Losing weight during first trimester....

Old November 17th 03, 09:33 PM
Jill

Default Losing weight during first trimester....

"H Schinske" wrote
Sounds like my mom's obstetrician. He actually had her on amphetamines for

two
of her pregnancies, so she wouldn't gain "too much" weight. Most of her
pregnancies were during the fifties, when you weren't supposed to gain a

whole
lot more than the baby was supposed to weigh.

Are you serious! Goodness....amphetamines, unbelievable. I wonder if this is
why my mom's generation is so hung up on weight- for those here closer to
that geenration, that's not a slam and I am not saying everyone is, but I
have noticed that my mom and her friends , that is ALL they talk about. When
they see an old friend they have not seen in years that is the first thing
they discuss- has she gained or lost weight. If she's lost it's 15 minutes
of why can't I, if they gained it's 15 minutes of gossip about how she
doesn't look as good. When I was growing up my mom was always one some
diet...Protein Power, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, cabbage
soup, fruit diet, etc. She never lost weight yet spent all that money, and
also nagged on me really bad. SHe left my brother alone but when I hit
puberty she was on me all the time. As a young teen, I did have a
problem,,,I wouldn't eat for days and exercised all the time. My dad even
said something to her, that he was afraid I was becoming anorexic. She has
never stopped with weight comments though...it's just something you have to
put up with around her. My husband is not that way, he's the opposite. He
says he likes me better now than when I did weight 110.

I think all this is why weight is a touchy suubject for me even now...also
it was something all my girl friends in high school shared in, they would
take diet pills, smoke, etc to keep thin. How awful! I have never been that
bad, my problem is mainly self-consciousness. and guilt. I NEVER thought it
would be an issue in pregnancy, because I didn't think people would still be
so weight focused. But, the reason I worry is 100% me...it's what *I* think
and what *I* am afraid of, and what feels bad to me.

Old November 17th 03, 09:34 PM
Sophie

"Mary" wrote in message
Sophie wrote:

It's horrible. Gaining the weight is the only thing bothering me about
having another one.

My doctor's office last time was really positive about my (quite large)
weight gain with my first... now that we've moved, I'm worried about
getting stuck with one of those "guilt trip" practitioners.

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin, 20 months
(and wishing for another)

I'll be interested to see what they say to me about *anything* considering
it's my 4th - lol. Since I'll be in Family Practice and not OB I wonder if
the attitude will be very different there about things that the OB Dept was
anal about.

Old November 17th 03, 09:36 PM
Jill

"Mary" wrote in message
Sophie wrote:

It's horrible. Gaining the weight is the only thing bothering me about
having another one.

My doctor's office last time was really positive about my (quite large)
weight gain with my first...

My doctor's office thinks I am an ok weight, but then they are nt one of
those office's that pressure you not to be overweight either..their attitude
is "everyone is so busy it's hard to stay in shape". I guess I am putting
pressure on myself.

Old November 17th 03, 11:32 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

Any comments? BTW, I am not worried anough about it to diet or anything, but
I have been worrying about it and hoping I wont gain too much weight. A 120
pound pre-pregnancy lady could weight my current weight at 9 months
pregnant- that's a sad feeling! I have also been told that it's pretty easy
for a lot of women to quickly lose the pregnancy weight afterwards
especially while breast feeding, and a lot of it is water weight...

STOP OBSESSING!!! ;-) Eat healthy foods to satisfy
your hunger and don't worry about how much you gain. Maybe
you'll end up with only a 10 pound gain, maybe you'll have
a net 25 pound gain, maybe you'll have a 40 pound gain.
Regardless of what it is, it'll be right for you if you're
eating reasonably--and it will come off just fine after
the baby's born.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old November 18th 03, 02:57 AM
Elaine

In article , Jill wrote:
I know I can't guess how much weight I will actually gain, but I am trying
to figure out what I may be able to expect...I started out a few pounds
overweight- well ok, I admit, to be thin like I was once, I'd need to lose
30-40 pounds as it is ("thin" for me is 110, I am only 5'2). I lost over 10
lbs in the first trimester.....should I expect to gain all that back and
THEN the baby weight, or will I possibly only gain 15-25 lbs from the 2nd
trimester weight which is 10 pounds down for me?

I started out overweight too, and lost weight all the way through
the first trimester. Then I lost weight in the second trimester, and
my midwife started getting realllly nervous. However, the general rule
of thumb is that if you don't gain as much as you "should" one week,
or lose weight that week - then you don't need to make it up the next
week. Average weight gain is something like .5-.75 lb per week in the
second trimester and 1lb per week in the third trimester. That gives
you around 23lb after the first trimester.

Since I was still losing weight (.5lb/week) at 18 weeks I'm supposed
to gain weight faster than the norm for a bit. I was seriously not
coping well, and I suspect that I'd feel *much* better if I could
put on another 5lb.

