Child obesity a form of abuse

Old June 10th 05, 05:40 PM
Banty

Default Child obesity a form of abuse

In article , Greg R says...

On 10 Jun 2005 04:14:54 -0700, Banty wrote:

Not all knee problems. I've been specifically told to stay off bikes.
Maybe, after a knee replacement, I'll be able to bike -- but for now the
orthapedist says to absolutely NOT use a bike -- exercise bike or real
bike.

This is where swimming pools and upper-body strength building come in, if there
is a lot of weight to support and the knees have't been reolved. After that,
full-body strengthening and low-impact exersices like walking.

Exercise *is* extremely important in weight control. It stabilizes blood sugar
metabolism, it (esp. strength training) creates muscle mass that require more
calories to support than other kinds of body tissue, and finally, it directly
consumes calories and encourages the body to call on fat reserves.

"Greg R"s assertion that he lost his one favorite physical activity, therefore
he's fat, is excusifying

Banty

I resent that is as an excuse. I would love to go riding my bike or
even to walk. I actual have walked and biked more that a mile. My
knees have always stopped me-this was before I gained weight. I still
walk and on occasion I have road my bike.

Before my knees went bad.
I even walk with flatfoot problems. I have walked and biked over 30
miles

Read again. The part that says "this is where swimming pools and upper-body
strengthening come in" part.

I don't follow ssfa, I'm here because you answered me only here, and I was
posting from misc.kids. I don't really know what your weight is - congrats on
at least staying stable.

But to say you're "heavy" *because* of your knees, when there are ways to avoid
becoming "heavy" despite not being able to do *every* little kind of exercise
you like, *is* excusifying.

Surely, if your knees were bad *before* you became "heavy" (is that truly the
case?), gaining a lot of weight was no help to your knees.

Be kind to them and to your feet, get a pool membership and some free weights,
and get thee to alt.support.diet, which actually doesn't discuss "diet" so much
as how to devise and maintain a WOE (Way of Eating) and WOL (Way of Living) so
as not to have to live with the pathologies of overweight. Or not. But don't
go telling us all over USENET it's "because of your knees".

Banty (overwelming family history of heart problems and diabetes - we *die* if
we follow the a.s.f-a rationalizations)

Old June 10th 05, 07:15 PM
AJ Davenport

Banty wrote:

SNIP

Banty (overwelming family history of heart problems and diabetes - we *die* if
we follow the a.s.f-a rationalizations)

Just curious, since I've never seen you post to SSFA before, what do
you think those rationlizations are, and how are those rationalizations
going to kill you?

AJ
Because, somebody has to be the Diva!