Ashamed of my temper...

Old June 10th 05, 06:29 AM

Sue writes:
: We found that the easiest way to potty train was to
: allow our kids to run around naked. It is very difficult for a naked
: child to ignore the fact the he/she is pooing. The lead to a very quick
: realization and desire to control the activity.
:
: Hope this helps,
: Larry

: I never had to have my girls run naked and ruin carpet and furniture.

Walk a mile in my shoes honey, this is soo presumptios and judgmental!

Suprisingly, you might find (we did!), that when they are not covered
by clothes they are aware enough of thier bodily functions and have
enough control that they *DON'T* ruin the carpet, thank you very much.

I can count the number of accidents on one hand (and that is for both
of them), and most of those were outside. It is much simpler than you
make out.

Larry
Old June 10th 05, 12:14 PM
Sue

We found that the easiest way to potty train was to
allow our kids to run around naked. It is very difficult for a naked
child to ignore the fact the he/she is pooing. The lead to a very quick
realization and desire to control the activity.

Hope this helps,
Larry

I never had to have my girls run naked and ruin carpet and furniture. If you
wait until the child is truly ready for potty training, it will be done in a
matter of a day. I waited with my third child. The potty was still out from
her sisters and she knew what people did with it. I didn't push her at all.
We had went camping the summer she was two years old. I brought the potty
for the middle of the night bathroom for our tent. Lo and behold, DD3
decided to use the potty that camping trip and she never looked back. Same
thing happened with DD2. I pushed DD1 and it was a horrible experience. So
my advice, you don't have to fool around with running around naked and
ruining everything by having poop and pee on it (how disgusting) you can
just wait until they are truly ready and it will be a breeze.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 10th 05, 02:13 PM
Marie

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:14:30 -0400, "Sue"
wrote:
I never had to have my girls run naked and ruin carpet and furniture. If you
wait until the child is truly ready for potty training, it will be done in a
matter of a day. I waited with my third child. The potty was still out from
her sisters and she knew what people did with it. I didn't push her at all.
We had went camping the summer she was two years old. I brought the potty
for the middle of the night bathroom for our tent. Lo and behold, DD3
decided to use the potty that camping trip and she never looked back. Same
thing happened with DD2. I pushed DD1 and it was a horrible experience. So
my advice, you don't have to fool around with running around naked and
ruining everything by having poop and pee on it (how disgusting) you can
just wait until they are truly ready and it will be a breeze.

Mine never pooped on anything (except Bethany and her finger-painting
in her bed but that wasn't a toileting issue), and nothing was ruined
by being peed on(I can clean the carpet). Drinks get spilled much more
than any of my kids peed on the carpet. I never forced potty-training,
but I did take diapers away around the second birthday (so that means
running nakey)and all three potty trained in a couple of days, no
problems.
Marie
Old June 10th 05, 07:07 PM
Sue

"Marie" wrote in message
Mine never pooped on anything (except Bethany and her finger-painting
in her bed but that wasn't a toileting issue),

I somehow got to miss the fingerpainting with poop. I am surprised though
with three kids.

and nothing was ruined
by being peed on(I can clean the carpet).

I can too, but it's still there. Have you ever lifted up carpeting and see
all the wet spots and stains? It's kind of gross. It also stays in the
furniture and it does start to stink after a while.

Drinks get spilled much more than any of my kids peed on the carpet.

Yes, I will give you that. We have hardwood floors now so clean up is
easier.

I never forced potty-training, but I did take diapers away around the

second birthday (so that means running nakey)and all three potty trained in
a couple of days, no problems.

I just waited until they took themselves to the potty. I call it the lazy
mom's way of potty training. ;o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 10th 05, 07:16 PM

L.A. wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Jamie...

I haven't done the reward thing with him, other than lots of hugs and
praise. I didn't do it with DD...she just enjoyed the praise and
wanted to please us, so she went and was trained by the time she was
two.

It's funny -- we did the all-at-once-naked strategy with DD. She really
really wanted this particular set of stickers that my mom had, so my
mother donated them to the cause. We told DD she could have a sticker
each time she peed.

