Contraction Timer?

Old April 19th 04, 06:59 PM
Chaneski

Default Contraction Timer?

hi,

My wife is due... well, any day now... and while I feel perfectly confident to
time her contractions with my wris****ch, I wonder if there isn't something
better out there. I had an idea for a timer that would log the length of, say,
10 contractions in a row, so that I could measure progress. I figured they
must be out there already, but a google search has been fruitless. (Lots of
pages about "first-timers" and their pregnancies.

I DID find available software for PDAs that does exactly what I want. But I
don't have a PDA. I'm pretty sure I've even seen a timer like the one I'm
looking for on TLC's "A Birthing Story", but it was only a partial view and
they didn't mention the timer at all.

Does anyone know where I can find a birthing timer? Does anyone know how I can
interest Texas Instruments in making a birthing timer and cutting me in for the
profits?

thanks for your help,
John C.
Old April 19th 04, 07:13 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Chaneski wrote:

hi,

My wife is due... well, any day now... and while I feel perfectly confident to
time her contractions with my wris****ch, I wonder if there isn't something
better out there. I had an idea for a timer that would log the length of, say,
10 contractions in a row, so that I could measure progress. I figured they
must be out there already, but a google search has been fruitless. (Lots of
pages about "first-timers" and their pregnancies.

I DID find available software for PDAs that does exactly what I want. But I
don't have a PDA.

Whoops, I was going to suggest that until I got to this
sentence :-/

I don't know of any other times such as you described,
but I will offer up another suggestion: be prepared for the
possibility that it will be neither necessary nor desirable
to time the contractions too closely ;-) I probably would
have choked my husband if he were hanging around timing me,
though I'll admit I'm more hands off than some while in labor.
After three births, I've never done anything more than idly
glance at the clock on occasion, and my husband hasn't timed
anything ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 19th 04, 08:07 PM
Welches

Chaneski wrote in message
hi,

My wife is due... well, any day now... and while I feel perfectly

confident to
time her contractions with my wris****ch, I wonder if there isn't

something
better out there. I had an idea for a timer that would log the length of,

say,
10 contractions in a row, so that I could measure progress. I figured

they
must be out there already, but a google search has been fruitless. (Lots

of
pages about "first-timers" and their pregnancies.

Believe me: The last thing your wife wants to hear when she's in labour is
"hang on a minute while I time the next ten contractions". Measuring
progress may have its place but you may also find the emotional support for
your wife is much more helpful. It's not a scientific exercise!

I DID find available software for PDAs that does exactly what I want. But

don't have a PDA. I'm pretty sure I've even seen a timer like the one I'm
looking for on TLC's "A Birthing Story", but it was only a partial view

and
they didn't mention the timer at all.

Does anyone know where I can find a birthing timer? Does anyone know how

I can
interest Texas Instruments in making a birthing timer and cutting me in

for the
profits?

I'm sure there will be a few people out there with too much money to spend
that might buy one-along with the baby wipe warmer I've heard about.
Debbie

Old April 19th 04, 09:13 PM
Jill

"Welches" wrote I'm sure there will be
a few people out there with too much money to spend
that might buy one-along with the baby wipe warmer I've heard about.
Debbie

That's subjective though, you know? I don't have a wipes warmer but I have
things that are just as unnecessary, such as a bottle warmer. I bought that
so that when I start pumping and feeding EBM later, people won't be
microwaving the milk. (destroys nutrients whereas bottle warmer is not
supposed to...I hope...), but it's unnecessary when you can just use warm
water from the sink. Contraction timer seems completely a waste to me when
you can just use a watch. Baby wipes warmer boggles the mind...it's not like
those things are frigid!

Old April 19th 04, 09:35 PM
toypup

"Chaneski" wrote in message
[...]

I had the PDA software, because I had preterm labor and I wanted to see how
the contractions were progressing so I would know if I needed to go in.
They always ask how many I'm having and how long they were lasting and I
never liked having to right it down nor was I good at keeping mental track,
but I would have strangled DH if he were to use it on me. It was
aggravating enough when he saw me punching the PDA and asked if I was having
a contraction. You would be asking your wife every few minutes if she was
having a contraction and when it was over and she would probably not want to
answer you.

Old April 19th 04, 09:41 PM
Nikki

Jill wrote:

Baby
wipes warmer boggles the mind...it's not like those things are frigid!

They were in my house. Brrr. I didn't have one with #1 and the neighbor
gave me one with #2. I think it is the best invention ever!! :-) Luke
loved it to. He never complained with a warm wipe but bring out a cold
one - *wahhhh*. It'll be one of the first things on my list if I ever have
a #3, lol.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (3)

Old April 20th 04, 03:56 PM
Jill

"Nikki" wrote
He never complained with a warm wipe but bring out a cold
one - *wahhhh*. It'll be one of the first things on my list if I ever

have
a #3, lol.

Hmmm. Well, I'll keep this in mind if my baby gets fussy during changes,
lol. You never know. I would try about anything to keep her from waking up
during every change.

Old April 20th 04, 07:20 PM
Carla

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:41:09 -0500, "Nikki" wrote:

Jill wrote:

Baby
wipes warmer boggles the mind...it's not like those things are frigid!

They were in my house. Brrr. I didn't have one with #1 and the neighbor
gave me one with #2. I think it is the best invention ever!! :-) Luke
loved it to. He never complained with a warm wipe but bring out a cold
one - *wahhhh*. It'll be one of the first things on my list if I ever have
a #3, lol.

My MIL bought us one and I did think it was silly when I first heard
about it but have heard from so many others how nice they are to have
and how much baby likes it (or rather prefers it to a cold one)

Carla
#1 EDD 5/14/04
Old April 20th 04, 08:22 PM
Nikki

Richard wrote:
We bought and used a small
electric space heater when we changed her, and changing time became
playtime with great interaction.

Oh yes. We fired up the space heater during bath time. The bathroom was
really warm but both my babies really enjoyed their baths...as long as it
was super warm :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (3)

Old April 20th 04, 09:05 PM
Carla

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:22:30 -0500, "Nikki" wrote:

Richard wrote:
We bought and used a small
electric space heater when we changed her, and changing time became
playtime with great interaction.

Oh yes. We fired up the space heater during bath time. The bathroom was
really warm but both my babies really enjoyed their baths...as long as it
was super warm :-)

I was actually thinking of doing this at bath time when my little guy
gets here but I hadn't mentioned to anyone because I thought they
might think it was silly or something...I'm glad to know that there
are others that actually do it & that it WORKS!

Carla
#1 EDD 5/14/04

3yo avoiding potty training Robyn Kozierok General (moderated) 31 April 20th 04 04:41 AM
Braxton-Hicks contraction when I am asleep? [email protected] Pregnancy 2 October 16th 03 03:47 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
My Waterbirth Amy M. Pregnancy 4 August 25th 03 11:29 AM
First Timer Dad2B Pregnancy 1 July 14th 03 08:47 PM