Motion Costs

Old September 16th 04, 12:28 PM
Peter

Default Motion Costs

If I file a family law motion and we settled prior to going to trial/judge,
does my ex still have to pay my lawyer fees (e.g. the cost of filing and
making the motion)?

Basically I feel that my ex is 'making' me file motions (to enforce custody
agreements) to drive up my costs, and then she will settle and I will be
stuck with a $500-$1000 lawyer bill.

Peter
Old September 22nd 04, 09:47 AM
Father Drew

If it makes you feel any better, I spent over $60,000 on attorney fees. I
realize that $500-$1,000 is a good chunk of change, but if you can settle, I
personally would write it off.

Reason one being that the money may get in the way of your agreements over
your child, and that is rare to reach an agreement when it comes to the kids
in most cases. Reason two being that you were not required to hire an
attorney. You could have represented yourself.

I am sure your situation was still difficult, and will still be a black mark
in your history, but I would loved to have traded spots with you. Don't
think of it as $1,000 lost, think of it as $59,000 gained.

That aside, it's fairly common to request attorney fees in court, especially
if the other side is abusing the process. I would just warn you that it
might have an affect on any amicable agreements the two of you made on a
personal level, and the money isn't worth it.

Good Luck.

-FD