new childfree newsgroup where parents can post too

Old August 4th 03, 08:03 PM
Jayne Kulikauskas

Default new childfree newsgroup where parents can post too

Some of you may remember a while ago there was some discussion of having a
group in which parents and childfree could talk to each other. Parents are
not welcome at alt.support.childfree so there is no opportunity for
constructive (or civil) dialogue there. It turns out there is a dead group
called alt.childfree.bridgebuilding. Because it has been inactive for a
while most servers don't carry it. If you want to subscribe to this group
you can ask your server to carry it or you can register with
http://News.Individual.NET a free server that has it already. This is the
German server that a lot of the alt.mothers people use.

Those of you who were around during the revival of misc.kids are familiar
with what is needed. You respond to appropriate posts and ignore the
others. My thanks to everyone who is willing to help.

Jayne

Old August 4th 03, 10:29 PM
Astromum

Childfree huh?

/in quivering voice
B....b.....bu....but I wanna PLAY TOOOOOOOO!!!

/runs off to mommy for help

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old August 4th 03, 10:39 PM
Jayne Kulikauskas

"Mamasamba" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:03:21 -0400, "Jayne Kulikauskas"
wrote:

My thanks to everyone who is willing to help.

I did see that ng pop up on my new groups list and thought that's one
I can pass up. I haven't changed my mind. I already have dialog with
my DINK friends.

No problem. If you're not interested, you're not interested.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Jayne

Old August 5th 03, 08:27 AM
Rorqhual

"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote in message
Some of you may remember a while ago there was some discussion of having a
group in which parents and childfree could talk to each other. Parents

are
not welcome at alt.support.childfree so there is no opportunity for
constructive (or civil) dialogue there.

OK, dons 'leap to defence' outfit. asc is, as the name suggests, a SUPPORT
froup for childfree people who feel (particularly in the US, it seems)
ostracised because of their choice. That's why parents are not welcome
there. It's eminently possible to have a constructive or civil dialogue with
many of the asc'ers (myself excluded, of courseg), but not in that
particular forum, as it is the one place the members can vent without
ruffling feathers.

The idea of a 'mixed' forum sounds good, but I fear it will degenerate into
an 'us vs them' flamefest, as has happened before in ascm.

But I'll give it a go. As you are aware (hopefully) I am not an violently
anti children as some denizens of asc, but I would certainly not see a
sudden influx of childed people as either welcome or constructive within
asc, any more than an influx of paedophiles or child haters would be welcome
here. In the old days, we used to select our NGs to reflect our own
interests/lifestyles, and post to each as appropriate to it's charter. But
then, I'm an old, old man who can still remember when trolls were witty and
intelligent.
)
R --- and the summers were hotter, and we could leave our front door open
all day.... mumble drone......

Old August 5th 03, 12:57 PM
Jayne Kulikauskas

"SarahH" wrote in message

[]
Jayne, Im curious as to why you havent posted a copy of this to a.s.cf?

Because I'm a parent and I want to respect their wish that I do not post
there. We have a few childfree people in our creation team, so I'm
expecting one of them to post something like this there soon. The CF team
members probably want access to the group themselves before they invite
others there and it's taking a while to get it.

Jayne

Old August 5th 03, 01:04 PM
Jayne Kulikauskas

"Rorqhual" wrote in message
"Jayne Kulikauskas" wrote in message
Some of you may remember a while ago there was some discussion of having

group in which parents and childfree could talk to each other. Parents

are
not welcome at alt.support.childfree so there is no opportunity for
constructive (or civil) dialogue there.

OK, dons 'leap to defence' outfit. asc is, as the name suggests, a SUPPORT
froup for childfree people who feel (particularly in the US, it seems)
ostracised because of their choice. That's why parents are not welcome
there. It's eminently possible to have a constructive or civil dialogue

with
many of the asc'ers (myself excluded, of courseg), but not in that
particular forum, as it is the one place the members can vent without
ruffling feathers.

I'm sorry you felt you had to leap to defence of asc. My comment was not
meant as a critism. I have no problems with asc being a cf only group. Can
you suggest how I could rephrase it to make this clearer?

