Belated - 31 week appointment w/ midwife

Old April 6th 06, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Belated - 31 week appointment w/ midwife

Now, that was an interesting one. Micheline (my midwife) had been up helping
another woman giving birth since 3 AM. By the time we got there, the lady in
question was being taken for a walk in the park (it was a beautiful, warm
and sunny day) with the student midwife, so Micheline had time for us. It
was in fact quite funny. I could see how tired she was -- in fact, she was
tired, but on adrenaline. She talked more than me this time!

For the first time in a few appointments, DH was with me. I hadn't asked him
to come along for the two previous appointments, since A) I know what's
going on this time around and B) after the Down Syndrom story, he had missed
much work and I'd rather he saves his time for when the baby arrives.
However, this time I asked him, because I wanted to discuss the "what if"
questions with Micheline.

Questions like...
- my inner labia tore very badly and needed surgical restructuration at the
birth of Mlle C. What if it happens this time and I'm at the birth centre
(i.e. no surgeon around?)? -- answer: there is no reason why the tear should
be the same again. My perinea never tore, and a labial tear is not one that
"remembers".
- what if my baby exceeds the weight "allowed" for delivery in a birth
center? -- answer: you delivered a 10 lb 7 oz baby last time. If you feel up
to that kind of weight, there is no reason to forego the birth centre.
- what if I start having contractions (or breaking my waters) at 7 AM on a
Tuesday morning (by the time of birth, we will be living in the suburbs with
a bridge to cross to get to the birth centre)? -- answer: go to your nearest
hospital. You can't afford spending 2 hours jammed in traffic...
- what if all my planning goes awry and no one is there to take care of Mlle
C? --answer (obvious, yet not so): don't wait for anyone, come right in and
take her with you.
- what if I decide I just don't want to go without the epidural? --answer:
we'll transfer you to the hospital, that's entirely up to you.
- why am I so afraid of giving birth this time? I felt so confident the
first time... -- answer: it's just too fresh in your memory. You didn't have
an easy birth, even with all your preparation (exercices, yoga, swimming),
and this time you didn't have much time to do those same exercises. Just
remember you've gone through it, with a big baby, so you can do it again,
most probably even more easily.

Aside from that, all was fine, Baby is at 31 cm, kicking like crazy (as
usual), heart beat is perfect, my blood pressure is all right, pee-pee OK
too. Next appointment is now in two weeks.

Isabelle
Mom to Mlle C
Expecting Leo (we changed name) around June 7

20 Weeks Appointment with Midwife Zaz Pregnancy 1 January 25th 06 09:24 PM
Midwife Appointment April & Bump Pregnancy 6 December 14th 05 11:53 AM
Week 38 appointment Zaz Pregnancy 2 November 10th 04 01:07 AM
Midwife appointment, first ever.... Jill Pregnancy 4 March 31st 04 06:43 PM
28 Week appointment (in week 29 actually!) Jill Pregnancy 18 March 5th 04 09:18 PM