Sad story

Old July 8th 04, 07:34 AM
Plissken

Default Sad story

A woman who lives just outside of my town recently had a home birth and lost
her baby. I feel so sad for her but unfortunately she made some really bad
decisions.

She had a c-section with her first pregnancy and her Doc informed her that
this second baby was breech. For some reason she was absolutely determined
to have a natural home birth no matter what. She apparently called every
midwife in town to see if they would under the circumstances take her on as
a patient. She was turned down by all the registered midwifes. She ended up
choosing a "midwife" who turned out to not even be a midwife at all, she was
not registered in our province.

Sadly the baby had major complications during delivery and passed away. How
sad.

Old July 8th 04, 02:22 PM
Jenny D

OMG... poor child... stupid woman.

Old July 9th 04, 05:06 AM
Chotii

"Jenny D" wrote in message
OMG... poor child... stupid woman.

You know, if her primary cesarean was anything like MINE (and mine wasn't as
bad as some I've heard), maybe she simply never wanted to set foot in a
hospital again. I've been there, done that. Wound up with another cesarean
anyway. But come on, before you call this woman stupid, maybe consider that
it's just possible she'd been so traumatised she'd rather risk losing her
next baby than go through that again. You know?

I pity her. I grieve with her.

--angela

Old July 9th 04, 01:50 PM
Jenny D

I would never risk loosing my baby... no matted how traumatized I was. My
baby comes first before anything. If a doctor told me that I would have to
give birth upside down while jabbing a fork in my eye so that my baby can be
safe... I would do it.

She killed her child; she's a murderer.

The only excuse she may possibly have is if she did so for some religious
reason.

I understand that you disagree, and that's ok, I am a very extreme person
(especially when pregnant) but I these types of things sicken me.

I grieve for her dead baby.

"Chotii" wrote in message
news

Old July 9th 04, 01:53 PM
Iuil

"Jenny D" wrote
She killed her child; she's a murderer.

I really hope that some of our regular posters aren't reading this. If you
are, then (((((mega-hugs)))).

Jean

Old July 9th 04, 08:06 PM
Jenny D

Why would you be concerned Jean? Are there any poster here who have failed
to listen to EVERY midwife they spoke to and then hired one illegally to
give birth at home to a breached baby?

Oh of course... if there are regular posters here who have lost a child at
birth, for sure ((((MEGA HUGS))).

God bless you, I am sure you did everything you could in your power to
prevent it because you love your baby more than life itself. and please
don't be offended by my opinion of that woman because you cannot begin to
imagine how much I do not consider you in any way to be like her.

I dunno.. if I had lost Tommy at birth, I would be devasted and hearing
about this woman and how she did nothing to prevent it would make me even
more upset at her.

"Jenny D" wrote

Old July 9th 04, 03:53 PM
Zaz

She killed her child; she's a murderer.

The only excuse she may possibly have is if she did so for some religious
reason.

I understand that you disagree, and that's ok, I am a very extreme person
(especially when pregnant) but I these types of things sicken me.

I grieve for her dead baby.

This is a terrible accusation, and the religious tidbit in now way
diminishes it: would murder for a god be less a murder?

I realize you are an extreme person who stands by her views, but this was
not a murder, it was an accident, which could also have happened in a
hospital.
That woman might have lacked some judgement, but the people around her did
too, and she is not to be blamed.

I sincerely hope nothing ever happens to you or your loved ones following a
decision you might have made thinking it was the right one.

You say you grieve for her dead baby... I grieve for her.

Old July 9th 04, 06:04 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Zaz wrote:

I realize you are an extreme person who stands by her views, but this was
not a murder, it was an accident, which could also have happened in a
hospital.

Absolutely. Are we going to call women whose babies
die in hospital births due to medical malpractice, mistakes,
unnecessary interventions, etc. murderers as well? After all,
the vast majority of mistakes happen in hospitals. Anyone could
do the research and choose not to put herself in that position.
Wouldn't that make her just as culpable? We could keep taking
it further and further--should we ban pain relief drugs in
labor because in rare cases they can cause serious complications?

If you're going to play the blame game, at least
be consistent--at which point most people will realize
how foolish it is.

I agree the woman exercised poor judgement, but
unfortunately, that happens not infrequently in all sorts
of other cases that we call accidents, not murders.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 9th 04, 08:40 PM
Jenny D

"This is a terrible accusation, and the religious tidbit in now way
diminishes it: would murder for a god be less a murder?"

I agree. Some religions don't allow blood tranfusion or organ transplants.
I think it's wrong but if it's their religion, what can we do about it? I'm
not saying a religious reason makes it right, I'm just saying it may help us
to undertand her logic. (or lack there of) but certainly, I totally agree
with you... it is not right no matter what the excuse. Perhaps I should have
phrased that psrt better.

"I realize you are an extreme person who stands by her views, but this was
not a murder, it was an accident, which could also have happened in a
hospital."

I agree with you again. And if she would have gone to the hospital, I bet
that baby would have lived. Yes, of course, it may still have died in
hospital but at least she would have done all that she could for him/her.

"That woman might have lacked some judgement, but the people around her did
too, and she is not to be blamed."

What do you mean by the people around her? The only person responsible for
her birthing is herself. The mother has full responsibility.

"I sincerely hope nothing ever happens to you or your loved ones following a
decision you might have made thinking it was the right one."

If I CHOSE not to buckle my child in the minivan and he died in a vehicle
accident, I would be a stupid woman... I would be a murderer but if I fogot
because I was holding 5 bags in one hand and a screaming nephew in another,
then it would be a mistake... a horrible, regretable mistake. She did not
make a mistake, she made a choice.

How in the world could she think she was making the right decision. What
era does she think we live it? It's the 21st centure and despite how
"natural" you want to be, you cannot ignore the doctores and dozens of
qualified midwives. She had to have been mentally retarted.