1st trimester - can people really sense when someone is pregnant? help!

Old October 5th 03, 03:10 PM
Abi

Default 1st trimester - can people really sense when someone is pregnant? help!

Hi,

None of the manuals, books or poeple I have spoke to have said
anything about the fact it seems apparently easy to tell if a woman is
pregnant as early as 6 weeks just by looking at her or by sensing it.
I had intended on keeping my pregnancy a secret until the end of the
1st trimester (which is where I am now), but whenever I tell friends
or family they claim they `already knew'. I ask them what they mean
(as they could not have possibly found out through anyone else as
hardly anyone knows), and they say `well, you just seemed to be
pregnant'(this was someone who hadn't seen me for 3 months) or `I
could tell you were pregnant from the moment I first saw you' (this
was someone who hadn't seen me for 6 months). Even the doctor knew
why i had come to see him for my first appointment - there was no way
he could have possibly known via any other means as I did not tell the
receptionist the reason for my being there. Other people claim that
they can spot pregnant women straight away as they have a certain
`look about them'..
Even my dad said he knew this women was pregnant at work before she
had told anyone because he noticed her `back had got wider'.

Will someone please enlighten me? Are people really able to detect
this or are they just pretending they `knew all along'? Let me just
say that I haven't put on any weight yet either...so how the hell can
they tell!?

I would like some advice on this as I certainly dont want my employer
to know until the last possible moment (say in a month or so). But I
would be embarassed if they could also detect my situation aswell and
were just keeping quiet. Please advise!
Old October 5th 03, 03:39 PM
Nina

"Abi" wrote

Will someone please enlighten me? Are people really able to detect
this or are they just pretending they `knew all along'? Let me just
say that I haven't put on any weight yet either...so how the hell can
they tell!?

I would like some advice on this as I certainly dont want my employer
to know until the last possible moment (say in a month or so). But I
would be embarassed if they could also detect my situation aswell and
were just keeping quiet.

If they knew and were quiet about it, no need to worry.

SOmetimes you do look flushed or fuller when pregnant. But there are no
SIGNS that scream "Im pregnant". Dont worry about it.

Old October 5th 03, 04:10 PM
toypup

"Abi" wrote in message
om...
Will someone please enlighten me? Are people really able to detect
this or are they just pretending they `knew all along'? Let me just
say that I haven't put on any weight yet either...so how the hell can
they tell!?

I would like some advice on this as I certainly dont want my employer
to know until the last possible moment (say in a month or so). But I
would be embarassed if they could also detect my situation aswell and
were just keeping quiet. Please advise!

My MIL says she knew both times I was pg. The last time, I saw her 11 dpo
and she said she knew. We had only found out a day earlier. We didn't tell
her or anyone else until I was in or nearly in the second trimester. The
first time, she said I looked pg, the second time, she said I was so tired.
My employer said he suspected because I looked pale. Basically, everyone
always knows before I tell them. Don't worry about being embarrassed if
people already know. I'm sure they know you didn't know they knew. It must
make them feel good that they are in on a secret before the secret's out
anyway, so don't worry.

Old October 5th 03, 04:22 PM
Sophie

Hhmm, I don't buy it. I've never been able to tell at weeks along with
anyone else and no one has said they could with me. How on earth could you
tell just by looking?

I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old October 5th 03, 06:46 PM
Nina

"Sophie" wrote in message
Hhmm, I don't buy it. I've never been able to tell at weeks along with
anyone else and no one has said they could with me. How on earth could

you
tell just by looking?

I dont think its just appearance, but also behavior. ANyone who had been
around a pregnant woman would have known I was pregnant w/in a week of me
being late, because I was so completely nauseated that you could just see
that I was sick. And after that, I was so tired that I couldnt have hid it.
I knew a girl whose pregnancy was pretty obvious becuase her breasts
suddenly got HUGE.
But theres no magic pregnancy sign people wear

Old October 5th 03, 09:58 PM
Marie

On 5 Oct 2003 07:10:15 -0700, (Abi) wrote:
[...]

