Door Knob covers for crystal doorknobs

Old June 11th 04, 08:13 PM
Nancy P

Default Door Knob covers for crystal doorknobs

I live in an 80 year old house, and all of the doorknobs are the crystal
kind. I put some doorknobs covers on rooms I don't want the kids to have
free access to, but they don't seem to work. Does anyone know if the
crystal doorknobs are a different size from standard doorknobs? Basically,
they fit over the knob, but when I turn the knob with the cover on it, the
door opens (without pushing down the buttons). I'm thinking we could
install hook and eye latches, but I'd rather not put holes in the molding.
Anyone have a solution?

Nancy

Old June 11th 04, 09:58 PM
JennP

"Nancy P" wrote in message
I live in an 80 year old house, and all of the doorknobs are the crystal
kind. I put some doorknobs covers on rooms I don't want the kids to have
free access to, but they don't seem to work. Does anyone know if the
crystal doorknobs are a different size from standard doorknobs?

Basically,
they fit over the knob, but when I turn the knob with the cover on it, the
door opens (without pushing down the buttons). I'm thinking we could
install hook and eye latches, but I'd rather not put holes in the molding.
Anyone have a solution?

We have crystal knobs also (don't you love the older homes?). IIRC, the
covers did not fit our knobs. The hardware was too wide for them to fit.

--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old June 12th 04, 06:49 AM
toypup

"Nancy P" wrote in message
I live in an 80 year old house, and all of the doorknobs are the crystal
kind. I put some doorknobs covers on rooms I don't want the kids to have
free access to, but they don't seem to work. Does anyone know if the
crystal doorknobs are a different size from standard doorknobs?

Basically,
they fit over the knob, but when I turn the knob with the cover on it, the
door opens (without pushing down the buttons). I'm thinking we could
install hook and eye latches, but I'd rather not put holes in the molding.
Anyone have a solution?

We changed the doorknobs on the doors we wanted to lock to lockable knobs.
The key sits above the door on the frame. Someday, we'll change them back.

Old June 15th 04, 03:43 AM
Nancy P

"Nancy P" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the
crystal doorknobs are a different size from standard doorknobs?

Darn, well, I was hoping someone would know of a cover that fit older style
knobs. Thanks for your input, though.

Nancy

Old June 15th 04, 04:36 AM
JennP

"Nancy P" wrote in message

"Nancy P" wrote in message
Does anyone know if the
crystal doorknobs are a different size from standard doorknobs?

Darn, well, I was hoping someone would know of a cover that fit older

style
knobs. Thanks for your input, though.

Never found one, sorry.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old June 15th 04, 09:48 PM
Mary Gordon

You can always fill in the holes later with wood filler, and you won't
even be able to see it. Hook and eye closures are really handy -
especially the spring loaded ones, so a kid can't reach up with a
hockey stick and unlatch them. We have them up high on several doors
in our house because you will want the option of keeping kids out of
certain areas long past toddlerhood.

We have three kids, now 13, 10 and 6.

We entertain a lot, and we frequently still latch the door to our
bedroom when other people's kids are over, so they don't get into
stuff. We latch the furnace room, and the upstairs laundry room -
again not so much to keep our kids out, but to keep their FRIENDS out
of there (you never know where kids playing at your house will go, and
you can't watch a herd of them every second). We also latch the
basement pantry periodically, depending on who is over playing and
what's in there.

If nothing else, it gives the clear "no-go area" message to an older
kid, as well as effectively stopping the really little ones.

Our kids are pretty big, and they do know better than to get into most
stuff, but their friends may not, so the latches are still in use and
they won't come down for a few years yet.

Mary G.