls
- Aveda forming gel is the best on the market but Citre Shine makes a
good one as well - it's the yellow gel in the squat pump bottle (I
forget the exact name). Comb the gel through and let the hair dry
naturally. Do not ever, under any circumstances, dry her hair with a
hair dryer - it is simply too damaging to the hair. Same goes for
brushes - they are not to be used on naturally curly hair. Curly hair
is delicate and prone to breakage which causes tangles, so you have to
be gentle with it.

good luck,
-L.

Old July 22nd 06, 03:27 AM posted to misc.kids
Marie

"L." wrote in message
oups.com...
You have to use
moisturizing shampoos and conditioners every time you wash her hair and
you have to comb them througj the hair while it is wet. To comb the
hair use a wide-toothed comb and work from the bottom - small strokes
to the end of the shaft, and work your way up the shaft until you get
to the scalp. if you try to comb it as you would straight hair (from
the scalp down) you will only snag the comb and hurt her head.

That is how I dealt with the two curly children in my family. The most
important thing for us is to comb out the tangles in the bath while the
conditioner is in the hair. My 9 year old loves the Vive for curly hair,
both shampoo and conditioner. My 3 year old's hair is so long she can almost
sit on it. The 9 year old likes to keep her hair short, just b/c it's
low-maintenance for her but I like it longer.
What's weird is that with the older kid, keeping her hair in a ponytail when
she was younger helped keep the tangles down during the day, but with the
younger one ponytails make it so much worse.
Marie

Old July 22nd 06, 06:54 AM posted to misc.kids
L.

Default treating curly hair - adults and kids (was Perming childrens hair)

Marie wrote:

That is how I dealt with the two curly children in my family. The most
important thing for us is to comb out the tangles in the bath while the
conditioner is in the hair. My 9 year old loves the Vive for curly hair,
both shampoo and conditioner. My 3 year old's hair is so long she can almost
sit on it. The 9 year old likes to keep her hair short, just b/c it's
low-maintenance for her but I like it longer.
What's weird is that with the older kid, keeping her hair in a ponytail when
she was younger helped keep the tangles down during the day, but with the
younger one ponytails make it so much worse.
Marie

I was suffering a lot of breakage and I finally figured out it was
because of my pony tail. If she must wear one, take it out during the
night, or put it on the very top of her head. But I find if I sleep in
one at all, my hair matts - and it does better if it is free-flowing.
My hair extended is about 30 inches long - maybe more. It has taken me
8 years to grow it this long from being shaved up my neck and *really*
short. Also, trimming ends every 4 months is critical. Curly hair
tends to split ends more easily and the ends are notorious for
tangling. If I had a girl with hair like mine I would be really
tempted to keep it shoulder length or shorter - a layered curly style
is cute on girls. That's what my Mom eventually did because she just
couldn't keep it well-kept - there were no good products for us on the
market back in the 60's/70's.

-L.

Old July 23rd 06, 10:06 AM posted to misc.kids
Cindy Kandolf

dragonlady writes:
In article . com,
wrote:
I'm still not sure if I'll do
this but right now my options are either ignore her crying, don't comb
her hair at all, chop it all off or straighten it. None of those
options sounds great but I've got to do something because I can't
ignore a child crying in pain every morning. It breaks my heart. So
don't automatically judge people who do things like this until you know
their reasons

How short have you tried it? Very, very short, curly hair can be pretty
easy to manage -- almost no brushing or combing required at all, and you
don't have to worry about the things you seem to be worried about.

I have *very* thick, fairly coarse, curly hair, and I really
sympathize with you and your daughter. I remember that, too, as a
kid. But now I'm very happy with my hair the way it is, and I hope
you'll be willing to read this and consider trying some more advice
before you straighten it. I wish my mom had known this when I was
little - maybe then I wouldn't have spent far too long fighting my
hair, rather than enjoying it. Because frankly, whether curls are
"in" at the moment or not, there's something about well-kept hair with
a natural curl that's always striking!

The advice I finally got as an adult:

1. *Curly hair is different*. For one thing, it's dry, sometimes very
dry. Don't wash it any more often than you have to. I find an
average of about once a week is right for me, and even then it's
usually my *scalp* that needs the wash, not the hair. I use a
shampoo and conditioner meant for dry hair, and let the conditioner
sit.

2. *Don't mechanically separate the curls.* Use a towel to pat or
gently squeeze excess water out of the hair, but don't rub. Don't
use a blow dryer, even with a diffuser. (Diffusers are a
conspiracy by the straight-haired mafia to make us curly-tops
think there's something wrong with our hair! ;-)) Let the hair
air-dry. If that means washing hair before supper instead of
before school or at bedtime, then it's worth it to change the
schedule around to allow that once a week or so.

3. *Style gently.* I use a styling brush, the kind with the plastic
nubby bits rather than bristles. Other people find a wide-toothed
comb works better. Whatever works. Brush or comb curly hair
right after washing to stop tangles from forming; some people like
to comb through it with the conditioner still on, even. Once
through the hair should be enough if you do it this way. Then let
it alone. I brush my hair in the morning, and maybe before bed if
for instance I've worn a ponytail that day - that's it.

4. *Pick your hairdressers carefully.* Choose someone who knows how to
work with curly hair. Especially right now, when straight hair is
the style, a hairdresser who likes to do the popular cuts without
considering hair type is bad news for us curly-tops. By the way,
even long curly hair needs trimmed every few months, to cut off
any worn or split ends and prevent that frizzy look.

It takes me about ten minutes to wash my hair once a week, several
hours to let it air-dry (I did say it was thick!) - and thirty seconds
every morning to brush it. Honestly, my friends who have opted to get
their hair straightened spend a lot more time fussing with it,
especially now in the summer with hair-hazards like swimming and high
humidity in the picture.

I really hope this works for your daughter, and you don't have to make
the decision to straighten or not! (Of course, with curly-haired
boys, the answer is simple... they want buzz cuts so nobody thinks
they look like girls... *sigh!*)

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (12) and Robert (6)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html