Political correctness - What is it with aggressive mothers?

Old October 7th 03, 05:36 PM
Tom Enright

Default Politically Incorrect WAS Political correctness

"Banty" wrote in message

So, is he back to his normal funny self, or still on a crusade against the
Islamic Civilization?

Jokes about Islam == Politically Incorrect
Jokes about Catholics == Politically Correct

The problem with much Maher's show is that it is in fact very politically
correct. I don't remember anyone complaining about his "crusade against
Catholic culture."

But still, he does have some good schtick.

-TOE
Old October 7th 03, 05:58 PM
Banty

In article , Tom Enright
says...

"Banty" wrote in message

So, is he back to his normal funny self, or still on a crusade against the
Islamic Civilization?

Jokes about Islam == Politically Incorrect
Jokes about Catholics == Politically Correct

The problem with much Maher's show is that it is in fact very politically
correct. I don't remember anyone complaining about his "crusade against
Catholic culture."

??

I'm not talking *jokes*, I'm talking about straight editorializing regarding
Arabs and Islam and the Middle East. That would be the equivalent of Bill
Maher's having made seriously meant statements (like truly anti-Catholic
rhetoric I've encountered in the past) against 'Papists' and allegiences to
Rome, and to my knowledge he's done no such thing regarding Catholics.

But still, he does have some good schtick.

He does, when he doesn't get too full of himself.

Banty

Old October 7th 03, 11:45 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I'm not talking *jokes*, I'm talking about straight editorializing
regarding
: Arabs and Islam and the Middle East. That would be the equivalent of Bill
: Maher's having made seriously meant statements

Or, like Rush Limbaugh making comments about *football*??? G
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 8th 03, 01:33 AM
Banty

In article , ColoradoSkiBum says...

: I'm not talking *jokes*, I'm talking about straight editorializing
regarding
: Arabs and Islam and the Middle East. That would be the equivalent of Bill
: Maher's having made seriously meant statements

Or, like Rush Limbaugh making comments about *football*??? G

Heh - yeah.

Remember folks - it's 'entertainment'!

Banty

Old October 8th 03, 02:26 AM
ColoradoSkiBum

: Or, like Rush Limbaugh making comments about *football*??? G
:
: Heh - yeah.
:
: Remember folks - it's 'entertainment'!

Well I'd like to know what ESPN was thinking when they hired him as a
football commentator! I bet somebody lost their job over this!
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 8th 03, 07:24 AM
P. Tierney

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
: Or, like Rush Limbaugh making comments about *football*??? G
:
: Heh - yeah.
:
: Remember folks - it's 'entertainment'!

Well I'd like to know what ESPN was thinking when they hired him as a
football commentator! I bet somebody lost their job over this!

Their ratings went up 10% while he was on, so probably not.

P. Tierney

Old October 9th 03, 03:22 AM
Laura Faussone

"P. Tierney" wrote:

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
: Or, like Rush Limbaugh making comments about *football*??? G
:
: Heh - yeah.
:
: Remember folks - it's 'entertainment'!

Well I'd like to know what ESPN was thinking when they hired him as a
football commentator! I bet somebody lost their job over this!

Their ratings went up 10% while he was on, so probably not.

He actually has some background in sports -- he worked for the KC Royals &
also played football in high school.

Old October 9th 03, 12:19 PM
Banty

In article , Michelle J. Haines
says...

In article ,
says...
: I remember the show and his comment. Really, he didn't slam the troops.
: He slammed the "Powers That Be". But, it didn't matter because of the
: following interpretation of his comment, the damage was done.

So what was the comment then? Do you remember it?

I do. He said that it was wrong to call the hijackers cowardly,
because giving up your life in a cause you believe it in not
cowardly, even if it is misguided. He said simply sending cruise
missiles over the ocean to another country without people being
involved was cowardly. He didn't imply anything about US Servicemen,
IMO.

Some of which was dum dum dum dum.

He had an interesting point about how the media was unthinkingly parrotting each
other about the hijackers being 'cowardly' (just to be crystal clear, he did not
admire their actions - he not only hated and detested them, but considered their
actions the opening salvo of a War of Civilizations). But then in trying to
shore up his point by making a contrast, he prattled on about how the troops,
meaning simply that their work wasn't necessarily as dangerously committed as
the hijackers as they're working from a distance, were 'cowardly', and leaned on
that word when I don't think that's what he really meant to say.

And of course in those days there was a pretty raw nerve about someone going on
about U.S. troops being 'cowardly' even if it were just recklessly chosen words
from a mealy-mouthed sometime comedian.

But then, I agree that he was getting tiresome.

Yeah - funny guy most of the time, during those months he was just getting
stupidly full of himself.

Banty