First day, it was hard to get her to sit on the potty. She would sit
for 10 seconds and then want to get up. All we had to do was remind her
of the stickers and she would stay sitting longer.

She didn't have much success that day at all and was getting stressed
out. Luckily, right before her bath we managed to wave her over her
potty as she peed so she got one coveted sticker and bath and bed.

Second day, she stayed on the potty all day and wouldn't get up without
a lot of encouragement. So that day she had a lot of success and was
basically trained by evening. But what was really funny was that that
second day, she didn't care about the stickers any more! She'd have a
success, accept a sticker nonchalantly. Once I forgot to give her one,
and she didn't care at all.

So she was self motivated on day 2.

Jan

Old June 11th 05, 01:39 PM
Mum of Two

"Marie" wrote in message

TMI: My DH is very uptight about going to the bathroom. He cannot handle
anyone being in the house who might happen to hear him. He gets
constipated
in other people's houses when we stay with them Knowing how his mom
disciplined him, I believe it stems from his potty-training experience.

Funny you should say this. I've never heard of anyone else with this
problem. When we stay with friends, I get terrible gut pains and it took me
years to figure out why, it was hidden so deep in my subconcious.
I think my mother had a pretty laid back parenting style, if a little
overprotective. I'll have to ask her for potty training advice when it's
time to train DD, and see what she comes up with.
Mind you, it could even have been my grandparents, as I spent a lot of time
with them as a toddler, and dear Nana had a thing about potties and
bedwetting and the like.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old June 11th 05, 01:49 PM
Sue

wrote in message
Walk a mile in my shoes honey, this is soo presumptios and judgmental!

No it's not. I was giving the OP another option. She may not want kids
running naked in her house. And I am saying that sometimes if you wait until
the child is truly ready, you won't have to have stuff ruined or have them
run around naked. Kids have to learn to pull off their pants and underwear
to go anyway, so I am a fan of teaching them the right way to do things from
the beginning.

Suprisingly, you might find (we did!), that when they are not covered
by clothes they are aware enough of thier bodily functions and have
enough control that they *DON'T* ruin the carpet, thank you very much.

That's great. I can't say the same for me.

I can count the number of accidents on one hand (and that is for both
of them), and most of those were outside. It is much simpler than you
make out.

I was simply giving the OP another option. I'm not a fan of pushing potty
training, which if you have to have them naked that is what is happening and
I am not a fan of having them run around naked either (although all of them
at one point in time has run around naked, they loved it. No accidents
though). There happens to be more options with children than what you and
Monika do, you know. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 11th 05, 02:55 PM
Marie

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 08:49:58 -0400, "Sue"
wrote:
I am not a fan of having them run around naked either (although all of them
at one point in time has run around naked, they loved it.

LOL I am rarely able to take random pictures of the kids with Bethany
wearing clothes. She's good about keeping clothes on in public though.
She even plays outside naked most of the time (in the back-yard only,
where we live no one except the cows can see into our backyard unless
they are standing at the side of my house)
Marie
Old June 11th 05, 04:11 PM
Sue

"Marie" wrote in message
LOL I am rarely able to take random pictures of the kids with Bethany
wearing clothes. She's good about keeping clothes on in public though.
She even plays outside naked most of the time (in the back-yard only,
where we live no one except the cows can see into our backyard unless
they are standing at the side of my house)
Marie

I do like the nakey phase. Kara was going through it about 2 yrs old and we
went to a New Year's Day party. I had told hubby that I hoped Kara would
keep her clothes on for the party. Later that day, everyone was laughing and
in comes Kara with no clothes on. It was so cute.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old June 11th 05, 04:13 PM
Sue

"Mum of Two" wrote in message
I think my mother had a pretty laid back parenting style, if a little
overprotective.

Laid back and overprotective don't go hand in hand in my book. )
My mom was extremely overprotective and because of this, I adopted the laid
back parenting style and I am not overprotective in the least.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)