Supernanny!

Old May 9th 05, 12:05 PM
Chookie

Default Supernanny!

Well, we hadn't watched it before, and we had fun. (For those who aren't in
Oz, it was a family with 4 kids living in a McMansion so big it was easy to
lose track of them, and the 3yo was a runner. Dad constantly undermined Mum's
attempts at discipline.)

At one point, DH turns to me and says, "I love you!"
"Why, because I'm not an idiot?"
"Um, yeah!"
I feel the same way about him! :-))))

Love the cheesy British taxi. Love the way 15 mins of footage is spun out for
an hour. Absolutely loved the pantry cupboard (I wanna pantry cupboard!!)
stuffed from top to bottom with junk food. Wonder where they kept the real
food?

And DS now wants Supernanny to come and buy us a Naughty Circle!!!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old May 9th 05, 12:15 PM
Staycalm

"Chookie" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah - P likes Supernanny but I suspect she is also as interested in
watching all the naughty children. I like a lot of the tips and I thank the
Lord above that P is nothing like most of the children on the show. It makes
me feel better about my parenting techniques. I am also glad that DH and I
are on the same page when it comes to most things about parenting (but then
we talked a lot about it while I was pregnant) and he would never undermine
me or vice versa.
Next weeks ep looks like she is back in England. That bunch look like real
terrors!!!! Very scary.

Liz

Old May 9th 05, 12:18 PM
Banty

In article , Chookie
says...

Well, we hadn't watched it before, and we had fun. (For those who aren't in
Oz, it was a family with 4 kids living in a McMansion so big it was easy to
lose track of them, and the 3yo was a runner.

Aren't those just ridiculous!

Dad constantly undermined Mum's
attempts at discipline.)

In a lot of the shows, one parent isn't on board in some way.

At one point, DH turns to me and says, "I love you!"
"Why, because I'm not an idiot?"
"Um, yeah!"
I feel the same way about him! :-))))

Love the cheesy British taxi. Love the way 15 mins of footage is spun out for
an hour.

All those shows are like that. I like a similar show "What Not To Wear". Sorta
like useful fluff.

Absolutely loved the pantry cupboard (I wanna pantry cupboard!!)
stuffed from top to bottom with junk food. Wonder where they kept the real
food?

And DS now wants Supernanny to come and buy us a Naughty Circle!!!

It's a great show. It gets a bit repetitive as family problems tends to be
similar. And in some ways its contrived. But not as bad as some of the other
'reality shows'.

Banty (her guilty TV pleasures)

Old May 9th 05, 02:24 PM
Tai

Chookie wrote:
Well, we hadn't watched it before, and we had fun. (For those who
aren't in Oz, it was a family with 4 kids living in a McMansion so
big it was easy to lose track of them, and the 3yo was a runner. Dad
constantly undermined Mum's attempts at discipline.)

Wasn't he a shocker!

At one point, DH turns to me and says, "I love you!"
"Why, because I'm not an idiot?"
"Um, yeah!"
I feel the same way about him! :-))))

That show brings out the worst in both my husband and myself - we become
insufferably smug. I stopped watching it tonight at the point when the
runner was zipping around the shopping centre "looking with his fingers" and
paying absolutely no attention to his mother at all. Why didn't the silly
woman stick the baby on her hip and trap the 3 year old in the pusher?

Love the cheesy British taxi. Love the way 15 mins of footage is
spun out for an hour. Absolutely loved the pantry cupboard (I wanna
pantry cupboard!!) stuffed from top to bottom with junk food. Wonder
where they kept the real food?

lol

You noticed that too.

And DS now wants Supernanny to come and buy us a Naughty Circle!!!

Those *are* kind of cool....

I wonder if they make ones for hormonal 14 year olds? Mind you, I think I'd
rather they took themselves off to their "caves" until fit for polite
company again!

Tai

Old May 9th 05, 02:26 PM
Tai

Tai wrote:
Chookie wrote:
Well, we hadn't watched it before, and we had fun. (For those who
aren't in Oz, it was a family with 4 kids living in a McMansion so
big it was easy to lose track of them, and the 3yo was a runner. Dad
constantly undermined Mum's attempts at discipline.)

Wasn't he a shocker!

I meant the Dad, the 3 year old looked pretty normal to me.

Tai

Old May 9th 05, 02:42 PM
Nikki

Chookie wrote:
Well, we hadn't watched it before, and we had fun.

I really like Supernanny. My one reality TV fix.

At one point, DH turns to me and says, "I love you!"
"Why, because I'm not an idiot?"

Really? Sometimes I think the parents are just dense but most of the time I
see regular parents that just don't know what to do. I may be more
empathetic because Luke and I have had more then our share of supernanny
moments :-0.

Absolutely loved the pantry cupboard (I wanna
pantry cupboard!!) stuffed from top to bottom with junk food. Wonder
where they kept the real food?

Heh - I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same episode but I saw one like
that and was shocked too, lol.

And DS now wants Supernanny to come and buy us a Naughty Circle!!!

Luke happened to see one episode with me and they were trying to get a kid
to go to sleep without mom. The kid was screaming and crying and had to be
put back to bed about 40 times. I said they were teaching that little boy
that he had to go to sleep without his mom. He most certainly did *not*
want supernanny to come to his house after that! We had been talking about
that transition for a few weeks ourselves, lol. He does go to sleep on his
own now and it wasn't any big deal ;-)

--
Nikki

Old May 9th 05, 05:29 PM
JennP

"Nikki" wrote in message

Luke happened to see one episode with me and they were trying to get a kid
to go to sleep without mom. The kid was screaming and crying and had to

be
put back to bed about 40 times. I said they were teaching that little boy
that he had to go to sleep without his mom. He most certainly did *not*
want supernanny to come to his house after that! We had been talking

about
that transition for a few weeks ourselves, lol. He does go to sleep on

his
own now and it wasn't any big deal ;-)

LOL. So Supernanny helped you without actually being there?

JennP.

Old May 9th 05, 05:31 PM
JennP

"Banty" wrote in message
In article ,

Chookie
says...

Well, we hadn't watched it before, and we had fun. (For those who aren't

in
Oz, it was a family with 4 kids living in a McMansion so big it was easy

lose track of them, and the 3yo was a runner.

Aren't those just ridiculous!

Have you noticed that most of the families featured on these nanny shows
live in those McMansions?

Did anyone happen to see the family that lived in California on one of those
shows. They had this beautiful home with a balcony...that looked like it was
on a cliff! I'd be pretty sure they bought that home before they had kids.

JennP.

Old May 9th 05, 06:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Nikki wrote:

At one point, DH turns to me and says, "I love you!"
"Why, because I'm not an idiot?"

Really?**Sometimes*I*think*the*parents*are*just*de nse*but*most*of*the*time
I see regular parents that just don't know what to do.**I*may*be*more
empathetic because Luke and I have had more then our share of supernanny
moments :-0.

They ought to read misc.kids then.

Some of them are just a big wuss, like the one who gave their kid a biscuit
after he had whined for a mere 15 minutes.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old May 9th 05, 06:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Tai wrote:

[snip]
And DS now wants Supernanny to come and buy us a Naughty Circle!!!

Those are kind of cool....

I wonder if they make ones for hormonal 14 year olds? Mind you, I think
I'd rather they took themselves off to their "caves" until fit for polite
company again!

Over here they make one called Teen Angel, which I think is about teenagers
(the toddler equivalent is called Little Angels, but they aren't). So it
might be coming to a TV near you at some point.

(What am I doing in Australia? Can I go to Ayers Rock, please: I really
really want to go to Ayers Rock.)

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three