Breastfeeding and Mastitis

Old May 8th 06, 11:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Breastfeeding and Mastitis

Mastitis is perhaps the most distressing problem you may encounter when
attempting to breastfeed. You have been making it through the sleepless
nights, the relentless feeding schedule, the diapers, the leaking...
when all of a sudden you want to stop breastfeeding. Why?

Mastitis is the answer. One of your breasts is engorged. There is a
slightly red patch which is painful to touch. When the baby feeds it's
extremely uncomfortable. After the feed your breast feels sore. You
dread the next feed... and then you begin shivering. You think you have
the flu. You have hot and cold sweats. You have a thumping headache. You
retire to your bed and feel utterly miserable. Visitors encourage you to
give the baby a bottle so you feel like you've failed... but there is a
solution.

In most cases mastitis affects only one breast at a time. So what
causes it? Most often a new mum, whether or not she has previously
breastfed, will suffer mastitis as a result of incorrect positioning or
latching on of the baby. Consequently the milk is not properly drained
from the breast and a milk duct becomes blocked. Other reasons include
skipping feeds because you don't want to feed in public or in front of
visitors, or the baby is sleeping and you do not want to disturb him.

If you recognise the sensation of a blocked milk duct you may be able
to avoid it progressing into mastitis by gently massaging your breast
in the bath or shower. Massage downwards towards the nipple. You may
feel a small lump which disappears as the duct becomes unblocked. You
can also try feeding the baby more often and again massaging the sore
area towards the nipple as the baby drinks. Another effective technique
is to try expressing milk with the aid of an electric or hand pump.
However, if all your efforts are in vain and the duct does not unblock
mastitis will often follow. Mastitis is simply when the blocked duct
becomes inflamed and possibly infected.

Current medical advice is to continue feeding from the affected breast
even if it is infected. The infection will not harm the baby. However,
the last thing you may want to do is to feed from the affected side at
all as it is so painful. This will only make things worse and you may
end up with an abscess. If this happens you will need to have the
abscess drained by a doctor.

If you are worried about your baby drinking milk from the affected
breast a good alternative is to express and dispose of the milk and to
feed only from the unaffected side. Your body will adapt. It will
continue to supply enough milk for your baby from the unaffected
breast. And as long as you express regularly from the affected breast
the milk supply will be maintained. You produce breastmilk on a supply
and demand basis so there will always be enough. When the infection
clears up you can simply return to your usual feeding pattern.

If you do get mastitis and it does not clear up within a few hours you
will probably require an antibiotic so speak to your GP. Make sure to
tell him you are breastfeeding so a suitable antibiotic can be
prescribed.

To avoid a recurrence make sure you position the baby properly. Ensure
he is not sucking on just the nipple but that he has a good mouthful of
the areola also. Try to sit upright or if lying down do not lie on the
breast. Make sure the baby is tummy-to-tummy with you, his nose and
mouth facing the breast and that he is not creating a blockage with his
chin or a hand or arms.

Mastitis usually clears up completely within a couple of days so put it
in perspective. Don't give up breastfeeding because you have mastitis.
Instead ensure you don't get it again; position your baby correctly,
feed on demand and avoid skipping breastfeeds.

Sinead Hoben is the proud mother of three beautiful breastfed children.
A former English teacher she now runs her own website,
http://www.breastfeedingmums.com which promotes breastfeeding and
offers breastfeeding support and practical advice for mums. Email
or visit http://www.breastfeedingmums.com
for further information about breastfeeding.

--
sineadhoben

Old May 10th 06, 12:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sineadhoben wrote:

Sinead Hoben is the proud mother of three beautiful breastfed children.
A former English teacher she now runs her own website,

You'd think a former English teacher would know better than to commit
plagiarism.

Michelle
Flutist
Old May 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Michelle,

You have publicly accused me of plagiarism. I have never plagiarised
anything in my life and the article to which you responded,
Breastfeeding and Mastitis, is based upon my own personal experience.
It reflects the advice I received from my own local breastfeeding
group. This is original material. All of my articles are original and I
take your allegation very seriously. Your accusation is slanderous and
I will be seeking legal advice if you do not retract your comments
immediately.

