The developmental screen

Old July 27th 05, 08:23 AM
Jenrose

Default The developmental screen

We have a local program called "EC Cares" which does free early intervention
for special needs kids. Per the ped's request, we had the evaluator in to
look at Shiny and see how she's doing. First take (she has to go back and do
a major report for final results) is that Shiny is behind on motor
coordination and *vocal* skills, but may even be ahead on her language
comprehension. Prime example:

Evaluator (E): "Do you hear her make vowel sounds?"
Me: "Well, she tries, and sometimes we get something close, but it isn't
what you would normally hear. Let's see if she'll show you."
(to Shiny): "Can you say, "Ah?"
Shiny: (with mouth open and relaxed) "Uh" (sort of open grunt in back of
throat)
Me (to Shiny): "Can you say, "Ooo?"
Shiny: (with lips pursed)"Uh" (tighter grunt in back of throat)
E: "I see what you mean."

So it's clear she understands what I want her to do and what my mouth does
to make it happen, but she flat out hasn't figured out how to bring her
sound forward through her mouth, rather than nasal/gutteral. I should
probably teach her French or German.

The weird thing is that it's all hit and miss. On some things, the evaluator
did the same exercise four times and got four different results. There were
a couple of things that I *know* Shiny can do that she just wasn't
interested in demonstrating.

Socially she's totally on track--but that confounded the test results to a
degree because she'd much rather look at the new interesting face than some
silly old toy.

But she's definitely not 100% where she needs to be--everything requires
conscious effort on her part, nothing is "natural" or "easy".

And of course, this morning I weighed her to discover she'd only put on 3
ounces in 10 days. But this evening when I weighed her, she was up 6 ounces
from the morning. Go figure. Even though she took a four hour nap today.

I got stuff done during that nap, including this:

http://www.jenrose.com/sling/PICT1794.jpg
http://www.jenrose.com/sling/PICT1788.jpg

Jenrose

Old July 31st 05, 11:08 PM
V.

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1122449075.6b6fa2eb5d017634e3db6f9d87ff72f2@t eranews...
I got stuff done during that nap, including this:

http://www.jenrose.com/sling/PICT1794.jpg
http://www.jenrose.com/sling/PICT1788.jpg

Jenrose

Glad Shiny got an eval. Hope you are able to get some services (speech
therapy?) to address some of the issues, but actually sounds like she
compensates in other areas.

That's a beautiful sling! It looks like a Mei Tei? I don't suppose you'd
happen to have a link to the pattern.... I have some pattern links
(babywearer, etc), but it would help to know which one you used (if any) to
get that result. Plus, the more patterns I have the less I tend to screw
up.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Old August 1st 05, 07:16 PM
Jenrose

"V." wrote in message

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1122449075.6b6fa2eb5d017634e3db6f9d87ff72f2@t eranews...
I got stuff done during that nap, including this:

http://www.jenrose.com/sling/PICT1794.jpg
http://www.jenrose.com/sling/PICT1788.jpg

Jenrose

Glad Shiny got an eval. Hope you are able to get some services (speech
therapy?) to address some of the issues, but actually sounds like she
compensates in other areas.

That's a beautiful sling! It looks like a Mei Tei? I don't suppose you'd
happen to have a link to the pattern.... I have some pattern links
(babywearer, etc), but it would help to know which one you used (if any)
to get that result. Plus, the more patterns I have the less I tend to
screw up.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Um. I design slings for a living. I created that pattern. Hopefully in the
next year or so it will be available through Maya Wrap as the Mama Tie. It's
a stretchy wrap/mei tai hybrid design. They're a PITA to make--one of the
things i'm doing right now is figuring out how to streamline the process. A
"fast" one takes me 3 hours. An average ring sling takes me about 20
minutes. A standard mei tai maybe an hour. But the stretchy is super comfy
on my shoulders, so it's worth the hassle right now. But as it's a
non-obvious design (even if you knew all the dimensions, etc. it would be
very hard to duplicate) it's one of the few sling patterns I do that I'm not
sharing.

That one was made for a friend.

Jenrose

Old August 1st 05, 10:20 PM
V.

"Jenrose" wrote in message
news:1122926518.a695a417c3cd38ee1807804a20ab1313@t eranews...

"V." wrote in message

"Jenrose" wrote in message
[...]

Ah, I didn't know you did it for a living! In that case, I hope I can buy
one soon...I'll keep an eye out on the Maya Wrap site.