mosquitos & a toddler

Old September 24th 03, 12:15 PM
elizabeth emerald

Default mosquitos & a toddler

DS is 13 months. we have just moved him to a big bed. so far so good except
our mosquito problem is causing another problem.

we live next to a river & there are swarms of mosquitos around at the moment
(and will only get worse as we head into summer here in australia). we sleep
with a mosquito net over our bed, had one over the cot & have put one over
DS's bed. but the problem is as now he is able to get in & out of the bed,
he has to get past the mosquito net to get out, but as he is so young,
especially when he is sleepy in the middle of the night, he does not
understand to pick up the net to get under & just gets all wrapped in it. so
we need to find a solution other than a mosquito net.

we have already gone round the house & netted & repaired & sealed everything
necessary. but 1 or 2 mozzies still get in each night from a mystery
location. the only other thing i can think of is the little pads that plug
in the power point that repel the mosquitos, but i don't fancy DS breathing
in those chemicals night after night as well as having something hot that he
might touch plugged in the wall.

i'm wondering if anyone else has had a mosquito problem & what you have done
about it in regard to small children. i'm sure there are some other
solutions out there that i just am not thinking of. it would be a pity to
abandon his big bed & not use it for a long time as it seemed to working
well otherwise.

thanks for your replies.
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Old September 24th 03, 02:45 PM
Herself

elizabeth emerald wrote:

i'm wondering if anyone else has had a mosquito problem & what you have done
about it in regard to small children. i'm sure there are some other
solutions out there that i just am not thinking of. it would be a pity to
abandon his big bed & not use it for a long time as it seemed to working
well otherwise.

Get him a pet frog?

Sorry :-). I've heard there are things that emulate the sound of
dragonfly wings...maybe you could find one of those. I saw it in the
One Step Ahead catalog in the US. I'll bet they'll ship to you.
--
'Tis Herself
Old September 24th 03, 03:44 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
cdg wrote:

In article ,
says...
DS is 13 months. we have just moved him to a big bed. so far so good except
our mosquito problem is causing another problem.

snip
we have already gone round the house & netted & repaired & sealed everything
necessary. but 1 or 2 mozzies still get in each night from a mystery
location. the only other thing i can think of is the little pads that plug
in the power point that repel the mosquitos, but i don't fancy DS breathing
in those chemicals night after night as well as having something hot that he
might touch plugged in the wall.

i'm wondering if anyone else has had a mosquito problem & what you have done
about it in regard to small children. i'm sure there are some other
solutions out there that i just am not thinking of. it would be a pity to
abandon his big bed & not use it for a long time as it seemed to working
well otherwise.

Now, I have not used these, so I can't say if they really work, but I
saw these little electronic devices that are suppose to repel insects by
sound. Either ultrasonic or subsonic, I can't remember now. They are
about the size and shape of a AA battery and cost about $5 for a pack of
two. May be worth a try.

Christian Groth,
father of:
Louis, 3yr
Caleb, 3mo

I never found that any of those things worked, and I've tried several.

I don't know if they're available in Australia, but my parents (who
lived in northern Minnesota, where the mosquito is the state bird, and
had a swamp behind their house besides) used to burn a mosquito coil, or
part of one, in the evening before the kids went to bed. I don't know
how healthy it was, but they don't say to not burn indoors, they burn
for a limited amount of time and kill all the mosquitos in a room fairly
quickly, and it beat the heck out of swatting them all night.

Unless you never go in and out your doors, mosquitos WILL get in; I'm
not sure I'd bother with anything for one or two -- unless you are
dealing with mosquitos that are likely to be carrying a nasty virus.

meh

Old September 25th 03, 02:23 AM
Mamma Mia

curious as to why you have him out of the cot already??

and BOOOOOO mozzies. nightmare!

christine

Old September 25th 03, 02:43 AM
Sophie

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
curious as to why you have him out of the cot already??

and BOOOOOO mozzies. nightmare!

christine

Why not? We moved our first one out of the crib at 14 months. It's
do-able.

Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 25th 03, 03:51 AM
Rosalie B.

"Sophie" wrote:
"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
curious as to why you have him out of the cot already??

and BOOOOOO mozzies. nightmare!

Why not? We moved our first one out of the crib at 14 months. It's
do-able.

I moved mine out of the crib (if that's the same as a cot) when they were
climbing out, and that happened earlier with some and later with others.

grandma Rosalie
Old September 25th 03, 12:14 PM
Rosalie B.

Rosalie B. wrote:

"Sophie" wrote:
"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
curious as to why you have him out of the cot already??

and BOOOOOO mozzies. nightmare!

Why not? We moved our first one out of the crib at 14 months. It's
do-able.

I moved mine out of the crib (if that's the same as a cot) when they were
climbing out, and that happened earlier with some and later with others.

I have a question about the configuration of the nets. How are the nets
secured? Can they be tied at the bottom under the bed? Can the entrance
be weighted at the bottom so they automatically fall back into place (like
a self closing door)?

grandma Rosalie