Prelim tests show bear trapped in TN not the one who killed girl (death ment)

Old April 24th 06, 08:16 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Prelim tests show bear trapped in TN not the one who killed girl (death ment)

The death of little Elora Petrasek...

Unfortunately, it looks like they may have trapped and killed the
wrong bear in TN:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/3806046.html

Yet, they will continue to trap and kill bears to check them for
rabies. Sort of seems pointless, since so much time has now passed
since the tragedy. The entire episode is unbelievably frightening. I
cannot imagine the grief and trauma her Mom and brother are suffering.
:*(

-L.

Old April 24th 06, 05:15 PM posted to misc.kids

On 24 Apr 2006 04:05:07 -0700, Bunny wrote:
___________________
I agree, it's so horrible what happened but the fact that they are now
using it as an excuse to further decimate this species is also tragic.
Just what a bunch of gun happy rednecks need is aother excuse to kill
something.

Well, it's a damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't situation, isn't it?

If they don't try to find the bear, then they're stuck with the problem
of a bear who willingly attacks multiple humans, and then hangs around
even long after the attacks are over. That has obvious implications for
anyone else who goes near the area.

When they do try to find the bear, they get castigated as not being
willing to just let "nature take it's course, and leave the bear alone".
Yes, they apparently got the wrong one. And they might get the
wrong one the next time, too. But there's no way I would start claiming
that it's just an excuse for a "bunch of gun-happy rednecks" to have
an "excuse to kill something." They're just trying to make the best
of an already untenable situation.

- Rich
Old April 24th 06, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids

user wrote:
Well, it's a damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't situation, isn't it?

In a way, yes.

If they don't try to find the bear, then they're stuck with the problem
of a bear who willingly attacks multiple humans, and then hangs around
even long after the attacks are over. That has obvious implications for
anyone else who goes near the area.

They need to look at why the initial attack occured, though.
Hibernation just stopped, and bears are out and hungry. This was
apparently a male bear and he first attacked the 2 year old - obvious
prey. he turned on the mother when she tried to take the baby away
(normal behavior).

Then the little girl ran away - the bear is already agitated, comes
across a running (probably screaming) small animal - again, natural
predatory behavior.

Honestly, I don't think what the bear did is abnormal in any way.

When they do try to find the bear, they get castigated as not being
willing to just let "nature take it's course, and leave the bear alone".
Yes, they apparently got the wrong one. And they might get the
wrong one the next time, too. But there's no way I would start claiming
that it's just an excuse for a "bunch of gun-happy rednecks" to have
an "excuse to kill something." They're just trying to make the best
of an already untenable situation.

But you have to agree that there are a lot of idiots out there that
will use this as an excuse to try to seek revenge against the bear -
that's just wrong. It's still possible that the bear they caught was
the correct bear - they need to confirm with DNA. I just hope it is,
as it's a sad situation, all the way around.

The bigger issue is rabies. At this point, I would be inclined to take
the rabies shots and ask them to quit trapping bears. At some point,
if they don't find the correct bear, the baby and Mom will have to take
rabies shots anyway.

-L.

Old April 25th 06, 04:36 PM posted to misc.kids

*
*Unfortunately, it looks like they may have trapped and killed the
*wrong bear in TN:
*http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/3806046.html
*
*
*Yet, they will continue to trap and kill bears to check them for
*rabies. Sort of seems pointless, since so much time has now passed

Why are they testing the bears for rabies? Did the little girl have
rabies?? I thought the bear killed her, not gave her rabies. How weird.
It's not like rabies is a common problem in bears. THey're going around
looking for a rabid bear now? I'd have thought they'd be more inclined to
look for an aggressive bear... or maybe to do some sort of "sedate, trap,
hold" thing where they get DNA to try for a match if there was any bear
DNA on the victim/s.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old April 25th 06, 05:00 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Hillary Israeli says...

In . com,
Bunny wrote:

[...]

The mother and a sibling were injured also. And there's question as to whether
or not the bear was unusally aggressive.

Banty