Varicose vein info and treatment (TMI and graphic)

Old April 3rd 06, 08:54 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Varicose vein info and treatment (TMI and graphic)

Umm... I am having a rather embarassing varicose vein problem. I
think I've had the veins for at least a few weeks now, but two weeks
ago they were brought to my attention when I was "spotting," and they
were blamed as a possible reason, and now for the last few days they
have been causing me pain.

Anyway, as if my "spotting" reference didn't make it obvious, these are
not leg veins, they are in the vulvar area. They are large, unsightly,
and very painful -- like a very bad bruise or maybe a cut/scrape would
feel. I have found I cannot walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes without
the pain forcing me to stop, and sitting for long periods of time
(which I -have- to do -- my job is a "desk job.") causes problems, too.

So, three questions: 1) Can this cause any problems? I read there
could be problems with excessive bleeding during childbirth, and with
adequate bloodflow to the rest of my body and baby during pregnancy.
2) Are there treatment options? I read that I should avoid sitting or
standing for long periods of time, but like I said, I have to sit at my
job, there's no way around it. 3) Can I expect this to get worse
through the rest of the pregnancy? It is my understanding that it's
caused by the pressure of the baby -- it seems like since the baby will
only get bigger, that this problem is only going to get worse.

I am -really- unhappy and distressed by this problem. If anyone has
any advice, I would really appreciate it. I know it's an embarassing
subject. Thanks.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
#2 EDD 6-2-06

Old April 6th 06, 09:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Oh hell!!! I can't help other than to see I really feel for you!! They
must be so dam painful, poor you. I personally would get them checked out
just the same as I would get any bad varicose veins checked. The doctor
then may have a suggestion.

Take care.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
"I'm a big girl cause I go to school kindy"

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
Took her first steps on her 1st Birthday.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

--
ps.com...

#2 EDD 6-2-06

Old April 6th 06, 09:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:

not leg veins, they are in the vulvar area. They are large, unsightly,
and very painful -- like a very bad bruise or maybe a cut/scrape would
feel. I have found I cannot walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes without
the pain forcing me to stop, and sitting for long periods of time
(which I -have- to do -- my job is a "desk job.") causes problems, too.

If it hurt 'down there' how could you sit?

Regardless, they don't sound like varicose or spider veins, as those are
in the legs or ankles. Are you meaning above the pubic area? are they
possibly stretch marks? In my first pregnancy I had really bad stretch
marks right above my pubic area & just below my 'bump'. When I got even
bigger, they were sore alot because my tummy would fold over & would
hurt & feel like a bruise.

Other possibilities if you are really speaking of your "feminine parts":
Maybe it's a yeast infection?

So, three questions: 1) Can this cause any problems? I read there
could be problems with excessive bleeding during childbirth, and with
adequate bloodflow to the rest of my body and baby during pregnancy.
2) Are there treatment options? I read that I should avoid sitting or
standing for long periods of time, but like I said, I have to sit at my
job, there's no way around it. 3) Can I expect this to get worse
through the rest of the pregnancy? It is my understanding that it's
caused by the pressure of the baby -- it seems like since the baby will
only get bigger, that this problem is only going to get worse.

Can you purchase a birth ball (exercize ball) & sit on it at work?
It can really help strengthen your 'pelvic floor' and sitting posture.
It can also help the baby turn back forward instead of face forward.

I got mine at target & made a cover for it with doubleknit, but some
places i have seen online (although expensive) sell covers.
Old April 6th 06, 09:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise~* wrote:
carlye wrote:

not leg veins, they are in the vulvar area. They are large,
unsightly, and very painful -- like a very bad bruise or maybe a
cut/scrape would feel. I have found I cannot walk for more than 5
or 10 minutes without the pain forcing me to stop, and sitting for
long periods of time (which I -have- to do -- my job is a "desk
job.") causes problems, too.

If it hurt 'down there' how could you sit?

Apparently, not very well. And painfully.

Regardless, they don't sound like varicose or spider veins, as those
are in the legs or ankles. Are you meaning above the pubic area? are they
possibly stretch marks? In my first pregnancy I had really
bad stretch marks right above my pubic area & just below my 'bump'. When I
got even bigger, they were sore alot because my tummy would
fold over & would hurt & feel like a bruise.

It is possible to get varicose veins in your vaginal area. You can get
varicose veins pretty much anywhere.

Other possibilities if you are really speaking of your "feminine
parts": Maybe it's a yeast infection?

So, three questions: 1) Can this cause any problems? I read there
could be problems with excessive bleeding during childbirth, and with
adequate bloodflow to the rest of my body and baby during pregnancy.
2) Are there treatment options? I read that I should avoid sitting
or standing for long periods of time, but like I said, I have to sit
at my job, there's no way around it. 3) Can I expect this to get
worse through the rest of the pregnancy? It is my understanding
that it's caused by the pressure of the baby -- it seems like since
the baby will only get bigger, that this problem is only going to
get worse.

