contraception question

Old May 3rd 06, 10:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default contraception question

Hi all

Obviously, nearing the end of my pregnancy, I am beginning to think about
what contraception I will use afterwards. (scary how close its getting! I
made the last series of midwife appts today! Didn't want them to get booked
up in the last few weeks!)

I can't take the pill, the injection or the hormone implant - the pill (all
varieties) make me violently sick, so the doc doesnt want to give me the
others, as obviously, unlike the pill, i can't just stop taking them after
the sickness starts.

Personally, although DH doesn't mind them, I don't like condoms. That said,
he's had nearly a year without them now - I guess he might be reluctant to
go back!

I thought about the coil, as this seems a good option. We want to try for
another baby when Jessica's about 18months old, so I want something that can
be removed when I need it to be removed. However, I've been Googling, and it
seems a lot of people have found it takes a very long time to conceive after
it's been removed. That said, I am still a little ignorant on how they
work - do they contain the same hormones etc as the pill etc? If so, I guess
these wont be an option either.

Diaphragms/caps seem like a lot of messing about... they also seem to take a
lot of the spontaneity out of it. The same with natural family planning.

So I think we're down to condoms or the coil - provided thats an option.
Obviously, I will discuss it with the midwife/doc, but I'm just curious
about what people think.

Thanks

Lucy
--

Due with a little girl 15.06.06
http://lucys-pregnancy.tripod.com/

Old May 3rd 06, 06:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

lucy-h wrote:
[...]

I'd vote for a combination of charting/NFP and condoms. Honestly, once you
get the hang of your cycles, you will KNOW when you are ovulating without
having to much about with thermometers or what not. You will know what
days/weeks you can have sex without any protection at all, and when you
should use a condom.

Some IUD's use hormones and some don't, so a hormoneless IUD may be an
option. But, as the mother of an adopted IUD baby, I just have to remind
you that they don't always work. : ). Luckily for me!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old May 5th 06, 11:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Anne Rogers wrote:
I thought about the coil, as this seems a good option. We want to try for
another baby when Jessica's about 18months old, so I want something that
can
be removed when I need it to be removed. However, I've been Googling, and
it
seems a lot of people have found it takes a very long time to conceive
after
it's been removed. That said, I am still a little ignorant on how they
work - do they contain the same hormones etc as the pill etc? If so, I
guess
these wont be an option either.

One type of coil (the Mirena) has a very low dose of progestagen (one of
the hormones in the Pill). It's unlikely that such a low dose will
affect you. Other types of coil have no hormones. They work mainly by
killing off sperm (the copper in them is toxic to sperm), and partly by
preventing implantation of fertilised eggs, which is only a small part
of their effect but is an ethical problem for some people.

They shouldn't delay the return of fertility after removal. Some people
take a while to conceive, so, by the law of averages, there are going to
be some people who take a while to conceive after having a coil out.

some do, some don't, however with the good old NHS they won't agree to
insert one if you are thinking you are going to be trying again in a
relatively short space of time.

This definitely shouldn't be a problem with the non-hormonal coils, and
probably wouldn't even be a problem with the Mirena for 18 months. (I'd
have to check, but I think that over that length of time it works out as
good value for money.)

BTW, Lucy, have you tried progestagen-only pills? They're less likely
to make you sick than combined pills. (I know you probably have - I
just find some people don't know about these even when they've tried
several other kinds.)

All the best,

Sarah

--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

But how do we _know_ that no-one ever said on their deathbed that they
wished they’d spent more time at the office?
Old May 5th 06, 11:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Jamie Clark wrote:

I'd vote for a combination of charting/NFP and condoms. Honestly, once you
get the hang of your cycles, you will KNOW when you are ovulating without
having to much about with thermometers or what not. You will know what
days/weeks you can have sex without any protection at all, and when you
should use a condom.

Some IUD's use hormones and some don't, so a hormoneless IUD may be an
option. But, as the mother of an adopted IUD baby, I just have to remind
you that they don't always work. : ). Luckily for me!

Well, no, but they're more likely to work than condoms. I don't quite
see the logic behind advising someone to use condoms because a coil
might fail.

All the best,

Sarah

Old May 6th 06, 12:37 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
Jamie Clark wrote:

I'd vote for a combination of charting/NFP and condoms. Honestly,
once you get the hang of your cycles, you will KNOW when you are
ovulating without having to much about with thermometers or what
not. You will know what days/weeks you can have sex without any
protection at all, and when you should use a condom.

Some IUD's use hormones and some don't, so a hormoneless IUD may be
an option. But, as the mother of an adopted IUD baby, I just have
to remind you that they don't always work. : ). Luckily for me!

Well, no, but they're more likely to work than condoms. I don't quite
see the logic behind advising someone to use condoms because a coil
might fail.

You are reading the wrong connection. I wasn't recommending condoms because
the coil might fail, I was recommending condoms because it appeared that she
might not be able to get a coil for a short period of time, and, because I
prefer condoms to leaving something semi-permanently inserted into my
uterus. And, because condoms are non-hormonal, and she could use them on a
few occasions per month when she was fertile, if she was doing NFP or
charting.

I was just pointing out the anecdotal evidence of the failure of IUD's,
since that's near and dear to my heart.

Old May 8th 06, 06:03 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Hi,

Diaphragms/caps seem like a lot of messing about... they also seem to take a
lot of the spontaneity out of it.

They are not alot of messing about, but do remove some of the
spontaneity, but this might be outweighed by the advantages: non
hormonal therefore nothing to react to and no waiting for your cycle to
return. With an infant around, your sex lives will change somewhat and
you might find the diaphragm works for you and your partner.

Don't rule it out.

Mary Ann

Do you support or advocate, morally or ethically [email protected] Foster Parents 7 March 24th 05 02:29 AM
Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 03:23 PM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 03:28 AM