Cranky pants birth story

Old June 15th 04, 11:50 AM
Alissa

Default Cranky pants birth story

C/S elective for previous c/s, arrived 7 am and met the anaesthetist...Told
him of problems with last spinal block (it took 7 attempts) he bragged about
how great he was and if he got it in he wanted a good bottle of Red...
Went up tomy room, settled in, showered and got ready for theatre...
Took him 3 goes and I told him I didn't feel numb, last time I went
completely numb for 6 hours...he did the frozen ice on my skin test to prove
my legs didn't feel the cold and even though I could move my legs a bit and
felt the catheter go in I was supposedly numb enough not to feel pain....
Yeah right, it was the foulest most painful distressing experience of my
life, I felt the cutting in but just as a scratch and felt hands prodding
about in me, ok gross but not painful at first but before long I had massive
abdominal pain I was really confused and didn't know what I was feeling. By
this time It was 1/2 over and he supposedly gave me something in my IV to
help the pain....next thing I have 4 people diving on my stomach pushing my
uterus ( I found out later cranky pants(CP) had moved while he was trying to
get him out and had gone transverse and up high and he was fishing about
trying to pull him out) Now seeing this big anaesthetist dive over my face
to push on my stomach was scary enough, I knew something wasn't right and
the pain sure wasn't right...anyway out comes CP and they hold up my head to
watch im get pulled out...Like I was interested, NOT! They took him over to
the resus bed and The nurse in me is calling out"he isn't very pink" the
midwife goes to turn the oxygen on to find the cylinder was empty, luckily
he cried abit more and pinked up, meanwhile I'm crying in pain and watching
them fuss about...the little resus bed wasn't even turned on, I had to tell
them to turn it on so he wouldn't get cold...then I get a massive chest pain
they put oxygen on me and try and calm me down, between my crushing chest
pain and abdominal cramping pain, me crying, DH looking helpless they ask me
if I want to hold my baby....You have to be kidding right? They try telling
me the chest pain is some kind of pooling effect, whatever that means and
I'd be ok it had to do with the layer they were sewing up. I couldn't
actually feel sewing, or anything as low as the scar, just from the top
retractor upwards. The Dr asks if I still want my tubes tied and I scream "
well I'm not coming back"...anyway it feels like the longest hour of my
life...off to recovery where they keep giving me fentanyl every 10 mins
without much effect, finally they give me my PCA which I'd been asking for
for the last 40mins and I start pressing it, spent an hour and 1/2 in
recovery ( not like the 20mins with DD's birth)...I go back to the ward and
they give me some indocid and finally I feel some relief...I pressed my PCA
more in the first two hours than I did the entire time with DD...
CP was about 3-4 hours old before I felt well enough to hold him, I'd given
up the idea of early feeding but his blood sugar was good at 4 hours of age
so we just waited for him to wake a few hours later and whamo....could the
little guy latch! I was in shock...the one good thing was my boy was healthy
and could feed like a champ...
the next few days were a blurr and the whole theatre experience was just
overwhelming, the pain over the next 5 days slowly improved but I was still
experiencing alot of pain. It was so different to my first c/s where I
sprang out of bed the next day and never looked back, it's only today a week
later I am feeling better, I still need help to get out of bed and can only
lay flat on my back....
A friend of mine who is a DR says that people who experience alot pain in
the first 6 hours post surgery feel more pain later and have a slower
recovery than those who don't, they have a heightened pain response so that
may explain it, he also feels they probably went one vertebrae too low and
thats why I felt such abdominal pain. Needless to say there will be no gifts
of wine.
so I have had two vastly opposite birth experiences, 1, the easy c/s and
trouble feeder and now the nightmare c/s and the best feeder...I'll never
minimise a c/s again...and luckily I never have to have one again.Most
importantly though I have two beautiful healthy children.
Alissa

Old June 15th 04, 02:34 PM
Sophie

"Alissa" wrote in message
C/S elective for previous c/s, arrived 7 am and met the

anaesthetist...Told
him of problems with last spinal block (it took 7 attempts) he bragged

about
how great he was and if he got it in he wanted a good bottle of Red...

