Veteran's Day

Old November 15th 07, 01:42 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default Veteran's Day

In article ehrebeniuk-5F383A.18303915112007@news, Chookie says...

In article om,
Beliavsky wrote:

Yikes, I had no idea that it was related to the end of World War 1 .

boggle What else would it be for?

Here in the U.S., it's emphasized for *all* veterans of past wars especially.

There's been a lot of wars.

Banty

Old November 15th 07, 01:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 15, 2:30 am, Chookie wrote:
In article om,

Beliavsky wrote:
Yikes, I had no idea that it was related to the end of World War 1 .

boggle What else would it be for?

I thought it was a day to recognize war veterans in general (and it is
in the U.S.). I did not know what its historical origins were and that
it was a holiday in other countries as well, going by a different
name. I don't think the news media in the U.S. often make the
connection to World War I.
Old November 15th 07, 03:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Clisby wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

What do people do with their kids to commemorate Veteran's Day (a U.S.
holiday which just passed)? Maybe in 2 years I will start trying to
teach my kids about the meanings of such holidays.

For starters, we call it Armistice Day, and discuss how the signing of
the Armistice is commemorated in other WWI Allied countries.

Yikes, I had no idea that it was related to the end of World War 1 .
Wikipedia is informative. Thanks for your reply.

probably better find this kind of thing out before planning how you talk
about it with you children

I don't remember my parents saying anything about it, though I always
knew 11/11 was the end of the first world war, as it was my mum's
birthday. I think it's much bigger in UK - though the day itself is not
a holiday, the nearest Sunday to it is Rememberance Sunday and most
things happen then, the 11th would be a normal work day, but everyone
stops for 2 minutes silence at 11am. There is also poppies - The British
Legion makes paper poppies and gives them out like you would a sticker
or badge with a charity collection, last year 36 million were made and
used - that's only the paper ones pinned on your lapel, poppies are also
used in a lot of other ways, wreathes etc. there will be a ceremony at
almost every memorial (and there are a lot of them), laying a wreath.
All of which adds up to making it fairly impossible not to know what's
going on and what is being remembered from a very young age. The idea of
using poppies came from a poem by John McCrae, called "In Flanders
Fields",
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/rememb...rs_field.shtml.

Maybe making poppies, or buying live ones would be a good route into
talking about it.

Handing out poppies on Veteran's Day used to be common in the U.S. -
maybe still is, for all I know.

I haven't seen it recently. I used to though. I think maybe it is
because there are so few WWI vets around or even people who remember
WWI
Old November 16th 07, 10:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Caledonia

On Nov 15, 5:42 am, Clisby wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Anne

Handing out poppies on Veteran's Day used to be common in the U.S. -
maybe still is, for all I know.

Clisby

I think the practice ran afoul of the War on Drugs.

(just a joke -- I remember the paper poppies from parades when I was
little.)

Caledonia
Old November 16th 07, 11:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ,
Caledonia says...

On Nov 15, 5:42 am, Clisby wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

Solicitors for the VFW still hand them out.

Banty

Old November 17th 07, 06:41 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

Beliavsky wrote:

Yikes, I had no idea that it was related to the end of World War 1 .

boggle What else would it be for?

Here in the U.S., it's emphasized for *all* veterans of past wars especially.

There's been a lot of wars.

Anzac Day and Remembrance Day are commemorate all the wars that Australia has
been involved in (including the Boer War) but we know what the dates were for!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/
Old November 17th 07, 01:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ehrebeniuk-A8FA21.17412017112007@news, Chookie says...

Beliavsky wrote:

Yikes, I had no idea that it was related to the end of World War 1 .

boggle What else would it be for?

Here in the U.S., it's emphasized for *all* veterans of past wars especially.

There's been a lot of wars.

Anzac Day and Remembrance Day are commemorate all the wars that Australia has
been involved in (including the Boer War) but we know what the dates were for!

Well, it's that in the US, Veteran's Day has stood in for all of that, making
the WWI origin more of a historical note.

We also have Memorial Day, which commemmorates those who have lost their lives
in war.

Banty