Sinead Hoben, http://www.breastfeedingmums.com

Old May 12th 06, 01:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hate to say it but she belongs to the forum that reposts Usenet and is not
the one running it. The one running it is called Claire. The one Sinead
seems to be running is breastfeedingmums.com and the forum on that site has
about 3 original posts and 4 members and no reposts. While she is posting
via the forum that is cheesing off so many here, I'm not 100% sure that she
is responsible for that particular "forum". Notice that she posts VIA
newmums, while advertising breastfeedingmums in her sig.

While I'm not happy about the reposting sites, I don't think we should be
attacking everyone who posts using the site. The owner and webmaster is to
blame not the users.

"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message
sineadhoben wrote:
Michelle,

You have publicly accused me of plagiarism. I have never plagiarised
anything in my life and the article to which you responded,
Breastfeeding and Mastitis, is based upon my own personal experience.
It reflects the advice I received from my own local breastfeeding
group. This is original material. All of my articles are original and I
take your allegation very seriously. Your accusation is slanderous and
I will be seeking legal advice if you do not retract your comments
immediately.

Sinead Hoben, http://www.breastfeedingmums.com

You're part of the site taking posts off of the Usenet group and posting
them on this website, right? You seem to be, since your advertising for it
in every post you make. Stealing posts and presenting them as belonging
to your site is fine with you?

Seek legal advice, let me know what they say.

Michelle
Flutist

Old May 12th 06, 01:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Engram wrote:
Hate to say it but she belongs to the forum that reposts Usenet and is not
the one running it. The one running it is called Claire. The one Sinead
seems to be running is breastfeedingmums.com and the forum on that site has
about 3 original posts and 4 members and no reposts. While she is posting
via the forum that is cheesing off so many here, I'm not 100% sure that she
is responsible for that particular "forum". Notice that she posts VIA
newmums, while advertising breastfeedingmums in her sig.

While I'm not happy about the reposting sites, I don't think we should be
attacking everyone who posts using the site. The owner and webmaster is to
blame not the users.

I suppose IME people don't usually advertise websites they aren't
affiliated with in some way. If she's not, then she's not at fault
and I retract the statement. No doubt if I just killfiled everyone
affiliated it would be easier.

Michelle
Flutist
Old May 12th 06, 02:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

When I use yahoo mail, Yahoo attaches the words "use yahoo mail" to my
messages. Doesn't mean I'm in any way affiliated with them. I simply use
their service. I have no choice about the attachment, it doesn't appear
until after I've sent my mail. The person at fault is the site owner who
designed it that way. I don't want to advertise yahoo mail - the site just
attaches it's additional sig to my messages. Ditto hotmail. This is
obviously what newmumsforum is doing. Killfile them if you want to but IME
such a sig is not a sign of affiliation but simply of someone who uses a
particular service and may not be aware at the time they are writing a
message that such advertising will appear in their message.

I'm not defending that "forum" here. I don't like it, either. I'm just being
cautious about jumping all over people who may be unaware of what the
service they signed up for is doing.

Old May 12th 06, 10:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Michelle,

Thank you for retracting your claim and your apology.

I am not affiliated with newmomsforum.com other than being a registered
user. I simply submitted an original article to the site.

I strongly recommend you consult the following link regarding libel
laws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1183394#1

I am not affiliated with bbc.co.uk.

Sinead

Old May 12th 06, 11:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sineadhoben wrote:

I strongly recommend you consult the following link regarding libel
laws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1183394#1

I recommend you consult the following link regarding libel laws IN THE
US because the UK isn't the center of the universe any more than the
US is, and UK law doesn't apply to me.

http://www.eff.org/bloggers/lg/faq-defamation.php

Particularly this point:

Not-libelous:

* Calling a political foe a "thief" and "liar" in chance
encounter (because hyperbole in context)

How do courts look at the context of a statement?

For a blog, a court would likely start with the general tenor,
setting, and format of the blog, as well as the context of the links
through which the user accessed the particular entry. Next the court
would look at the specific context and content of the blog entry,
analyzing the extent of figurative or hyperbolic language used and the
reasonable expectations of the blog's audience.

Michelle
Flutist
Old May 12th 06, 01:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

sineadhoben wrote:
Michelle,

Thank you for retracting your claim and your apology.

I am not affiliated with newmomsforum.com other than being a
registered user. I simply submitted an original article to the site.

We didn't. And yet our posts are turning up there, and the responses from
your site are turning up on Usenet.