info on inductions

Old February 21st 04, 09:46 PM
Melissa Ann

Default info on inductions

I just wanted to share this resource with those who are facing an induction
and are not sure what the risks and alternatives are.

http://www.mother-care.ca/ind_info.htm

-Melissa Ann

Old February 22nd 04, 12:15 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Induction Insanity

PREGNANT WOMEN: Standard medical delivery positioins close the birth canal
up to 30%. Please don't let your OB or CNMwife close your birth canal up to
30%.

INDUCTION INSANITY... To chemically INDUCE violent uterine contractions and
allow the end of the delivery to proceed with the birth canal senselessly
closed - well that is INDUCTION INSANITY

LADIES: It's EASY to allow your birth canals to OPEN the "extra" up to 30%:
Just roll onto your side as you push your baby out - or kneel or
hands-and-knees or - virtually ANYTHING but semisitting or dorsal.

Talk to your OB or CNMwife about this today! But please note my
"alternative" delivery position WARNING in ACOG birth crime video evidence,
URL below.

INDUCTION CONTRAINDICATION:
CEPHALOPELVIC DISPROPORTION

Gail Dahl indicates that cephalopelvic disproportion is a contraindication
for induction:

"The Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties, Thirty-Fifth Edition,
Copyright 2000 details the adverse effects and risks of induced labor
including fetal distress, failure to progress, failed induction leading to
episiotomy and forceps delivery or emergency cesearean operation,
hypercontractility, and fetal heart rate abnormalties. Contraindications
include: Patients with a history of cesarean section, major uterine surgery;
patients with cephalopelvic disproportion..."
http://www.mother-care.ca/induction1.htm

Gail Dahl doesn't mention that MDs CAUSE cephalopelvic disproportion!

MDs admit ON VIDEO that they are closing birth canals!

(It's an indirect admission: MDs are shown how to allow birth canals to
open maximally when the shoulders get stuck - which means MDs are closing
birth canals in the majority of births.)

See ACOG birth crime video evidence
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2300

Why doesn't Gail mention that MDs are causing cephalopelvic disproportion?

Why doesn't Mother Care's **Connie Banack** mention this? (Connie knows
about it - she may still mention me and the biomechanics in her Pushing
Positions paper - if so, she could mention her own paper as an editor's
note/link in Gail's article.)

Induction or not - it makes NO sense to let MDs close birth canals up to
30%.

Gail writes of "the baby smashing against an incomplete pelvic floor"...

"...the baby [is] pounded out...with the head of the baby smashing against
an incomplete pelvic floor. This action can cause irreparable damage to the
baby's brain, this action also places stress on the baby's heart and
oxygenation to the brain. These ineffective and incomplete contractions
create a longer labor, tiring the mother out often causing the mother to ask
for pain relieving drugs to counteract the intense and unending artificial
contractions."

Babies are being smashed against pelvic outlets senselessly closed up to
30%!

I say again: MDs CAUSE cephalopelvic disproportion!

See Christina! What about the PELVIS?! (Autism and BAD McRoberts
maneuver...)

Induction or not - it makes NO sense to let MDs close birth canals up to
30%.

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS1 My thanks to Melissa Ann for mentioning the Mother Care induction info.

"Melissa Ann" wrote in message
I just wanted to share this resource with those who are facing an

induction
and are not sure what the risks and alternatives are.

http://www.mother-care.ca/ind_info.htm

-Melissa Ann

PS2 Induction chemicals have their place - just like forceps and vacuums
have their place - but MDs should not push or pull on babies' spines with
birth canals senselessly closed up to 30%.

This post will be archived for global access at:

Old February 22nd 04, 05:54 AM
Amy

Hyperventilating, hyperventilating....
Arrrrgghhh!
I can't cope with labouring on my back with continual EFM! Or the
possibility of uterine rupture!
But I also can't deal with two more weeks in which another of my babies
could be stillborn!
*Bangs head against wall*
Can someone please wave their magic wand and pop this baby out on cue at 38
weeks?

Old February 22nd 04, 11:38 AM
Cheryl

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:54:01 +1300, "Amy"
wrote:

Hyperventilating, hyperventilating....
Arrrrgghhh!
I can't cope with labouring on my back with continual EFM! Or the
possibility of uterine rupture!
But I also can't deal with two more weeks in which another of my babies
could be stillborn!
*Bangs head against wall*
Can someone please wave their magic wand and pop this baby out on cue at 38
weeks?

Continuous EFM doesn't have to be a big deal. It doesn't have to tie
you to the bed or to labouring on your back. I had continuous EFM
with #2 due to an induction at 38 weeks and I spent most of my labour
walking around (albeit on a fairly tight leash) and upright until I
felt like climbing onto the bed for transition. Talk to your care
providers because they can often bend the "rules" for people who ask
and know what they are talking about.
--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old February 22nd 04, 03:29 PM
Mary Gordon

Amy, sorry to raise a painful subject, but do you know what caused
your prior stillbirth?
Why I ask is do you have a medical condition that has repeated itself
that requires induction early?

