reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

Old March 2nd 04, 01:07 AM
Kari

Default reasons I've heard for not breastfeeding

What gets me is women who declare that they won't breastfeed at all,
before
their baby is even born and without anything like a real reason, or who

give up
at the barest hint of difficulty, or who perpetuate ignorance with

statements
like "I didn't have enough milk -- my baby couldn't go more than two hours
between feedings" or "my baby self weaned at 7 months".

To me, failing to breastfeed at all -- in the absence of a serious prior
medical condition (and except for adoptive situations) -- is as morally
reprehensible as parking a baby in a playpen in front of a TV all day, or
carrying a baby in your lap in a moving car instead of using a carseat, or
feeding a toddler nothing but white bread and chocolate. If you don't

want to
care for your child in the best way you are capable of, why have -- or

keep --
a baby in the first place?

Well said and I agree 110%. I feel absolutely horrible that I didnt get the
proper education about breastfeeding when I was pregnant with #1. She was
totally bottle fed and it's probably my biggest regret I've had thus far
with parenting. No one talked to me about nursing, not the hospital, no
friends, it was before I had internet access, etc. I was young and I thought
I was doing the best thing for me and her at the time.

If anything, it gave me the determination to breastfeed my next 2 children
as long as I possible could (can) and I feel SO good about what I am doing
not only for them, but for myself. I just dont understand why a mother
wouldn't even try - especially if they know the facts.

Kari

Old March 2nd 04, 01:08 AM
Circe

LeAnn wrote:
Just like breastfeeding is a choice, choosing NOT to breastfeed is a
choice too. And I think it's disrespectful to other women to put
down their choice.

So, you wouldn't at least *suggest* that choosing to put your baby to bed on
her belly might not be a good idea? Or that feeding your baby solids at 2
months of age might not be the best thing?

I don't know--I really *hate* getting into these
breastfeeding/formula-feeding things because I think advocating
breastfeeding almost always make a person come off as self-righteous and
condescending, but I do get a bit annoyed when it's suggested that all
choices are somehow equal. They're not.

Sure breast milk is best but it doesn't appear to
matter in the long run.

If you really believe this is true, why do you think breastmilk is best?
IOW, if it makes no difference in the long run, why do you believe formula
isn't as good? (The answer, methinks, is that you don't *really* think
breastmilk *is* better.)

My bottle fed child is a whole lot
healthier than my best friend's children who were all breastfed.

The plural of anecdote is not data. I'll bet Gail Devers can run faster than
*all* of our husbands, but that doesn't prove that women run faster than men
on average, does it? If there is *one* statement that annoys the heck out of
people who look at research data, it's that one person's experience doesn't
square with the data. Well, duh, that's the nature of statistical data--it
doesn't predict *anything* about individual experience!

I think it's just a matter of opinion.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Just wrong. There are plenty of studies of
*populations* of breastfed versus populations of formula-fed babies and they
nearly all show that breastfed children do better, long-term, than
formula-fed ones. This isn't a matter of opinion--it's a matter of cold,
hard data. But, as I just said, population data doesn't tell you jack-diddly
about any *individual* outcome. It's just that in this case, breastfeeding
offers you a better *chance* of a good outcome than breastfeeding and, if
that's important to you, breastfeeding is the better choice.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2 tomorrow.] mom)

Old March 2nd 04, 01:13 AM
Kari

Just like breastfeeding is a choice, choosing NOT to breastfeed is a
choice too. And I think it's disrespectful to other women to put down
their choice. Sure breast milk is best but it doesn't appear to
matter in the long run.

Uh, sorry but that's simply not true.

My bottle fed child is a whole lot healthier
than my best friend's children who were all breastfed. I think it's
just a matter of opinion.

And my bottle fed child is as healthy as my 2 breast fed kids but it doesn't
take away from the proven FACTS that breast milk is far superior to formula
in many, many ways.

Kari

Old March 2nd 04, 01:22 AM
Ericka Kammerer

LeAnn wrote:

Sure breast milk is best but it doesn't appear to
matter in the long run.

What do you mean by that?

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 2nd 04, 03:33 AM
Sami

"Donna" wrote in message

"Sami" wrote in message
. com...

"Marie" wrote in message
3) it's just *icky*

Sex isn't? Giving birth isn't? Changing diapers isn't? I think any
excuse is selfish. There is no reason not to breastfeed if you are
able to. I don't see how any mother could just choose not to out of
some stupid reason like "it's icky". I was in classes with a girl who
was going to be an RN in an OB's office, and when we were discussing
breastfeeding one day she said "I ain't never lettin' no baby suck my
titty!" Like it's something disgusting!

That's exactly how I feel about it. Its not something I'm comfortable

with
and I'm sure a baby can sense that. Rather than create a miserable
experience for both of us, I'll choose not to breastfeed.

