toddler likes intense flavors, smells

Old May 5th 06, 05:57 PM posted to misc.kids

Default toddler likes intense flavors, smells

-L. wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
I don't know why you would see this as abnormal.

I didn't really see it as "abnormal" but just a little "different". I
just didn't know if other kids do this or not.

In my experience, this is quite common. Maybe it's just
the group of peers that is out of the ordinary?

Perhaps. The other Moms comment on how their kids would never eat "X"
or "y" and comment on how he seems to be fascinated with smells and
textures. He also is obsessive about the lemons and pickles thing -
will cry for lemon slices and would eat an entire lemon if I'd let him.

All of my toddlers have eaten lemons. It seems
to be a stage they go through. Later on, some continue
to like strong flavors and others don't, so I don't think
it's some sort of pre-programming to like strong flavors.
I think a lot of parents say "my kid would *never* eat X"
just because they never give the child X because they
assume the child won't like X. How many people assume
a toddler would like a slice of lemon? After a certain
point, many *will* dislike it, but there seems to be
a window around 2yo when many (not all, but many) toddlers
are pretty adventurous, even if you later find them on
the "white food only" diet.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 6th 06, 05:58 AM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
"-L." wrote:

Is this normal? DS (2.25) LOVES intense flavors - lemons, pickles,
curry sauce, Ranch dip (this he would eat by the spoonful if I let
him), garlic, onions, etc. Is he likely to continue to like intense
flavors as he grows older?

No -- give it till about age 3. For some reason, a lot of littlies will
happily eat chillies etc, but once they reach about 3 their taste-buds change.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old May 6th 06, 12:56 PM posted to misc.kids

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

I don't know why you would see this as abnormal.

I didn't really see it as "abnormal" but just a little "different". I
just didn't know if other kids do this or not.

In my experience, this is quite common. Maybe it's just
the group of peers that is out of the ordinary?

Perhaps. The other Moms comment on how their kids would never eat "X"
or "y" and comment on how he seems to be fascinated with smells and
textures. He also is obsessive about the lemons and pickles thing -
will cry for lemon slices and would eat an entire lemon if I'd let him.

he sounds to me like a mixture of perfectly normal & perhaps a bit unusual.
ime many little kids go through strong-taste fads at about this age, & later
it drops back somewhat. food dislikes happen too - everyone has things they
just don't like, & in my house people don't have to eat stuff they can't
stand. it's sad if people assume kids only like bland or sweet things
though - ime kids eat whatever they're given (mostly) & at most points will
try new things quite happily, so it doesn't make sense to give kids bland
diets on principle.

a lot of people are also attracted to feeling or smelling things (i'm a
feeler & have been all my life, i was unstoppable when i was tiny!) so that
is ok too. my little neighbour who is 5 now is really into horrible strong
smells like furniture stain, etc. she says she likes anything that's
"smelly" & afaik she's absolutely normal. i think any excessively
"obsessive"-seeming elements need to be considered though - unless by
obsessive you just mean he gets into total fads with things, which is also
perfectly normal for the age.
kylie

Old May 6th 06, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids

On Sat, 06 May 2006 14:58:23 +1000, Chookie
wrote:

In article .com,
"-L." wrote:

Is this normal? DS (2.25) LOVES intense flavors - lemons, pickles,
curry sauce, Ranch dip (this he would eat by the spoonful if I let
him), garlic, onions, etc. Is he likely to continue to like intense
flavors as he grows older?

No -- give it till about age 3. For some reason, a lot of littlies will
happily eat chillies etc, but once they reach about 3 their taste-buds change.

Interesting.

http://toddlerstoday.com/articles/3545.php?wcat=337

Dr. Alan Hirsch, the neurological director of the Smell and Taste
Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago, Ill., says about 90
percent of what people perceive to be taste is really smell. "If you
hold your nose and eat chocolate it tastes just like chalk," he says.
"It has no taste at all. When we say taste, we really mean smell. To
tell if a toddler has a true taste disorder as opposed to a smell
problem is going to be a real, real challenge."