I've known more than a few people who have had tragic late term
losses, and the causes were quite random - and induction wouldn't have
helped i.e. if baby had died at 36 weeks, should they be saying I
wish they'd induced at 35 weeks etc. etc.

Mary G.
Old February 22nd 04, 07:29 PM
Amy

Continuous EFM doesn't have to be a big deal. It doesn't have to tie
you to the bed or to labouring on your back. I had continuous EFM
with #2 due to an induction at 38 weeks and I spent most of my labour
walking around (albeit on a fairly tight leash) and upright until I
felt like climbing onto the bed for transition. Talk to your care
providers because they can often bend the "rules" for people who ask
and know what they are talking about.

Thanks Cheryl...this site said basically you will end up delivering
semi-sitting due to the EFM. With my son I laboured on all fours and
delivered side-lying. _No-one_ will make me lie down, it's not comfortable
for me. This was really freaking me out, so thanks for that :-)

Old February 22nd 04, 07:43 PM
Amy

"Mary Gordon" wrote in message
m...
Amy, sorry to raise a painful subject, but do you know what caused
your prior stillbirth?
Why I ask is do you have a medical condition that has repeated itself
that requires induction early?

I've known more than a few people who have had tragic late term
losses, and the causes were quite random - and induction wouldn't have
helped i.e. if baby had died at 36 weeks, should they be saying I
wish they'd induced at 35 weeks etc. etc.

It's ok Mary, I don't mind talking about it at all. Partly the problem is
that they don't know what caused my son's death, which happened at 29 weeks.
My placenta was never sent away as I requested, there was a bit of a bungle
there that upset me, but it was observed at birth to be abnormal, it's not
clear whether that was due to a clot or abruption or placental degradation,
but there was something wrong there.
After my son's birth, my midwife made the comment "They'll never let you go
full-term again", and while I went through a brief period of mourning at
never again able to have a 'normal' pg and birth, once I got pg again it
seemed like a great idea. After all most stillbirths happen between 38-40
weeks, and to be honest the less time I have to spend pg the better, because
every day is an emotional battle. I'm under an OB as well this time (great
guy, so I will discuss this with him) and it just seemed a given I'd be
induced at 38 weeks this time, although I never questioned it. I thought it
would be no big deal as I'd been induced for the stillbirth of my son.

However, everything I've read since has opened a real can of worms for me,
and I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I (foolishly) didn't even
consider that induction for a live baby might be done differently. Best case
scenario I can think of for me, is that I go into labour early naturally
just before a planned induction. That would save worrying about all this.
One thing I'm wondering, is it possible and safe to attempt to ripen the
cervix by prostaglandins etc beforehand, and see if I don't go into labour
naturally before trying anything with pitocin? Or could there be
complications with that too?

~Amy

Old February 22nd 04, 08:30 PM
Emily

Amy wrote:

[...]

Well, there's one kind of prostaglandins that you don't need
a Rx for, and which I suppose there's no reason not to go for
unless you've been put on "pelvic rest", IFYKWIM.

Seriously though, I hope this all works out for you. The doula
I had for DS told me that she thought stress in a woman's life
(e.g., from working right up to the due date) is factor leading
to late deliveries. She believed this so strongly, she actually
*charged more* for women who worked up to their due date, since
later deliveries (in her experience) tend to involve longer
labors and therefore mean more work for her. So, if it's at
all possible, you might consider taking it really easy for
the month before your due date, and getting your mind and body
ready to deliver, in the hopes that that might encourage the
baby to come sooner...

--
Emily
mom to Toby 5/1/02
#2 EDD 7/19/04
Old February 22nd 04, 10:10 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Which site "said basically you will end up delivering semi-sitting due to
the EFM"?

Old February 23rd 04, 01:54 AM
Cheryl

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:43:51 +1300, "Amy"
wrote:

However, everything I've read since has opened a real can of worms for me,
and I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I (foolishly) didn't even
consider that induction for a live baby might be done differently. Best case
scenario I can think of for me, is that I go into labour early naturally
just before a planned induction. That would save worrying about all this.
One thing I'm wondering, is it possible and safe to attempt to ripen the
cervix by prostaglandins etc beforehand, and see if I don't go into labour
naturally before trying anything with pitocin? Or could there be
complications with that too?

The fact that you've had one vaginal birth before, regardless of how
it happened or when, gives you a huge advantage when it comes to
having your second baby induced. There was a poster here year before
last who had an unexplained term stillbirth and was induced for the
same reason as you with her next baby. It went well from what I
remember. She had gone backwards and forwards on the induction issue
right up until 39w and then made the decision that it was more
stressful to wait for spontaneous labour than to have the induction.

Generally most inductions are started with cervical ripening anyway
but you have to be careful about which medication they use. If your
cervix is very ripe they might start the induction with AROM or
pitocin but usually they will try to make sure that the cervix is very
ready before either of those.