Glucose number range

Old February 1st 04, 05:59 AM
Karen

Default Glucose number range

Just recently had my one hour. I asked the nurse when we were going over
my results for the range the lab uses, as I was curious because of
recent discussion here. I went to a Qwest/Unliab in the SF bay area, and
their range was 65-139 being "normal." I got an 83, by the way!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old February 1st 04, 07:21 PM
Carla

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 04:59:42 GMT, Karen wrote:

Just recently had my one hour. I asked the nurse when we were going over
my results for the range the lab uses, as I was curious because of
recent discussion here. I went to a Qwest/Unliab in the SF bay area, and
their range was 65-139 being "normal." I got an 83, by the way!

Mine was 96 which I thought was good but yours is REALLY good! I was
just releived that I didn't have to come back. There was another lady
there at the same time that was due only a week after me (both of us
pg with our 1st) and hers was 147 and they told her that she'd have to
come back for the 3 hour and I just knew that I was gonna have to come
back too...phew what a relief!

I feel like I got a good grade for a test that I didn't study for --
but it still felt good!

Carla
EDD
5/14/04
Old February 2nd 04, 12:12 AM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article ,
Carla wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 04:59:42 GMT, Karen wrote:

I went to a Qwest/Unliab in the SF bay area, and
their range was 65-139 being "normal." I got an 83, by the way!

Mine was 96 which I thought was good but yours is REALLY good!

Disclaimer A: This is pretty much off-topic.

Disclaimer B: I am not a doctor, but my DH has Type II diabetes.

My understanding is that "normal" blood sugar for a human is between 80 and
120; so 83 isn't really any "better" than 96, any more than 96 would be
better than 119.

The assertion that 65 is normal, though, is frustrating. I've always fought
with hypoglycemia, but my understanding is it's not "offically" hypoglycemia
unless your blood sugar goes under 50. Let me tell you, though, that when
your blood sugar is 65, you feel like CRAP. At 80, I'm hungry. At 65, I'm
weak, dizzy, and scatterbrained. (At 40, apparently you go into a coma; so
I'm thinking setting the threshold at 50 doesn't leave much margin for error.)

Fortunately, the treatment for hypoglycemia is similar to that for Type II
diabetes: cut back on the carbs and sugars. So DH and I support each other,
and that helps a LOT. The biggest difference is that I have to snack between
meals, and he doesn't.

End of rant. My midwife didn't call me with the results of my 1-hour test,
so I'm assuming I was within normal parameters. I'm just curious to find
out what I was!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04

--

"No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. Man's reason and
spirit have often solved the seemingly unsolvable - and we believe they
Old February 2nd 04, 12:38 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Elizabeth H Bonesteel wrote:

(At 40, apparently you go into a coma; so
I'm thinking setting the threshold at 50 doesn't leave much margin for error.)

My mother has been an insulin dependent diabetic since she was 27 years
old. (I was born when she was 30.) I have assisted her through many,
many insulin reactions through the years and can safely assert that at a
blood sugar of 40, *she* can quite commonly assist herself enough to fix
appropriate food, eat it, and bring it back up.

Her blood sugar has registered in the low 20's during the times that she
actually required assistance and was acting demented. (Asking questions
over and over again, etc.) During those times she also has a nasty habit
of falling because one of her legs is marginally shorter than the other
(by 1/2-3/4 an inch) and she loses balance easily. After the falling in
which she usually breaks something (her pelvis, vertebrae in her back)
she requires paramedics, but is usually sitting up and talking to them
when they arrive.

One time she seized, at which time her blood sugar did not register, and
it took a few hours before she was regulated.

It has been my experience that diabetics, hypoglycemics, and healthy
people react all quite differently to blood sugar levels.

A healthy can quite easily have a blood sugar level of 65 without
feeling symptoms at all.

Each person is also individual in what their liver will produce under
stress. Low blood sugar is supposed to be counteracted by glucose spit
from stores in the liver. If your stores are low or you have a
malfunction in the ability to store glucose, you will be much sicker
with low blood sugar than otherwise.

Old February 2nd 04, 02:54 AM
Elizabeth H Bonesteel

In article M5gTb.158189$5V2.827777@attbi_s53,
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

[lots of good info deleted]

Thanks, Shena - I admittedly only have experience with two data points,
myself and my DH. And a couple of doctors who insist I'm "normal" because
my blood sugar doesn't get what is officially considered to be dangerously
low, regardless of how my system reacts to it. I suppose that was what I
was venting my spleen about!

Liz
EDD 5/22/04