Ohh there's a big sign. My anethesiologist was an ass and he sucked at his
job. Thata ttitude says a lot.

More reply way at the bottom -

"
[...]

Well I was going to say my *physical* recovery was fine. I didn't think the
bad c-section affected the recovery at all.

so I have had two vastly opposite birth experiences, 1, the easy c/s and
trouble feeder and now the nightmare c/s and the best feeder...I'll never
minimise a c/s again...and luckily I never have to have one again.Most
importantly though I have two beautiful healthy children.
Alissa

BTDT, sorry you had to as well

Old June 15th 04, 05:03 PM
Alissa

Well I was going to say my *physical* recovery was fine. I didn't think

the
bad c-section affected the recovery at all.

snip

I think the fact I was in so much pain this time could also have to do with
the fact 4 adults jumped on my stomach while the dr had 2 hands inside
trying to reach DS, I felt like I was kicked by a horse for almost a week,
where as with DD I only had painkillers for the first 3 days and felt pretty
normal afterwards.
Alissa

Old June 15th 04, 05:45 PM
melizabeth

Sorry about the bad experience and I hope your recovery starts moving full
speed ahead. Congrats with the awesome nurser!

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true

Old June 15th 04, 07:23 PM
Jody Pellerin

"Alissa" wrote in message ...
[...]

Congradulations on your baby's birth! The experience sounds like it
was horrible though. I hope recovery speeds up for you.
Old June 15th 04, 07:25 PM
Sandi

"Alissa" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry for the bad experience, but it sounds like you're enjoying your DS!
Thanks for posting your story!

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3 1/2

Old June 15th 04, 07:36 PM
Em

"Alissa" wrote in message
snip
Needless to say there will be no gifts
of wine.
so I have had two vastly opposite birth experiences, 1, the easy c/s

and
trouble feeder and now the nightmare c/s and the best feeder...I'll

never
minimise a c/s again...and luckily I never have to have one again.Most
importantly though I have two beautiful healthy children.

Yikes. Sounds like quite a rough experience. I hope your recovery is
better from here on. Congratulations and welcome to baby Nicholas! I'm
glad to hear that nursing is going better for you this time around--keep
up the good work!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 9 months old

Old June 15th 04, 10:41 PM
A&G&K

"Alissa" wrote in message
C/S elective for previous c/s, arrived 7 am and met the

anaesthetist...Told
him of problems with last spinal block (it took 7 attempts) he bragged

about
how great he was and if he got it in he wanted a good bottle of Red...

snip

so I have had two vastly opposite birth experiences, 1, the easy c/s and
trouble feeder and now the nightmare c/s and the best feeder...I'll never
minimise a c/s again...and luckily I never have to have one again.Most
importantly though I have two beautiful healthy children.
Alissa

(((((Alissa))))) what a horrible experience.
How wonderful that your DS is a healthy and happy little fellow and is bf
like a champ.
I hope your recovery is as quick as possible.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old June 16th 04, 08:55 AM
assileM

"Alissa" wrote in message
C/S elective for previous c/s, arrived 7 am

snipped

I'm sorry your CS experience wasn't good Alissa but congrats again on your
little Cranky Pants!

--

Melissa
Wife to 1

Old June 20th 04, 09:30 PM
Sarah Vaughan

In message , Alissa
writes
so I have had two vastly opposite birth experiences, 1, the easy c/s
and trouble feeder and now the nightmare c/s and the best feeder...I'll
never minimise a c/s again...and luckily I never have to have one
again.Most importantly though I have two beautiful healthy children.

Congratulations on that. And really sorry to hear that the birth was so
awful. Good that he's doing well after it - hope you are as well. I
know it sometimes helps to come back for further rants/unburdenings
about crappy events like this, so feel free if it will help at all. I
do hope your recovery goes smoothly!

Oh, BTW - Cranky Pants was born on my birthday, and he's got the same
birth weight as I had. (And, yes, I'm cranky too.) ;-)

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley