Question for religious parents

Old February 21st 06, 09:14 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Question for religious parents

Evanston, IL where my kids grew up has churches all over the town,
but that doesn't mean that everyone in the town is religious.

I don't think she meant that everyone in her area is religious, just
the overwhelming majority are. Churches are a supply and demand kind of
thing, like businesses.

Old February 21st 06, 09:17 PM posted to misc.kids

Barbara writes:

Well, when I describe an experience and someone says that doesn't
happen, they're calling me a liar.

That's not what happened. I described a hypothetical situation (an atheist
hairdresser checking that the client isn't religious before proceeding to
cut hair), and said that didn't happen, *in my experience*. You said I was
dismissing your experiences as a complete lie, and gave some situations,
different in important respects from the one I'd described, which you said
had happened, in your experience.

Since this is the second time in one thread where you've misinterpreted two
different posters' writing as being insulting, I suggest you practise
rereading articles before you react to them.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old February 21st 06, 10:04 PM posted to misc.kids

Barbara Bomberger wrote:
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 04:02:26 GMT, dragonlady
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

I remember that. I think most of it was the parents' doing. They
encouraged it, but only of their sons. The girl was not allowed to do it
because it was the boys' job. Their DD just stood behind the boys and
handed out leaflets. They had the poor kids on the talk shows, using

.language I doubt most kids understood.

Seriously? Geeze, that girl is going to have issues left and right for
the rest of her life.

As will her brothers.

Anyone from the south carolina coastal area or maybe even savannah may
remember the big hullaballo about ten to fifteen years ago in the
resort town of Beaufort (SC not north). They had truly unbelievable
man stand at on the streetcorner of the old town on sundays and hurl
words at the tourists and Sunday afternoon walkers. He included a
couple of his kids. There was a court case, I dont know how it was
resolved

I do remember that - some street preachers were arrested under a noise
ordinance.

The only thing I found had to do with the initial federal court case;
the federal district court issued a preliminary injunction in favor of
the street preachers, and the 4th Circuit overturned it. If I
understood the appeals court correctly though, this was just on the
merits of the preliminary injunction.

http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/952956.P.pdf

Clisby
Old February 22nd 06, 01:47 AM posted to misc.kids

Marie wrote:

I actually have never heard any atheist irl say negative things to a
Christian.

When I was in college, I was sitting down in the music department
lounge, and my Bible was sitting next to me, and I was working on my
music theory homework. One of the graduate students comes in, sits
down, and picks up my Bible from the couch and says, "'The New
American Bible for Catholics.' You realize the only reason you still
believe this crap is because you haven't learned how the world works
yet? Do you know all the horrible things the Catholic Church has done
throughout history? No one with any brains or morals would choose to
be part of that organization."

Michelle
Flutist
Old February 22nd 06, 01:56 AM posted to misc.kids

When I was in college, I was sitting down in the music department
lounge, and my Bible was sitting next to me, and I was working on my
music theory homework. One of the graduate students comes in, sits
down, and picks up my Bible from the couch and says, "'The New
American Bible for Catholics.' You realize the only reason you still
believe this crap is because you haven't learned how the world works
yet? Do you know all the horrible things the Catholic Church has done
throughout history? No one with any brains or morals would choose to
be part of that organization."

That was completely rude and uncalled for, I'm sorry that happened to
you.

I've been discriminated against for being a religious person and for
not being a religious person. It sucks both ways.

It happens more now, but like I said, it might be my area.

But I will say this, I had a lot more rude judgemental thoughts when I
was religious than I do now and I felt free to express them back then.
It could be that I'm more mature now...who knows.

Old February 22nd 06, 03:30 AM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
"hedgehog42" wrote:

Yes, some parents might see it as a threat to their religious
practices. But I think it's better to let the invitee/parents decide
whether to accept rather than to categorically dismiss that person as a
participant, since you don't know how each individual family will react
until you ask.

I think thats where I'd come down on this one -- by the time someone is
a teenager, certainly, I'd leave it up to the teen and his or her
family. As teens, my kids regularly invited friends to youth group
things -- kids of all and no faiths. Some accept, some do not, but no
one was ever put out by receiving the invitation.

My own kids were friends with a number of Mormon kids (about as far from
Unitarian Universalist as you can get, theologically.) They really
enjoyed learning about each others' faiths, and, in at least one case,
the two girls invited each other to attend services in each others'
churches. This particular Mormon family encouraged their kids to learn
about other faiths, and it worked out well.

Old February 22nd 06, 04:58 AM posted to misc.kids

"hedgehog42" wrote in message
oups.com...
accused of "poaching." The stated purpose of our youth groups, though,
is not to grow our membership; it's to give youths a safe place to
meet, take part in fun activities and grow friendships to help support
their healthy growth in a culture that sometimes seems almost designed
to encourage them to self destruct.
There are some faith communities that just don't have enough youth, or
resources, to run any kind of program for them, and I think this fills
that need. In the small town where I grew up, my church even teamed up
with another faith community to get a large enough number to run a
program.

I enjoy these types of programs. My town has a "club", for after-school
teens to go to. It is run by a church, but is not for any certain religion.
There are tutors and homework helpers, games, and I don't know what else
because I haven't gotten involved in it yet. I plan to be involved when my
own girls are old enough for it, if it's still around. All of these places
have failed after a few months though.
Marie

Old February 22nd 06, 05:23 AM posted to misc.kids

enigma wrote:

there's a house in Epping NH that's painted bright orange
with purple polka dots on the front (the whole huge Victorian
is orange). i suspect a neighbor feud
lee
--

There's one in San Francisco that's painted with an enormous tiger in a
bamboo forest.

I believe the person who lives there is a muralist.

DB