Oh Sami, you have just been SO set up. shakes head

Look, if you have even the remotest interest in nursing, there are a lot

of
really great resources out there for you. I personally found
misc.kids.breastfeeding to be invaluable. So if you care to, you might
consider giving it a try, just to see if you still feel as negative about

it
once you have tried. Nursing is medically best for a growing human, and

you
can always change your mind. Having said that, if you truly feel that
it's disgusting, then certainly there are other acceptable options.

Best wishes,

Donna (who doesn't really, to be honest, see the point of a thread that
seems to be entirely conceived as a way of saying "Let me flame everyone

who
doesn't agree with me")

Thank you for your kindness. I've always had the same view on
breastfeeding. Of course most of my life I hadn't planned on having
children, either. Once that fever hit, all of the things I once thought
were disgusting about childbirth and childcare weren't so disgusting
anymore...except breastfeeding. I am smart enough to understand that once I
hold my baby in my arms I may get over my "selfishness" rolls eyes and may
wind up giving it a go. I am also smart enough to know that if that
miraculous moment doesn't happen its best to forget it rather than always
have a frustrated stressed out baby during feedings. Finally I'm smart
enough to know that I will always get flamed by those who believe their way
is the only way. Fortunately, my mother (who chose not to bf me) taught me
to be strong and not give in to bullies. Again, thank you for your kindness
and best wishes.

Old March 2nd 04, 03:35 AM

On 1 Mar 2004 07:14:17 -0800, (Elitsirk) wrote:

"CY" wrote in message news:NPz0c.6640$Zp.1756@fed1read07...

The top 3 reasons I hear:

1) It's inconvenient

I plan to bf my baby for as long as possible, but I have to ask: are
you hearing this one from SAHM's or working moms?

I've heard this from both.

I've thought through the process for pumping once I go back to work, I
am afraid that it will be terribly inconvenient

I have pumped at work (for nearly 12 months - no longer however) and
yes while it is not always convenient for me it was much better than
the other options (not working, dealing with plugged ducts/illness
etc). If you are planning on doing this - talk to your workplace now.
Find out what laws there are in place for supporting you (for me there
is a gov. policy and workplace policy which gives me some extra time,
a private - non bathroom to pump in, etc). Before I went on leave I
talked to my bosses about plans and options. I also checked in with
them a few weeks before I came back to double check the details.

However I have also known mothers who have wanted to pump but not been
able to (various reasons) and still breastfeed outside of work hours,
give formula during work hours. So if you aren't able to don't beat
yourself up about it.

Depending on how my Mat leave turns out I may well be pumping agian
for this baby once back at work.

Di
Old March 2nd 04, 03:46 AM
Sami

"Em" wrote in message

Nope. It's a figment of your imagination. Of course it's a real post and
it's really how I feel. Yes my sister breaks out in itchy, splotchy bumps
whenever she's in water too long. This has happened ever since she was
seventeen. It happens when she takes a shower, when it rains, when she goes
swimming, when she sweats. She would also wake up sometimes with welts on
the sides of her head or around her eyes. All the doctors could ever come
up with was it was an allergic reaction to "something". This was something
that started happening to her after an unidentified illness she had.

Old March 2nd 04, 04:01 AM
Coccinella

My own mother:
" My milk was not good. It wasn't rich enough for you." (BTW my mother has a
borderline personality disorder. She is a bitter narcissist!)
Can it really happen??? I never heard of it anywherelse.
Love
--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 2nd 04, 04:08 AM
Coccinella

I agree with you Daye.
My mother did not BF me because she said her milk wasn't rich enough. Then
she said she tried different types of formula and I wasn't eating those
either. So I was fed skimmed cow milk since I was 40 days old. My father, by
then was doing most of the feeding. My mother, as I explained before, is a
very troubled person, and I obviously don't remember it, but from the way
she described my behavior, I definitely sensed it!

Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Fur Babies

Old March 2nd 04, 04:08 AM
Em

"Sami" wrote in message
"Em" wrote in message

Nope. It's a figment of your imagination. Of course it's a real post and
it's really how I feel. Yes my sister breaks out in itchy, splotchy bumps
whenever she's in water too long. This has happened ever since she was
seventeen. It happens when she takes a shower, when it rains, when she

goes
swimming, when she sweats. She would also wake up sometimes with welts on
the sides of her head or around her eyes. All the doctors could ever come
up with was it was an allergic reaction to "something". This was

something
that started happening to her after an unidentified illness she had.

I apologize for thinking you were a troll. Just another example of how info
in writing can be misinterpreted--when I read your message, I immediately
assumed that your sister could not *drink* water and found that
unbelievable.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 5 months