Political correctness - What is it with aggressive mothers?

Old October 7th 03, 02:46 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Default Politically Incorrect WAS Political correctness

Banty wrote:

Actually I think the comment his show got kicked off for was about a legit and
interesting point, just he went off the deep end as to how it was stated
(regarding US troops and cowardice). It wasn't even least of what was
concerning me about the show. But it was symptomatic of how Bill Mahr was
basically getting full of himself. I had already stopped watching it by that
time.

I remember the show and his comment. Really, he didn't slam the troops.
He slammed the "Powers That Be". But, it didn't matter because of the
following interpretation of his comment, the damage was done.

As to Bill Mahr getting full of himself, I think he always was. ;-)

The show had a great start and I did enjoy it for some time (as someone here
guessed), but it soured rather suddenly - even before 9/11. It was turning into
Bill Mahr's Nightly Opinions, and it was getting out of hand especially after
9/11 as he was getting deep into the Clash of Civilizations stuff and harping on
a very simplistic and one-sided view of the Mideast conflict as well. All of
which was starting to border on hate speech IMNSHO.

I agree. I think he was also trying to do "damage control" but it
wasn't working. I stopped watching after a while as well because,
frankly, it was the same topic every night and I was sick of it. But,
near the end, he started to get back to the format pre-9/11 and I
started watching again. Unfortunately, the show was already cancelled
and they were just fulfilling the contract to the end of the season.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old October 7th 03, 03:06 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

Default Political correctness - What is it with aggressive mothers?

: The show had a great start and I did enjoy it for some time (as someone
here
: guessed), but it soured rather suddenly - even before 9/11. It was
turning into
: Bill Mahr's Nightly Opinions, and it was getting out of hand especially
after
: 9/11 as he was getting deep into the Clash of Civilizations stuff and
harping on
: a very simplistic and one-sided view of the Mideast conflict as well. All
of
: which was starting to border on hate speech IMNSHO.

Well, I have to admit I didn't ever watch it after it went from the Comedy
channel to ABC. I really enjoyed some of his guests though--like whenever
he had Marilyn Manson on was always interesting--you'd be surprised how
smart he actually is!
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 7th 03, 03:07 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I remember the show and his comment. Really, he didn't slam the troops.
: He slammed the "Powers That Be". But, it didn't matter because of the
: following interpretation of his comment, the damage was done.

So what was the comment then? Do you remember it?

: As to Bill Mahr getting full of himself, I think he always was. ;-)

Well of course he was, he's an actor.
--
ColoradoSkiBum
Old October 7th 03, 03:35 AM
DeliciousTruffles

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:

: I remember the show and his comment. Really, he didn't slam the troops.
: He slammed the "Powers That Be". But, it didn't matter because of the
: following interpretation of his comment, the damage was done.

So what was the comment then? Do you remember it?

Here's a link that quotes what was said:

Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old October 7th 03, 03:42 AM
Banty

In article , DeliciousTruffles says...

Banty wrote:

Actually I think the comment his show got kicked off for was about a legit and
interesting point, just he went off the deep end as to how it was stated
(regarding US troops and cowardice). It wasn't even least of what was
concerning me about the show. But it was symptomatic of how Bill Mahr was
basically getting full of himself. I had already stopped watching it by that
time.

I remember the show and his comment. Really, he didn't slam the troops.
He slammed the "Powers That Be". But, it didn't matter because of the
following interpretation of his comment, the damage was done.

No he didn't slam the troops. He was talking about the media, basically. But
it was taken out of context. But the show was humanely euthanized perhaps a bit
soon for an early symptom of a terminal illness IMO.

As to Bill Mahr getting full of himself, I think he always was. ;-)

Well, sure he was always an ego. He always had his opinions, too. But he'd
have a wry humor about them. In the last months of the show, though, it was
turning into straight opinion, and *Bill's* opinion. Bill's a funny and
sometimes insightful political comic, but by far doesn't have the depth to be a
pundit.

The show had a great start and I did enjoy it for some time (as someone here
guessed), but it soured rather suddenly - even before 9/11. It was turning into
Bill Mahr's Nightly Opinions, and it was getting out of hand especially after
9/11 as he was getting deep into the Clash of Civilizations stuff and harping on
a very simplistic and one-sided view of the Mideast conflict as well. All of
which was starting to border on hate speech IMNSHO.

I agree. I think he was also trying to do "damage control" but it
wasn't working. I stopped watching after a while as well because,
frankly, it was the same topic every night and I was sick of it. But,
near the end, he started to get back to the format pre-9/11 and I
started watching again. Unfortunately, the show was already cancelled
and they were just fulfilling the contract to the end of the season.

Oh, well, it was one of those initially good things that was bound not to last..

Cheers,
Banty

Old October 7th 03, 06:43 AM
P. Tierney

"Banty" wrote:

Unfortunately, the show was already cancelled
and they were just fulfilling the contract to the end of the season.

Oh, well, it was one of those initially good things that was bound not to

last..

It is lasting, actually. He just completed his second season of
Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO. It's essentially the same
show, but with a lot more profanity since it's on cable. It's also
weekly.

The past season had a slew of good guests, including 3-4
presidential candidates. He's irritating in many ways (like how
he always laughs at his own jokes), but it's still an entertaining
and often informative hour.

P.
Tierney

Old October 7th 03, 12:06 PM
Banty

In article Fnsgb.510789$Oz4.369597@rwcrnsc54, P. Tierney says...

"Banty" wrote:

Unfortunately, the show was already cancelled
and they were just fulfilling the contract to the end of the season.

Oh, well, it was one of those initially good things that was bound not to

last..

It is lasting, actually. He just completed his second season of
Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO. It's essentially the same
show, but with a lot more profanity since it's on cable. It's also
weekly.

The past season had a slew of good guests, including 3-4
presidential candidates. He's irritating in many ways (like how
he always laughs at his own jokes), but it's still an entertaining
and often informative hour.

Ah.

Well, if The Sopranos didn't get me to buy HBO then Bill Mahr won't.

So, is he back to his normal funny self, or still on a crusade against the
Islamic Civilization?

Banty

Old October 7th 03, 02:11 PM
Tom Enright

Banty wrote in message ...

No he didn't slam the troops. He was talking about the media, basically.
But it was taken out of context. But the show was humanely euthanized
perhaps a bit soon for an early symptom of a terminal illness IMO.

Rush Limbaugh says hi.

snip

-TOE

Cheers,
Banty

Old October 7th 03, 05:16 PM
P. Tierney

"Banty" wrote:

Unfortunately, the show was already cancelled
and they were just fulfilling the contract to the end of the season.

Oh, well, it was one of those initially good things that was bound not

last..

It is lasting, actually. He just completed his second season of
Real Time With Bill Maher on HBO. It's essentially the same
show, but with a lot more profanity since it's on cable. It's also
weekly.

The past season had a slew of good guests, including 3-4
presidential candidates. He's irritating in many ways (like how
he always laughs at his own jokes), but it's still an entertaining
and often informative hour.

Ah.

Well, if The Sopranos didn't get me to buy HBO then Bill Mahr won't.

I've still not watched that, but Six Feet Under is quite good.

So, is he back to his normal funny self, or still on a crusade against the
Islamic Civilization?

The topics tend to be current events items, and "Islamic
civilization" isn't the current event that it once was. So, I'd
say no. That's not to say that it hasn't come up, but given that
it's a weekly show instead of a daily, he can't quite focus on
one topic for too long a time period.

He's pretty funny, as is the show because the guests are
generally better and he doesn't have as many talk radio
freaks on that he once did.

P. Tierney