More about Conception Intuitions

Old January 15th 05, 06:12 PM
carl jones

Default More about Conception Intuitions

Hi,

I am including two stories here to give you an idea of what I was getting
at when I asked for a conception intuition.

I am looking, primarily, to hear from folks -- both expectant mothers and
expectant fathers -- who have had an intuition of conception before a
pregnancy test can detect pregnancy.

I am especially interested in episodes that occurred during, immediately
after, or within a few hours of lovemaking

I am also interested in hearing what the conception intuition felt like. .

The following stories are quite dramatic. I don't expect anything as
dramatic as these. My and my wife's own conception intuition (we had
conception intuitions in all our four pregnancies) was undramatic. Jan felt
"a warm, inner glow." I felt like something "magical" had occurred.

Patrick, a father in California, had a dramatic conception intuition. "My
wife and I decided to try to make a baby," Patrick recalls. "One night,
during lovemaking, I had the strongest feeling that we were doing just that.
I seemed at some level to feel the creative forces merge to form a girl. So
strong was the perception, immediately afterward, I leaped out of bed and
wrote on the calendar, 'This night my baby girl was conceived.'

"Six weeks later the doctor told us that my wife was six weeks pregnant!
All through the pregnancy I seemed aware at some level of my daughter, a
connection that has persisted to this day (she's twelve now)."

Patrick's experience, though dramatic, is hardly unique.

Thousands of parents experience conception intuitions. And many have
intuitions of conception long before technology can detect pregnancy.
Erica's story is a striking example. After making love, she realized with a
quiet certainty that her second child had been conceived. "It was a
healthy, peaceful, exciting feeling," Erica recalls. "I told my husband,
'I'm pregnant!' The next day I made an appointment with my physician."

Erica's first child was only three months old at the time. Erica hadn't
even had a period yet. The chances of conception were exceedingly slim. But
she informed her physician, "I know I'm pregnant."

"How can you know?' the physician asked skeptically.

"I don't know how I know. I just know," Erica insisted.

Her doctor told her it was impossible to test for pregnancy only a few
hours after conception. And it was certainly impossible for her to know she
was pregnant. But Erica wouldn't be put off. Finally, to humor her, the
physician made an appointment for three weeks later. He was astounded when
the test came out positive. "You really are pregnant!" he exclaimed.

Biologically, the conception intuition is impossible. No one can feel such
a tiny process occurring within the body (though women are sometimes aware
of the time of ovulation). Yet thousands of parents have conception
intuitions and take them as much a part of pregnancy as tingling breasts.

Carl

Old January 15th 05, 09:48 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
carl jones wrote:

* Patrick, a father in California, had a dramatic conception intuition. "My
*wife and I decided to try to make a baby," Patrick recalls. "One night,
*during lovemaking, I had the strongest feeling that we were doing just that.
*I seemed at some level to feel the creative forces merge to form a girl. So
*strong was the perception, immediately afterward, I leaped out of bed and
*wrote on the calendar, 'This night my baby girl was conceived.'
*
* "Six weeks later the doctor told us that my wife was six weeks pregnant!

That makes no sense. Physicians do not date pregnancies from the date of
conception. Physicians date pregnancies using the last menstrual period
(LMP) method. Conception is a peri-ovulatory act. Therefore, six weeks
post-conception, if a physician makes a diagnosis of pregnancy, he or she
would pronounce the woman to be EIGHT weeks pregnant.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old January 15th 05, 10:08 PM
Pip

I was just going to say exactly the same thing. Don't forget the extra 2
weeks. If you are going to include things like this in your book you better
make sure all the dates add up.

Old January 15th 05, 10:58 PM
Rivka W

Hillary Israeli wrote:
In ,
carl jones wrote:

* Patrick, a father in California, had a dramatic conception
* intuition. "My wife and I decided to try to make a baby,"
* Patrick recalls. "One night, during lovemaking, I had the
* strongest feeling that we were doing just that.

* "Six weeks later the doctor told us that my wife was six
* weeks pregnant!

That makes no sense. Physicians do not date pregnancies from
the date of conception. Physicians date pregnancies using the
last menstrual period (LMP) method.