The only reason I worry about this is if I gain that much
weight I will feel HORRIBLE- I can already tell I felt so much worse after
gaining 30-40 pounds anyway.

Having been there - if you don't gain enough weight you will feel
worse. Remember that the baby+placenta+amnionic fluid is 15lb or so.
Then there's the increased fluid that will come off after you deliver
as well.

I figure I have no control over pregnancy weight gain as long as I eat
reasonably and don't go overboard (so far, I can barely eat so still not a
problem! But if I get to where I am hungry all the time and can eat
anything, I will not just pig out.)

I could barely eat. In my case, I'm not sure that some of it wasn't/
isn't mental blocks about gaining weight. I've lost a lot of weight
over the last few years, and it's *hard* to put it back on - even
though it isn't the same. Yeah, it manifested as nausea and lack of
hunger - but the mind can do some strange things to the body.

So now I've got minimum calorie goals. Every once in awhile I put my
food into diet analysis software and figure out how many calories I had
that day. If it's low - I track for a week. If it's fine - I go on with
my life.

I wouldn't borrow trouble. If you start gaining weight too fast, worry
about it then.

Elaine
Old December 9th 03, 12:18 AM
Char

Well, I have a similar situation to you Jill. Over the last five years, I have actually gained 35 lbs, which makes me officially overweight (not obese). I am very worried about putting on too much weight and I asked the doctor how can I only put on 15 lbs. Answer: Cut out the carbs found in bread, pasta, fruit juice, etc... I am allowed fruit but no fruit juice. I am allowed all the V8 my heart desires...lots and lots of veggies and lots and lots of LEAN protien. Of course, no desserts, or any other type of sugary sweets. In all fairness...too much weight actually puts mom in danger of gestational diabetes, an oversized baby, etc...

Old December 9th 03, 05:27 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Char wrote:

In all fairness...too much weight actually puts mom in danger

of gestational diabetes, an oversized baby, etc...

Eating sweets or gaining weight during pregnancy
does NOT cause gestational diabetes. Women who are
overweight are more likely to have gestational diabetes,
but the causality likely runs in the opposite direction.
If your metabolism is normal, eating too much while
pregnant will simply cause you to gain weight. It will
not give you gestational diabetes. And while it is
safe to gain less weight during pregnancy if you start
out overweight, I am aware of no studies whatsoever
that show that gaining more than 15 pounds is in any
way harmful to mother or baby in terms of the pregnancy
or birth. (Obviously, if you don't eventually lose
the weight, there are health risks to obesity, but
that's a different story.)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old December 9th 03, 09:09 PM
Daye

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:18:41 -0600, "Char" wrote:

In all fairness...too much weight actually puts mom in danger of gestational diabetes, an oversized baby, etc...

What a load of crap. Any evidence to support this?

I know many overweight and obese women who have gotten pregnant. None
have had GD or oversize babies. Not exactly case studies, but...

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old December 9th 03, 09:22 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Daye wrote:

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:18:41 -0600, "Char" wrote:

In all fairness...too much weight actually puts mom in danger of
gestational diabetes, an oversized baby, etc...

What a load of crap. Any evidence to support this?

I know many overweight and obese women who have gotten pregnant.
None have had GD or oversize babies. Not exactly case studies,
but...

People totally misunderstand the corollary here. It isn't that gaining
weight in itself puts you at risk for GD; that's absurd. It is theorized
that a placental abnormality is what causes GD - and when you have GD,
you tend to gain weight quickly and abnormally. This tends to make
people do the chicken or egg thing - and because there are fat-phobic
doctors out there, people get the erroneous idea that the weight gain
CAUSES the GD. Ridiculous!!

Old December 9th 03, 09:23 PM
Sophie

"Daye" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 18:18:41 -0600, "Char" wrote:

In all fairness...too much weight actually puts mom in danger of

gestational diabetes, an oversized baby, etc...

What a load of crap. Any evidence to support this?

I know many overweight and obese women who have gotten pregnant. None
have had GD or oversize babies. Not exactly case studies, but...

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
"Boy" EDD 11 Jan 2004
See Jayan: http://jayan.topcities.com/

How much - or how little - mom gains or weighs has *nothing* to do with the
baby's size.
And I know plenty of big women who have been pregnant and they did not get
GD. Actually I don't know anyone (as far as I know) who has had GD IRL.

Weight Gain Question Mickee General 4 May 6th 04 10:02 PM
My Weight loss Story Jenny General 39 April 30th 04 05:04 PM
Question about weight gain kylee General 10 December 23rd 03 07:21 PM
How much weight will fetus gain in last 7 weeks? jennifer woollett Pregnancy 7 October 6th 03 06:38 PM
Weight gain Kereru Pregnancy 8 July 29th 03 06:51 AM