When I was pregnant with my oldest but not showing yet, a customer
where I worked asked how far along I was. She had no way to know I was
pregnant, but I asked how she could tell and she said I had a glow. (I
thought that glow was just my acne lol)
Marie
Old October 5th 03, 11:34 PM
Vijay

"Nina" wrote in message et...
"Sophie" wrote in message
Hhmm, I don't buy it. I've never been able to tell at weeks along with
anyone else and no one has said they could with me. How on earth could

you
tell just by looking?

I dont think its just appearance, but also behavior. ANyone who had been
around a pregnant woman would have known I was pregnant w/in a week of me
being late, because I was so completely nauseated that you could just see
that I was sick. And after that, I was so tired that I couldnt have hid it.
I knew a girl whose pregnancy was pretty obvious becuase her breasts
suddenly got HUGE.
But theres no magic pregnancy sign people wear

I can't say that I was terribly good at hiding it: I was soooo tired I
kept falling asleep sitting up at 10:30 am (quite out of character)
but somehow nobody guessed. I guess they just thought I was partying
too hard?

I was sure that when I kept ordering anything but raw fish when we
went out for weekly sushi my parents would guess, but still nobody
knew. I wanted to wait until the three month mark (right near mom's
b-day) to tell anyone.

One strange thing: I have a cat (male, age 7) who is very aloof. Lets
you pet him, but never sits on anyone's lap. The minute I became
pregnant, he became the world's most snuggly lap cat. Weird.

-V.
Old October 6th 03, 03:50 AM
Nina

"Sue" wrote in message
Sophie wrote in message
Hhmm, I don't buy it. I've never been able to tell at weeks along with
anyone else and no one has said they could with me. How on earth could

you
tell just by looking?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Well since being pregnant and knowing what we go through, I can tell when
someone is pregnant, even if they are not very far along. It's their
actions, going to the bathroom a lot, rounder face (that's later though)
being nauseated and sick, and just my keen sense of people and their body
language. ;o)

The glow is attributed to increased circulation, u know how hot you feel. I
guess soemtimes you look as flushed as u feel.

Old October 6th 03, 03:54 AM
Tina

(Abi) wrote in message . com...

Will someone please enlighten me? Are people really able to detect
this or are they just pretending they `knew all along'? Let me just
say that I haven't put on any weight yet either...so how the hell can
they tell!?

I would like some advice on this as I certainly dont want my employer
to know until the last possible moment (say in a month or so). But I
would be embarassed if they could also detect my situation aswell and
were just keeping quiet. Please advise!

I don't know if a lot of adults can tell. Maybe women with children
that you're close to -- a couple of my friends 'knew' when I called to
tell them on the phone, and they hadn't seen me since I'd conceived;
but these were friends who were also pregnant! We were all trying to
catch up with each other to give each other the news at the same time!

Some of my relatives knew something was different, but they didn't
guess pregnant. They approached my parents thinking I had an eating
disorder (morning sickness, losing weight)!

That said, I do think my cat knew, 'before I told her', before I told
anyone! She definitely treated me differently,and so did some of my
friends' cats. I haven't heard that dogs can tell, but I guess they'd
be able to. I also think that babies can tell. Even if you're not
showing, but you hold a baby (under 9-12 months maybe), they sometimes
kick and stare at your belly -- at least they did at mine.

In any case, if you think your employer will be angry that you're
keeping a secret because they can 'tell', I wouldn't worry. Just
about every reason for thinking someone's pregnant can be explained as
something else, and if you're planning on telling next month, that's
still soon enough that if anyone says 'I had a feeling', you can say
that you just found out yourself! Or, realistically, that you were
uncomfortable saying anything until it was less likely that you'd
miscarry.

Good luck!

Tina.