Not to mention, how often does conception actually take place during
sex itself, as opposed to a few hours to a couple of days after sex?
It seems more likely that 'Patrick' would be waking up in the middle
of the night, several hours after sex, and thinking 'Whoa, one of my
boys just finally made it!'

Rivka
Li'l Critter due 4/3/05

--
Visit my weblog at http://respectfulofotters.blogspot.com

Old January 15th 05, 11:06 PM
Todd Gastaldo

carl jones wrote:

[...]

Hillary,

Is there any way it could fit if the mother's menstrual periods aren't
regular?

As in...

"Last menstrual period: By convention, pregnancies are dated in weeks
starting from the first day of a woman's last menstrual period (LMP). If her
menstrual periods are regular and ovulation occurs on day 14 of her cycle,
conception takes place about 2 weeks after her LMP. A woman is therefore
considered to be 6 weeks pregnant 2 weeks after her first missed period.

"A woman's obstetric date is different from the embryologic date (the age of
the embryo). The obstetric date is about 2 weeks longer than the embryologic
date."
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=13608

Carl,

OBs are closing birth canals up to 30% and keeping birth canals closed when
babies get stuck.

Prominent midwives (eg. Midwifery Today editor Jan Tritten) are promoting
these practices.

Conception intuitions are interesting - but I'm thinking that addressing the
bizarre (sometimes fatal) obstetric and midwifery tomfoolery is more
important.

Have you ever explicitly said in any of your writings that OBs are closing
birth canals and keeping birth canals closed when babies get stuck?

No time like the present if you haven't.

Sincerely,

Todd

Old January 15th 05, 11:07 PM
arachne

"Todd Gastaldo" wrote in message
nk.net...

carl jones wrote:

[...]

i was wondering how you were going to squeeze it in...............
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th August 2002

"In these matters the only certainty is that nothing is certain." -- Pliny
the Elder (23 AD - 79 AD)

Old January 15th 05, 11:20 PM
Todd Gastaldo

"Rivka W" wrote in message
Hillary Israeli wrote:
In ,
carl jones wrote:

* Patrick, a father in California, had a dramatic conception
* intuition. "My wife and I decided to try to make a baby,"
* Patrick recalls. "One night, during lovemaking, I had the
* strongest feeling that we were doing just that.

* "Six weeks later the doctor told us that my wife was six
* weeks pregnant!

That makes no sense. Physicians do not date pregnancies from
the date of conception. Physicians date pregnancies using the
last menstrual period (LMP) method.

Not to mention, how often does conception actually take place during sex
itself, as opposed to a few hours to a couple of days after sex? It seems
more likely that 'Patrick' would be waking up in the middle of the night,
several hours after sex, and thinking 'Whoa, one of my boys just finally
made it!'

But what if it was one of his girls - LOL

Todd
Rivka
Li'l Critter due 4/3/05

--
Visit my weblog at http://respectfulofotters.blogspot.com

Old January 16th 05, 01:54 AM
Melania

If it was one of his girls, it might not have been till two days later,
if the tales of hardier, slower-swimming XX sperm are to be believed. .
..

Also, the only way that the doc would have said they were six weeks
pregnant *and* the wife would actually be six weeks from the moment of
conception would be if she had ovulated the same day her period
started. Very, VERY unlikely. What usually happens is that a woman
ovulates on, for example, day 9, or (like me) day 19, or whatever,
instead of day 14, so then when the dr. guestimates the stage of the
pregnancy, s/he is off by the difference in days. Normally, however,
that would only be up to five days or a week *after* the last menstrual
period began, and not on the same day - it could be a lot longer
afterwards if the woman has really long cycles, I guess.

Anyway, I think it's a bit odd that Mr. Jones just blithely posts a
"clarification" to his request, without defending himself against the
ongoing - and in my mind quite justified - claims that he is a
predatory troll who has been laying bait in various newsgroups for some
twelve years.

Old January 16th 05, 06:17 AM

carl jones wrote:

Biologically, the conception intuition is impossible. No one can

feel such
a tiny process occurring within the body (though women are sometimes

aware
of the time of ovulation). Yet thousands of parents have conception
intuitions and take them as much a part of pregnancy as tingling

breasts.

That doesn't mean they're real. Thousands of people seriously think
that the Earth is flat.

I see you only want reports that confirm your bias. Explain why that's
"research" again, would you?

--
C, mama to two year old nursling