Skip the night feedings?

Old June 4th 06, 06:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Skip the night feedings?

My son is 5 months and in one of the books I read recently (the one
from the American Academy of Peds) said that at this point, they
shouldn't need to be fed at night.

Last night after eating before bed (at 9), he woke only once at 1AM. I
was asleep and DH comforted him and put him back down without eating.
He woke at 6AM and I fed him then.

Does this make sense? Should I be skipping night feeds at this point?
I am exclusively BF and just started adding some rice cereal about 2
weeks ago.

If he was hungry, wouldn't he not go back down after being comforted?

Thanks in advance,

Old June 4th 06, 10:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
My son is 5 months and in one of the books I read recently (the one
from the American Academy of Peds) said that at this point, they
shouldn't need to be fed at night.

Stuff and nonsense. Some kids can sleep through at that point, but most
100% breastfed babies will want to eat in the night, and should do so
as needed.

Last night after eating before bed (at 9), he woke only once at 1AM. I
was asleep and DH comforted him and put him back down without eating.
He woke at 6AM and I fed him then.

If he was okay with it and is gaining well, okay, but 5 months is
awfully young to go 9 hours without eating, and 9 hours is a LONG time
for you to go without emptying your breasts. I would think for comfort
you'd *want* one feed in there.

Does this make sense? Should I be skipping night feeds at this point?
I am exclusively BF and just started adding some rice cereal about 2
weeks ago.

If he was hungry, wouldn't he not go back down after being comforted?

Maybe, mabye not. Some kids are more hunger-sensitive than others. My
first one couldn't go more than 2-3 hours without eating her first
months. My second one could go 6 hours without eating from day one,
and it was NOT an improvement, because my first daughter gained like
crazy and was extremely healthy and robust, and my younger has a lot of
issues and lost weight. You're the best judge of your kid. With my
first child, if she'd gone to sleep with just comfort, I'd have known
she wasn't hungry because she always let me know if she needed to eat.
My younger, at 14 months is *finally* telling me when she wants to
eat... I had to schedule her because otherwise she simply wouldn't eat
enough.

My rule of thumb is to look at the individual kid. If he's gaining well
and your supply is good, no problem skipping a feed. If he is not
gaining well, you'd do better waking him up or letting him nurse
whenever he wakes himself up.

Jenrose

Old June 4th 06, 10:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:
My son is 5 months and in one of the books I read recently (the one
from the American Academy of Peds) said that at this point, they
shouldn't need to be fed at night.

That's the kind of statement that I find is best ignored.

Last night after eating before bed (at 9), he woke only once at 1AM. I
was asleep and DH comforted him and put him back down without eating.
He woke at 6AM and I fed him then.

Does this make sense? Should I be skipping night feeds at this point?

Depends entirely on what's working for all of you as a family. I went
on nursing Jamie at night until he was sixteen months, purely because it
was the quickest and easiest way to deal with it when he woke in the
night - I didn't have time or energy to spend standing by his cot
comforting him, so I just pulled him into bed with me, stuffed a nipple
in his mouth, and went back to sleep. If nursing him at night had been
a problem, I'd have stopped it a lot earlier.

If he was hungry, wouldn't he not go back down after being comforted?

I agree. I know Jenrose told you that her second daughter didn't have
normal hunger signals and needed to be fed on a schedule, but, as you
may or may not know, this was actually due to a rare genetic problem
that Jenrose's daughter has (and that made itself obvious in other ways
as well, so wouldn't be something undiagnosed or unnoticed). Some
people say that some newborns don't wake to feed as often as they should
- but your son isn't a newborn, and I think it's fair to assume that if
he wants food he'll let you know loud and clear. Conversely, if he's
settling without food and staying asleep for hours after that, he isn't
hungry and you can quite reasonably do whatever is easiest for you as a
way to put him back to sleep.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old June 5th 06, 12:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is 5 months and in one of the books I read recently (the one
from the American Academy of Peds) said that at this point, they
shouldn't need to be fed at night.

Last night after eating before bed (at 9), he woke only once at 1AM. I
was asleep and DH comforted him and put him back down without eating.
He woke at 6AM and I fed him then.

Does this make sense? Should I be skipping night feeds at this point?
I am exclusively BF and just started adding some rice cereal about 2
weeks ago.

If he was hungry, wouldn't he not go back down after being comforted?

Thanks in advance,

I think at 5 months, you should NOT skip a night feeding. Just my opinion,
but they go through so many growth spurts, it doesn't seem right to try and
restrict a meal. My first child didn't go without a night feeding until 8
months or so, and we're at 6 months right now with EMily, and she still
needs 1-2 feeds per night.

Now, if your child is easily soothed back to sleep without a feeding, maybe
it's not critical, but if your son is difficult to get back to sleep, he is
probably hungry and should be fed.

Old June 6th 06, 02:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I would play it by ear. I don't think there's any one
right or wrong answer. Questions to consider: what are
reasons you want him to sleep through the night, and
reasons you don't want him to? For example, if you're
desperate for a longer sleep, it will be of some importance
to you to get him to sleep longer. If you don't mind waking
to feed him, that's not much of an issue. You might want to
keep the night feedings to keep up your milk supply or to
try to keep your periods from coming back (or vice versa).
It might be easy or difficult to get him to sleep through.

I don't think there's any "should" here. You just
consider your reasons and make a decision. You may
change your mind again later, too.

When he's teething or sick he may need/want to nurse
frequently through the night for comfort. Hunger is not
the only reason to nurse; and hunger doesn't always keep
a person awake.

Old June 6th 06, 11:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
" wrote:

My son is 5 months and in one of the books I read recently (the one
from the American Academy of Peds) said that at this point, they
shouldn't need to be fed at night.

snort

Please ask the AAP to post that book to my son. He is 1 year old and wakes at
about 1am, then again at about 4am, followed by frequent feeds till 6:30,
whereupon he's ready to start the day.

I have a 5yo who woke regularly at midnight for a feed until 3.5yo. BUT he
now sleeps a good night's sleep and night wakings are very rare. Unless a
chld is waking at the end of every sleep cycle, I don't think there is
anything wrong.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue