4 months old feeding question

Old April 17th 05, 08:59 AM
New Mommy

Default 4 months old feeding question

Hi -

My 4 mo old is being very fussy in having her formula. She has been
formula fed for a long time now and initially she used to even drink 5
oz per feeding and about 6-7 feedings a day. this was around 3 mo time.
Then she had diarrhea from rotovirus infection and she recovered about
10 days after. after this 2 weeks have passed but she is very fussy
about formula. nowadays she will drink only about 3 oz per feeding and
about 6 feeding in total.
That too sometimes we need to force her to drink. She takes soy based
formula.
Similac. We tried to switch once to milk based during the time she was
having diarrhea and when we still didnot know that she had rotovirus
and after taking milk based she vomited.
Doctor has now asked us to start solids and we started with about 1
tbspn of rice cereal and also fruits and veggies. she had about 1 tbspn
rice cereal for two days and then we tried sweet potato today and she
had 1 oz of that today.
Her fomula feeding has decreased even more now.
Since her diarrhea - she is very constipated and doctor advised us to
give her 1 oz apple juice per day. This has not helped either and not
sure if constipation is the reason for her not drinking enough.
Also she seems to have some stuffy nose(little cold).
Please advise.
Thanks much in advance.

Old April 17th 05, 10:13 AM
Cat

New Mommy wrote:
[...]

I think you should find another group - this group deals with Breast
Feeding.

A lot wouldn't recommend solids (= non breastmilk/formula) before the
age of 6 months.

Breast feeding could have protected her against the virus. It isn't a
sure thing, though.

If she has 6-8 wet diapers a day she's probably getting enough fluids.

18 oz a day sounds like too little, though. A a rule of thumb 1/6 or 1/7
of her body weight each day so it should be more like the double.

But again, this group mostly knows about breastfeeding....

Tine, Denmark
Old April 17th 05, 10:19 AM

Cat wrote:

A lot wouldn't recommend solids (= non breastmilk/formula) before the

age of 6 months.

Any reasons why? I have a 4 month old as well and we are starting to
introduce solids.

Tine, Denmark

Thanks in Advance.

Regards...

Old April 17th 05, 10:30 AM
Chookie

In article .com,
"New Mommy" wrote:

Firstly, I suggest you find an up-to-date doctor -- the WHO has said for some
years now that the time to start solids is 6 months, and I know that the UK,
Australia and the USA now also have that as official policy.

If it is only two weeks since the rotavirus infection, she might still not
feel totally well. This is a bad time to be introducing anything new, and it
is usually not a good idea to force-feed a child at any time, unless there is
some huge medical problem.

It is hardly surprising she is constipated after being fed rice cereal -- it
is notorious for that. Instead of adding more new foods, I would be backing
off until she has completely recovered from her virus.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old April 17th 05, 01:26 PM
Sue

"Cat" wrote in message
I think you should find another group - this group deals with Breast
Feeding.

She crossposted this to misc.kids and misc.kids.pregnancy. She is probably
new at Usenet and didn't know that one must never talk about formula on a
breastfeeding newsgroup.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 17th 05, 01:39 PM
Sue

"New Mommy" wrote in message
Then she had diarrhea from rotovirus infection and she recovered about
10 days after. after this 2 weeks have passed but she is very fussy
about formula.

She might not be totally well from her virus. Sometimes it does take a
little while for the stomach to feel better.

Doctor has now asked us to start solids and we started with about 1
tbspn of rice cereal and also fruits and veggies. she had about 1 tbspn
rice cereal for two days and then we tried sweet potato today and she
had 1 oz of that today. Since her diarrhea - she is very constipated and

doctor advised us to give her 1 oz apple juice per day. This has not helped
either and not
sure if constipation is the reason for her not drinking enough.
Also she seems to have some stuffy nose(little cold).

Rice cereal is very constipating. And as far as the solids is concerned, it
has been recommended from pediatricians that solids not be started until six
months. It also seems you are moving too fast in introducing solids. Her
digestive system is still really immature and since she is getting over an
intestinal virus and now starting a new cold, personally I would stop the
solids and resume the formula. She really does need to be taking in more
formula at this point than the solids. Also there are som allergy concerns
in some of the solids, so you might want to read about those to make sure
you don't give some foods too early. You shouldn't be giving juice at this
point either. There is not a whole lot of nutrition in it for a baby. Stop
the solids and resume the formula. She might be getting congested in her
nose, if she is getting a cold. This may be why she is fussy at drinking.
Use the blue bulb to suction her nose out or go sit in the bathroom with the
hot shower on to help her breath better. Also keep her reclined in an upward
position when she is sleeping.

Please advise.
Thanks much in advance.

Also regarding the groups you entered when asking this question, it's best
to not cross-post, especially to a breastfeeding newsgroup. They get twitchy
when formula is mentioned. If you want parenting advice, stick to misc.kids
and if you would like a more moderated group, come to misc.kids.family-life.
Good luck and welcome to the newsgroups. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old April 17th 05, 02:04 PM
Stormlady

The experts are now saying not till 6 months, I know Health Canada, or the
CPP, or whatever has recently changed their guidelines from 4-6 months to 6
months minimum before statring solids. Stinky is almost 6 months and no
solids yet.

oups.com...

Old April 17th 05, 02:05 PM
Stormlady

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article .com,
"New Mommy" wrote:

Firstly, I suggest you find an up-to-date doctor -- the WHO has said for

some
years now that the time to start solids is 6 months, and I know that the

UK,
Australia and the USA now also have that as official policy.

And Canada too

Old April 17th 05, 02:42 PM
Rosalie B.

Note to Tine -Two of the groups that she posted to don't have to do
with bf. At one point there was an attempt to start a formula feeding
group - I don't know what came of that.

Cat wrote:
New Mommy wrote:

My 4 mo old is being very fussy in having her formula. She has been
formula fed for a long time now and initially she used to even drink 5

When you said she was ff for a long time, I had to look and see how
old she was again. 4 months may seem like a long time to you, but
when you look back on it, it will seem to go by in a flash g

oz per feeding and about 6-7 feedings a day. this was around 3 mo time.
Then she had diarrhea from rotovirus infection and she recovered about
10 days after. after this 2 weeks have passed but she is very fussy
about formula. nowadays she will drink only about 3 oz per feeding and
about 6 feeding in total.

Babies periodically adjust the amount of nutrition that they will
take. And I suspect she is still not feeling quite the thing.

That too sometimes we need to force her to drink. She takes soy based
formula.

I didn't know that you COULD force a child to drink. How do you do
that?

If you mean that it takes her longer, and she seems to play and not be
as focused on feeding, that's pretty normal at this age. They
sometimes do like to play and smile once they get the initial edge of
their hunger taken off.

Also it is possible that she is teething and that the sucking makes
her gums tingle and so she stops.

Similac. We tried to switch once to milk based during the time she was
having diarrhea and when we still didnot know that she had rotovirus
and after taking milk based she vomited.

I'm not sure that wasn't also caused by the virus.

Doctor has now asked us to start solids and we started with about 1
tbspn of rice cereal and also fruits and veggies. she had about 1 tbspn
rice cereal for two days and then we tried sweet potato today and she
had 1 oz of that today.

It is not normally done nowadays to give food until the baby is 6
months. If she is interested in eating and doesn't have the tongue
thrust reaction, there is no real harm in it but it isn't necessary.
[Mine were all given solids from an early age as that was what people
did then - so your doctor appears to be a bit behind the times unless
he has some other reason for doing it.]

Her fomula feeding has decreased even more now.
Since her diarrhea - she is very constipated and doctor advised us to
give her 1 oz apple juice per day. This has not helped either and not
sure if constipation is the reason for her not drinking enough.

I don't think the constipation is the reason for that, but maybe the
solid food IS. I did not give but one thing at a time, and would give
it for 3 or 4 days to see if there was a reaction. If she will
drink non-formula stuff, I would give her some water or something like
that to be sure she is kept hydrated. IIRC, and increase in fluid
will help with constipation.

Also she seems to have some stuffy nose(little cold).
Please advise.
Thanks much in advance.

OH - a cold will definitely reduce the amount that she drinks. It's
really hard to eat with your mouth shut if you can't breathe.

I think you should find another group - this group deals with Breast
Feeding.

A lot wouldn't recommend solids (= non breastmilk/formula) before the
age of 6 months.

Breast feeding could have protected her against the virus. It isn't a
sure thing, though.

No need to even say that.

If she has 6-8 wet diapers a day she's probably getting enough fluids.

18 oz a day sounds like too little, though. A a rule of thumb 1/6 or 1/7
of her body weight each day so it should be more like the double.

But again, this group mostly knows about breastfeeding....

Tine, Denmark

grandma Rosalie