Baby undoing infant seat!

Old July 13th 03, 12:07 AM
dragonlady

Default Baby undoing infant seat!

In article ,
"E" wrote:

ok, i missed the original post, but why does this child think it's ok to get
out (is an option) in the first place?
IME, my kids were not allowed to be in the car unless they were strapped in.
it got to the pouint where they wouldn't let us drive off unless WE were
buckled in. if they don't know it's an option, they don't (usually) do it.
JME
Edith
nak

Spoken like a person who never parented an escape artist! It's amazing
the things kids figure out they can do without anyone showing them first.

My daughter started getting out of any sort of restraints at an
astonishingly young age. She had NEVER been in the car without being
bucked in, had never been in her stroller without the buckle, etc. --
but she managed to figure out how to get out of them, anyway.

She hated (still hates) being restrained in any way, and started getting
out of them quite young. I think she was well into her teens before she
stopped fighting the car seat belt!

Some kids are just more difficult in this regard than others. I, too,
have kids who wouldn't think of being in a car without being strapped in
-- then there's DD#2 . . .

meh

Old July 13th 03, 05:21 AM
RuggyKurtz

ok, i missed the original post, but why does this child think it's ok to get
out (is an option) in the first place?
IME, my kids were not allowed to be in the car unless they were strapped in.
it got to the pouint where they wouldn't let us drive off unless WE were
buckled in. if they don't know it's an option, they don't (usually) do it.
JME
Edith
nak

If I remember corectly, it was an 8 month old infant?

Brandy
Old July 14th 03, 08:41 PM
H Schinske

Probably because the baby is, well, the baby, and when babies are
growing they figure out how to do things whether or not you've told
them they can. As far as knowing that they CAN do it, when Mom and
Dad put baby in and take baby out of the car seat all the time, so
s/he knows it can be done and is mimicking the behavior.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!

I meant at times other than when allowed.
Edith

Allowed? An eight-month-old is supposed to know what's *allowed*? At that age,
they have habits, but they don't have consciences. So, many babies will never
think to take their seatbelts off, but it's not because they're thinking, "Oh,
Mommy doesn't like me to do that, she tells me not to, I'd better not."

--Helen
Old July 15th 03, 06:52 AM
iphigenia

H Schinske wrote:
So,
many babies will never think to take their seatbelts off, but it's
not because they're thinking, "Oh, Mommy doesn't like me to do that,
she tells me not to, I'd better not."

Would I ever be thrilled if my two-year-old ever seemed to think that...

--
iphigenia, who seems to say "Didn't I just tell you not to do that?" a lot
lately...