child behaviour??

Old April 1st 04, 09:53 PM
Michael

Default child behaviour??

I have recentley had a baby boy and I already have a 6 year old girl, since
returning home from hospital after c section and baby spending time in
special care I am finding it very hard to deal with my 6 year old, she has
become increasingly difficult and loud and demanding, it seems the more I
try to include her the more she rebels which makes me think why should I
carry on trying if that the outcome and so we dont seem to be communicating
at the moment. Any suggestions????

Old April 2nd 04, 02:05 PM
toto

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:53:51 +0100, "Michael"
wrote:

I have recentley had a baby boy and I already have a 6 year old girl, since
returning home from hospital after c section and baby spending time in
special care I am finding it very hard to deal with my 6 year old, she has
become increasingly difficult and loud and demanding, it seems the more I
try to include her the more she rebels which makes me think why should I
carry on trying if that the outcome and so we dont seem to be communicating
at the moment. Any suggestions????

Get Siblings without Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine Maslish to help
you deal with the rivalry portion of the behavior.

Note that your 6 year old probably is feeling upset that you are
weaker than usual (I assume that recovering from the c-section
is causing you to be unable to do some things you could have done
easily before). She may actually not know how to take the change
that this brought. Maybe she is worried about your health too.

By include her, do you mean include her in caring for the baby? If
so, don't force this on her. Let her come to it in her own way when
the baby comes home, perhaps. She may be frightened of the
hospital special care, especially if your baby has lots of tubes and
monitors. You may want to get some books to read that talk about
the problems the new baby is experiencing in a non-threatening way.
Without specifics, I can't recommend a particular book, but I am
sure you can find something by searching online or by asking your
librarian or the nurses at the hospital.

Good luck.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits