Ashamed of my temper...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 9th 05, 05:55 AM

First, anger is probably the most counter-productive thing for potty
training. Any emotion displayed by the parent on the issue of potty
training will only stir emotional feelings in the child that will
cause them to react negatively. The best thing is to NOT CARE! It
sounds counter-intuitive, but it is true

Potty training is a control issue. And part of it is about his control
over his own body. We found that the easiest way to potty train was to
allow our kids to run around naked. It is very difficult for a naked
child to ignore the fact the he/she is pooing. The lead to a very quick
realization and desire to control the activity.

Hope this helps,
Larry

L.A. writes:
: Hi all...

: I don't know what to do about this, but I find I'm getting unreasonably
: angry at 2yo DS who refuses to go to the potty. He had been doing very
: well, but suddenly decided the potty is his enemy. We've tried moving
: it into the living room because he doesn't like to be isolated in the
: bathroom for any length of time. But now as soon as the word "potty"
: comes up, he starts shouting "NO POTTY!" I don't know why the sudden
: abhorance towards it. Anyway, every day I calmly ask him if he needs
: to go poo in the potty. Every day he politely says "No, tank you
: Mommy." Then he poos in his pants. I know he knows what the potty is
: for...he's used it with success in the past. I know he knows his
: body's signals, because he goes off by himself to dirty his diaper.
: He'd just prefer to go in his pants. Ususally, DH just takes him in
: the bathroom and cleans him up. But if I have to do it, I find myself
: getting really mad at him. I end up speaking sharply to him, saying
: "That's dirty...you're supposed to put it in the potty!" He gets upset
: when I chastise him, and the whole thing is just a disaster. I know
: it's not helping him move towards using the potty, but I can't seem to
: contain my anger and disgust over such a silly thing. Maybe it's the
: hormones, (I'm just about 36 weeks). But I'm at my wit's end with my
: stinky big boy, and dreading having two in diapers. Anyone have
: advice?

: Thanks.
: L.A.