Advice needed ASAP -- not feeling quite right

Old May 22nd 06, 03:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Advice needed ASAP -- not feeling quite right

I have a call in to my OB, but they often take hours to respond. I'm
hoping someone out here can help me.

I do not feel quite right today. I'm quite dizzy and light-headed,
kind of like I've had way too much to drink (have to concentrate really
hard on just one thing, "fuzzy" hearing, in addition to general
unpleasant wooziness). I also am having some weird vision issues -- I
can focus in on one thing, but then there are spots that I can't see,
as if I had been looking at something bright and still have those black
spots in my vision. Plus, I have a really bad headache.

I called the EMTs in the health department, and one came and took my BP
-- it was a bit high for me (110/88, compared to the 100/60 I've had
throughout pregnancy) but not that high. Plus, I'm not swelling
tremendously, so I didn't think this could be preeclampsia.

What could be wrong, and how urgent is it, if at all? I haven't been
sick & I've been drinking fluids and eating fine. I don't know whether
this is the time to call DH and get me to the ER, or if I should just
wait for my OB to call back.

Please advise ASAP. Thanks. Oh, and I'm just about 39 weeks.

-Carlye

DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 22nd 06, 03:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Go in to your clinic or hospital to be seen right away.
The normal BP is reassuring but pre-eclampsia can present in different
ways, with different symptoms developing first.
There is no downside to getting evaluated. There are potential
downsides to sitting at home and not getting evaluated.
This is an easy decision. Go in, get seen.

Old May 22nd 06, 03:43 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"carlye" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Sounds like you have migraine with aura to me. If so, it's not going to be
harmful, although it's very painful. Do you get migraines usually? I've only
twice had them with aura and it's pretty frightening. It is something that
can occur during pregnancy even if you don't usually get it too.
But, it could be something worse, so I suggest getting yourself checked
asap. I would get your dh to take you in, as it could (if unlikely) be
something that needs seeing to quickly. No dr. is going to mind seeing you
with those symptoms.
Debbie

Old May 22nd 06, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

alath wrote:
Go in to your clinic or hospital to be seen right away.

I called again and they are fitting me in this morning. Thanks for the
advice.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 22nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:
alath wrote:
Go in to your clinic or hospital to be seen right away.

I called again and they are fitting me in this morning. Thanks for the
advice.

Wonderful! I'll have my fingers crossed for you.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 22nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Well, I guess Debbie gets the award for diagnosis via newsgroup... I
saw my doctor, and he said it is just a migraine.

I am definitely glad it isn't something that is "dangerous," but I sure
wish I was feeling better. These last couple weeks I have been in so
much pain and been so completely depressed and emotional, especially
during the week when I have to work. Feeling like I'm losing my mind
and sight from a migraine isn't helping, even though I know it's better
than facing a diagnosis of toxemia or preeclampsia. *sigh*

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I'm going to bed now.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS EDD 6-2-06

Old May 22nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:
Welches wrote:
Sounds like you have migraine with aura to me. If so, it's not going
to be harmful, although it's very painful. Do you get migraines
usually?

I hadn't heard of "migraine with aura" before, though I did consider
that this could be a migraine. I get migraines rarely, but I have had
them, including at the very beginning of this pregnancy. I've never
had one that made me feel so "off," though -- usually I just have pain
and light/sound sensitivity.

But, DH is on his way to take me to the OB... guess I'll find out
soon. Thanks for the advice.

See now, I ONLY get migraines with auras. I get the aura about 20 minutes
before the migraine. It starts with a small spot in my vision, similar to
what you described. The edges of the spot slowly vibrate and the spot grows
larger. When the spot is big enough, I can see through the center of it,
but I can't see where the vibrating edges are. It's sort of like the wavy
lines that show up on TV shows when they do flashbacks...a la Waynes World,
LOL. During the aura, I can't read well, I can't see to watch TV or read a
magazine or work on the computer. If I'm driving, I need to pull over until
it passes. During this time I usually can't speak or type well -- I can't
find the words that I need. Once time I was talking to my mom, and I kept
trying to say microwave, and I kept saying magazine! Once the spot is large
enough to completely leave my field of vision (usually takes about 10-15
minutes), I usually have a time where I feel normal, like the eye of the
storm, before the migraine actually hits. If I take meds (even Excedrin
Migraine) during the first part of the aura, I can stave off the migraine.
I've had a few instances, even without meds, where the actual migraine never
came, just the aura.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old May 22nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Jamie Clark wrote:
carlye wrote:

Welches wrote:

[...]

I have this exact progression when I get a migraine....in fact the aura
is great because it give me about 1/2 hour to start pumping meds into my
system - I end up with a mild headache instead of a blazing migraine.

cara

Old May 23rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:

I am definitely glad it isn't something that is "dangerous," but I sure
wish I was feeling better. These last couple weeks I have been in so
much pain and been so completely depressed and emotional, especially
during the week when I have to work. Feeling like I'm losing my mind
and sight from a migraine isn't helping, even though I know it's better
than facing a diagnosis of toxemia or preeclampsia. *sigh*

I hate to say this because I know exactly how much migraines suck, but
yay for no PE. :-)

Since I was serving jury duty yesterday I missed your post, but here's
a link to a very recent discussion on the PE forums about the
biological mechanisms involved and a link to a more sciency-medical
blog discussion of it, if anyone's still interested:

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/to...TOPIC_ID=16607

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/c..._preeclampsia/

--
C, mama to three year old nursling