This newsgroup

Old February 7th 04, 05:39 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Default This newsgroup

Julie Seely wrote:

Apparently the position helps widen the pelvis a bit, and of course gravity
helps, too. Many doctors don't like it particularly, as it is not as
convenient a position for them, but if you're going for a VBAC, you should
at least be aware of this.

This is what gets me! Why have a woman in a position (on her back) that
narrows the pelvis in the first place? (rhetorical question)

You hit it on the head, Julie, because it is not convenient for *them.*
Side-lying at least is a good compromise if the doctor/nurses want to
check something out.

James, there are 3 books I would recommend you and your DW to read:

The VBAC Companion: The Expectant Mother's Guide to Vaginal Birth After
Cesarean by Diana Korte

The Birth Book:Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying
Birth by William and Martha Sears

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon, et al

The last 2 books have some great pictures/diagrams of birthing and
relaxation positions.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 8th 04, 05:51 PM
Jack H.

"Seth Jackson" wrote in message

I haven't seen any new posts in here for 2 days. Is my server mess up
or is this ng just particularly quiet these days?

Guess with every one raising multiples and some even multiples AND
singletons parents get kinda busy sometimes!

--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...lypictures.htm

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net

Jack

Old February 9th 04, 11:08 AM
leanne

"Julie Seely" wrote in message ...
"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
middletree wrote:

And one other thing, make sure she doesn't lie on her back. Squat,
side-lie, stand, kneel on all fours to give birth but don't lie on the
back. It will more than likely cause her more pain, prolong labour,
which then increases her chances of intervention, which then increases
her chances of another c-section.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Thank you for mentioning the birthing stool I didnt know anything
about. As I'm 27 weeks pregnant with my first baby I'm very scared of
the whole giving birth situation, thinking about whats the best
position and pain relief but nothing thats going to make me unaware of
whats going on. If you or anyone has any comments I'd really
appreciate hearing from your replys.

thanks
leanne

James / Brigitte --

Just wanted to back the birthing position thing up with absolutely NO
experience of my own grin, but a bit of anecdotal experience. A friend
who is a family practice MD told during her residency that one of the best
things for a difficult delivery (or any delivery, for that matter) was a
"birthing stool". It gets the mother into a squatting position, and I
remember her telling me that there had been two almost-emergency-c-sections
within a couple of weeks of each other, and in both cases, they tried a
birthing stool, and the baby was born within literally minutes. In one
case, the mother reported being very uncomfortable on the stool, but the
doctor asked her to just give it a try for a few minutes, and it worked.
Apparently the position helps widen the pelvis a bit, and of course gravity
helps, too. Many doctors don't like it particularly, as it is not as
convenient a position for them, but if you're going for a VBAC, you should
at least be aware of this.

Julie