To the OP -- I'd make an appointment to see your doctor about them, or if
your next appointment is soon enough, wait. You may end up needing to get a
doctors note to get out of work, due to the sitting issue.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old April 6th 06, 09:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise~* wrote:
carlye wrote:

not leg veins, they are in the vulvar area. They are large, unsightly,
and very painful -- like a very bad bruise or maybe a cut/scrape would
feel. I have found I cannot walk for more than 5 or 10 minutes without
the pain forcing me to stop, and sitting for long periods of time
(which I -have- to do -- my job is a "desk job.") causes problems, too.

If it hurt 'down there' how could you sit?

Regardless, they don't sound like varicose or spider veins, as those are
in the legs or ankles.

No, varicose veins can happen anywhere veins are near the
skin. It is not that uncommon for women to have varicose veins
in the vagina or vulva (though they are sometimes called
hemorrhoids there too).

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old April 6th 06, 10:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Jamie Clark wrote:
If it hurt 'down there' how could you sit?

Apparently, not very well. And painfully.

LOL. Yeah, I have hemmorhoids, too, so there isn't a good position for
me to be in. Fortunately, it gets increasingly worse throughout the
day (I wake up every morning feeling much better), so it isn't really,
REALLY painful to sit until it gets closer to the end of my workday.

It is possible to get varicose veins in your vaginal area. You can get
varicose veins pretty much anywhere
To the OP -- I'd make an appointment to see your doctor about them, or if
your next appointment is soon enough, wait. You may end up needing to get a
doctors note to get out of work, due to the sitting issue.

Yup, they definitely are varicose veins. My OB identified them as such
when I had my "spotting" issue (I had to get a pelvic exam -- yay). At
that point, they were a bit smaller and not painful, though, so there
wasn't any urgency, at least not as far as I was concerned, to do
anything. I have another appointment on Monday, though -- maybe he'll
have some options for me. I hope he has some wonderful "cure" !

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
Baby boy "Hale" EDD 6-2-06

Old April 6th 06, 10:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Me Myself and I wrote:

Oh hell!!! I can't help other than to see I really feel for you!!

Thanks. That helps... really. :-)

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
Baby boy "Hale" EDD 6-2-06

Old April 6th 06, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

No, varicose veins can happen anywhere veins are near the
skin. It is not that uncommon for women to have varicose veins
in the vagina or vulva (though they are sometimes called
hemorrhoids there too).

Best wishes,
Ericka

Wow, you learn something new every day?
Old April 6th 06, 10:45 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Denise wrote:
Regardless, they don't sound like varicose or spider veins, as those are
in the legs or ankles.

Nope, it really is varicose veins. They certainly *looked* like
varicose veins (they're horrible -- four of them bulging about as big
around as a pea and up to an inch or so long) and my OB diagnosed them
as such a few weeks ago. At that time, though, they were much smaller
and didn't hurt, so I didn't even bother asking about further
prevention or treatment options.

Can you purchase a birth ball (exercize ball) & sit on it at work?
It can really help strengthen your 'pelvic floor' and sitting posture.
It can also help the baby turn back forward instead of face forward.

Would strengthening my pelvic floor muscles help? I wondered about
that, since they say to walk for varicose veins in your legs, I figured
trying to strengthen/increase blood flow in my "problem area" was what
I needed to do. I've been doing more kegels, but I haven't tried my
exercise ball. I will give that a shot, although I'll probably hold
off on bringing it to work for a while.

Thanks!

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
Baby boy "Hale" EDD 6-2-06

Old April 6th 06, 11:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

carlye wrote:
Jamie Clark wrote:
If it hurt 'down there' how could you sit?

Apparently, not very well. And painfully.

LOL. Yeah, I have hemmorhoids, too, so there isn't a good position
for me to be in. Fortunately, it gets increasingly worse throughout
the day (I wake up every morning feeling much better), so it isn't
really, REALLY painful to sit until it gets closer to the end of my
workday.

It sounds like one of those donut pillows would really help take the
pressure off. That and standing frequently and walking about.

It is possible to get varicose veins in your vaginal area. You can
get varicose veins pretty much anywhere
To the OP -- I'd make an appointment to see your doctor about them,
or if your next appointment is soon enough, wait. You may end up
needing to get a doctors note to get out of work, due to the sitting
issue.

Yup, they definitely are varicose veins. My OB identified them as
such when I had my "spotting" issue (I had to get a pelvic exam --
yay). At that point, they were a bit smaller and not painful,
though, so there wasn't any urgency, at least not as far as I was
concerned, to do anything. I have another appointment on Monday,
though -- maybe he'll have some options for me. I hope he has some
wonderful "cure" !

Witch hazel? Tucks pads? Ice pack? Frozen pantyliners? I can just see
you keeping those in the office freezer for late afternoon use! LOL!