stroller with narrow base

Old April 30th 04, 01:52 PM
Sara

Default stroller with narrow base

We're in the market for a new stroller. Right now we have a jogging
stroller and an umbrella stroller, but I want something in between the
two in size. You know, just your standard stroller.

I want to be able to take it to the grocery store, and some of the
stores in the neighborhood have rather narrow check-out lanes. The
umbrella stroller can go through them without a problem, but I see
parents with big Gracos, etc. not being able to get through.

Have any of you shopped around for a stroller with a narrow base, and
if so, any recommendations? I see on-line that the Maclaren Techno XT
(who names these things?) is narrow, but $300 is _way_ out of my
budget.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old April 30th 04, 03:34 PM
Mary W.

Sara wrote:

We're in the market for a new stroller. Right now we have a jogging
stroller and an umbrella stroller, but I want something in between the
two in size. You know, just your standard stroller.

I want to be able to take it to the grocery store, and some of the
stores in the neighborhood have rather narrow check-out lanes. The
umbrella stroller can go through them without a problem, but I see
parents with big Gracos, etc. not being able to get through.

Have any of you shopped around for a stroller with a narrow base, and
if so, any recommendations? I see on-line that the Maclaren Techno XT
(who names these things?) is narrow, but $300 is _way_ out of my
budget.

We really like our Graco Citilite. Unfortunately, Graco's website
does not give dimensions but I can measure it tonight if you'd
like. It is only 13 lbs, so a little lighter than the Macleren and
it looks smaller than the Graco Metrolite. Ours has held up
really well. The only thing I don't like about it is that the
seat isn't as adjustable as I'd like (doesn't recline all the way
back and I wish it would sit a little more upright). But DD seems
comfortable in it.

Mary

Old April 30th 04, 10:42 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"Sara" wrote in message
We're in the market for a new stroller. Right now we have a jogging
stroller and an umbrella stroller, but I want something in between the
two in size. You know, just your standard stroller.

I want to be able to take it to the grocery store, and some of the
stores in the neighborhood have rather narrow check-out lanes. The
umbrella stroller can go through them without a problem, but I see
parents with big Gracos, etc. not being able to get through.

Have any of you shopped around for a stroller with a narrow base, and
if so, any recommendations? I see on-line that the Maclaren Techno XT
(who names these things?) is narrow, but $300 is _way_ out of my
budget.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

check out zooper strollers. They have a model similar to the Maclaren but
for about half the cost.

Jeanne

Old May 1st 04, 10:50 PM
Sara

Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang wrote:

check out zooper strollers. They have a model similar to the Maclaren but
for about half the cost.

I'll look into that -- thanks!

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old May 1st 04, 10:52 PM
Sara

Mary W. wrote:

We really like our Graco Citilite.

Good to know -- thanks. (No need to measure yours, I'm going to head
off to the baby stores with a tape measure.)

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old May 2nd 04, 12:15 AM
Cadie

I have a Saftey 1st Accela (or something to that effect) it was less
than 50 bucks, safe, sturdy, and I can fit it through pretty much
anything. It's not as small as a cheap umbrella stroller (one that
goes for 10 bucks) but I've seen some better looking ones that aren't
that much smaller than our stroller.

http://www.all-educational-toys.com/buy/123825

Old May 2nd 04, 03:33 AM
jane.elizabeth

"Sara" wrote in message
snip
Have any of you shopped around for a stroller with a narrow base, and
if so, any recommendations? I see on-line that the Maclaren Techno XT
(who names these things?) is narrow, but $300 is _way_ out of my
budget.

I got a Maclaren online (don't remember the make, but it's the 12# or so
folding model), for around $160-something 5 years ago, and still use it for
my youngest sometimes---keep it in the back of the car.

These days, I mostly use a twin jogger I got on eBay for $50, for exercise,
and to carry my 2-and 4-year-olds for exercise or errands to the post
office.

I know a lot of people sell used Maclarens on eBay, though the bidding can
get ridiculously high (last check).

How old is your baby now? You may find that ~2 years you rarely need a
stroller. My 2 1/2 year old prefers to walk or push the stoller himself.

If you can't find a good secondhand one, the resale value is high, so you
might recoup some of the cost. I feel like I got my money's worth, and have
even considered selling mine, but I'm still not sure if we'll have a #3, and
I still use the single occasionally w/ my 2 year old.

Another thought---would a backpack type carrier work for you? If it's for
short trips, or lite grocery shopping, might work. Can be tricky, though,
getting kid in and out.

HTH!
Jane
missing NYC (8 years in Brooklyn in the nineties----my old neighborhood is
so scary upscale now!)

Old May 2nd 04, 02:24 PM
Sara

jane.elizabeth wrote:

How old is your baby now? You may find that ~2 years you rarely need a
stroller. My 2 1/2 year old prefers to walk or push the stoller himself.

He's 18 months. We live in New York City and walk or take the subway
everywhere, so we'll be using strollers for a while to come. (I'll be
keeping the umbrella stroller for the subway.)

If you can't find a good secondhand one, the resale value is high, so you
might recoup some of the cost.

That's a good point. I'm being tempted by the Zoopers (thank you to
the person who pointed them out), which cost more than I wanted to
spend... maybe I can justify it that way...

Another thought---would a backpack type carrier work for you? If it's for
short trips, or lite grocery shopping, might work. Can be tricky, though,
getting kid in and out.

We have a backpack, but he's too heavy for long trips. Thanks for the
thought, though.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old May 2nd 04, 02:26 PM
Sara

Cadie wrote:

I have a Saftey 1st Accela (or something to that effect) it was less
than 50 bucks, safe, sturdy, and I can fit it through pretty much
anything. It's not as small as a cheap umbrella stroller (one that
goes for 10 bucks) but I've seen some better looking ones that aren't
that much smaller than our stroller.

http://www.all-educational-toys.com/buy/123825

Hey, that's a good price -- thanks!

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old May 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
Akuvikate

Sara wrote in message ...

If you can't find a good secondhand one, the resale value is high, so you
might recoup some of the cost.

That's a good point. I'm being tempted by the Zoopers (thank you to
the person who pointed them out), which cost more than I wanted to
spend... maybe I can justify it that way...

Just here to second the Zooper suggestion. We have a Zooper Z-street
and it's awesome. According to the guy at the local baby stuff store
(who knows *way* too much about strollers) the Zoopers are pretty
comparable to Maclaren in durability. And you get a lot more features
for a lot less money. And their customer service is really good,
should you ever need it.

Kate
and the Bug, 11 months