***********************

Researchers have found children who are breastfed tend to grow
up to be less picky because breast milk has multiple flavors
depending on the mother’s diet, according to Dr. Hirsch. If you did
not breastfeed, make sure to expose your toddler to as wide a
range of flavors as possible while meeting dietary requirements.

"Some taste disorders occur from birth," says Dr. Hirsch. "About
15 percent of the population have an inability to taste one form of
taste or another, and you would never know it until they die. People
compensate for their taste loss by smelling. The most common
cause of true taste disorder is the genetic one."

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 6th 06, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids

-L. wrote:
Is this normal? DS (2.25) LOVES intense flavors - lemons, pickles,
curry sauce, Ranch dip (this he would eat by the spoonful if I let
him), garlic, onions, etc. Is he likely to continue to like intense
flavors as he grows older? He also smells *everything*. He will ask
what something is and then ask if it is "smelly?" and then he smells
it. (He is pretty verbal.) He also likes to take things and rub them
on his face to feel them - he does this with many things he encounters,
and has done this ever since he was a tiny baby. Do I have a
particularly sensory-focused kid or something? He is also very
compassionate and will comfort others if crying, and will try to "help"
when he sees someone in need. In all of these ways he is different
from all of his peers. I am just wondering if these behaviors are
indicative of anything, or if I should keep my eye on anything else.

TIA for any insight.
-L.

think of him as a warm kid who wants to explore this surrounding with
senses. I think it is normal unless he rubs birthday cake on his face,
he is awared of surrounding and uses his sensories. He might change
later, but not too far from behaviour from birth to 10 yrs old as I
observe.

Old May 7th 06, 12:02 AM posted to misc.kids

I read somewhere that children are generally open to a
variety of foods until about age 3, from which point on
they usually only eat what they're accustomed to eating
and are wary of new foods. After that point, they may
try new foods (and it will vary from one child to another)
but are often reluctant to try them or need time to
get used to them.

This is more so with animal foods
than plant foods. People will try new plants with
less fuss, but people (from age 3 up through
adulthood) tend to be reluctant to try new animal
foods, whether parts of an animal they're not
accustomed to eating (brains, kidney, etc.) or
animals they're not accustomed to eating (goat, rabbit, etc.)

There are good reasons why we have these instinctive
patterns. As babies we learn the foods that are
generally eaten in our culture, and then from age
3 on we mostly stick to those foods, with some
ability to adapt to new foods/new cultures if
necessary. In this way we tend to avoid eating
poisonous plants, or, even more dangerous perhaps,
diseased meats. With plants you can taste a bit,
maybe wait a few hours
and see whether you feel sick and have some chance
of avoiding dying from it, but if you're going to
pick up a disease from eating brain or something
that method won't save you.

Adults tend to be more open to new foods than
children from age 3 up to -- I don't know --
adolescence or something. but not as open
as 2-year-olds I think.
Old May 10th 06, 12:27 AM posted to misc.kids

My daughter loves tasting and smelling everything in the kitchen. She
loves lemons, raw onions, spicy food, pickles, ... She also loves
smelling things like garlic, spices, etc.

It sounds like all his behaviour is normal for a 2-3 year old.
Compassion, curiousity, sensory stimulation, they learn so much at this
age. He is just trying to figure out what he likes, how he should act,
etc.

KR

Old May 11th 06, 04:38 PM posted to misc.kids

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
-L. wrote:
Engram wrote:

So maybe he'll just be culinarily adventurous?

I hope so. He will eat almost anything now.

Don't bet the farm. Some kids like this
continue being adventurous, but others will pull
back and become much less adventurous.

That is the case with both my kids.

In my
experience, it is quite common for 2yos to be
quite adventurous eaters. My firstborn would eat
all kinds of unusual things as a 2yo and is quite
picky as an 11yo. Palates change as they grow.

Best wishes,
Ericka