Baby's problem passing motion

Old September 4th 04, 07:05 PM
tamarind

Default Baby's problem passing motion

Earlier today I found my 16 month old daughter crying while trying to
pass motion. I looked at her anus and found that she was trying to
pass this huge chunk of very hard faeces, about 1 inch in diameter.
There was already some blood around the anus. I held her with her legs
apart, and gently encourage her to push it out. She finally did after
a few minutes, but her anus was very red and soar. Since she was not
bleeding any more, I decided to wait and see if she had any problems
the next time she passes motion again. I was quite worried that she
had some cuts or tears in her anus. Or should I bring her to see the
doctor anyway ?

My daughter was not having constipation, she was passing motion
regularly everyday. I am puzzled as to why this happened suddenly ?
Anyone else has experienced this with their babies ?
Old September 4th 04, 10:11 PM
CY

Yes we did and this can actually cause constipation because she may now be
afraid to go and will withold her stool, which then exacerbates the
condition. I would take her to the doc so you can get a stool softner
(Miralax is great) just to get you guys over the hump otherwise you could be
looking at major constipation and you definitely don't want that!
om...

Old September 5th 04, 03:01 AM
newfy.1

"tamarind" wrote in message
om...

My daughter was not having constipation, she was passing motion
regularly everyday. I am puzzled as to why this happened suddenly ?
Anyone else has experienced this with their babies ?

A large, hard stool *is* constipation and that sounds exactly like what your
daughter has. If she's normally regular maybe she just didn't eat enough
fruit/veggie or drink enough water. Try some chopped up prunes or prune
juice.

JennP.