The idea of a 'mixed' forum sounds good, but I fear it will degenerate

into
an 'us vs them' flamefest, as has happened before in ascm.

If we get a strong core of people who know to ignore flames we might manage.
I've been impressed by how alt.mothers has been able to maintain a fairly
good tone simply by that method. Our creation team expects that we will
eventually need to make a moderated version of the group, but we are going
to give this one a good try first.

But I'll give it a go. As you are aware (hopefully) I am not an violently
anti children as some denizens of asc, but I would certainly not see a
sudden influx of childed people as either welcome or constructive within
asc, any more than an influx of paedophiles or child haters would be

welcome
here. In the old days, we used to select our NGs to reflect our own
interests/lifestyles, and post to each as appropriate to it's charter. But
then, I'm an old, old man who can still remember when trolls were witty

and
intelligent.
)

I was hoping that you would come there. I actually sent you an email with a
personal invitation, but it bounced for some reason.

R --- and the summers were hotter, and we could leave our front door open
all day.... mumble drone......

Ah, the good old days. g

Jayne

Old August 5th 03, 01:25 PM
Banty

In article , "Rorqhual" says...

But I'll give it a go. As you are aware (hopefully) I am not an violently
anti children as some denizens of asc, but I would certainly not see a
sudden influx of childed people as either welcome or constructive within
asc, any more than an influx of paedophiles or child haters would be welcome
here.

These two scenarios are absolutely *not* morally reciprocal. If you participate
in the 'group, you'll get an earfull as to why.

Banty

Old August 5th 03, 04:32 PM
toto

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 07:57:01 -0400, "Jayne Kulikauskas"
wrote:

"SarahH" wrote in message

[]
Jayne, Im curious as to why you havent posted a copy of this to a.s.cf?

Because I'm a parent and I want to respect their wish that I do not post
there. We have a few childfree people in our creation team, so I'm
expecting one of them to post something like this there soon. The CF team
members probably want access to the group themselves before they invite
others there and it's taking a while to get it.

Jayne

The group is carried on altopia and if you get real traffic, other pay
newsservers will carry it.

I see that you posted an FAQ there. Frankly, I suggest that you try
to find the original charter and that you don't post an FAQ until you
have some people who want to be regular members.

You can't have a creation team for a group that already exists, btw.
That's silly, the group is already created.

Although google is not carrying the group, you can xpost into other
groups and the posts *will* be on google, so if you keep the
xposting on topic to the groups you use, eventually you may gain
some people who will request the group on their ISPs. With traffic,
some newsservers pick it up automatically as well. Apparently
there are newsservers that create the group when you xpost as
was pointed out on news.groups in the last discussion about mk-fl.
If you missed it, mk-fl is available though only on one newsserver
as a test group for the moderation team. Anyone is welcome
to post there by subscribing to news.gweep.ca and looking for the
group, but you cannot post from gweep to any unmoderated groups
and it does not carry many groups, so this cannot replace your
regular newsserver.

You may want to ask in alt.config about how to get google to carry
the group, or email google-support and see if they are willing to
archive it.

Good luck.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old August 5th 03, 05:19 PM
Jayne Kulikauskas

"toto" wrote in message

[]
The group is carried on altopia and if you get real traffic, other pay
newsservers will carry it.

Thanks for that info. I'm trying to keep track of which servers are
carrying it. I can add altopia to the list.

I see that you posted an FAQ there. Frankly, I suggest that you try
to find the original charter and that you don't post an FAQ until you
have some people who want to be regular members.

There are people who want to be members, they haven't managed to get access
yet. We have a mailing list where we have been talking about starting up a
group like this and I've run that FAQ by them.

I wish I could find the original charter, but a google search didn't help
and I can't think of any other way to look. Do you have any ideas, Dorothy?
Unfortunately, as it is, we just have to guess from its name.

You can't have a creation team for a group that already exists, btw.
That's silly, the group is already created.

This creation team has been around for a few months talking about creating a
new group. When we discovered there was an inactive group with a name that
fit our purpose we decided to revive it instead. I've just gotten into the
habit of referring to us as a creation team. Strictly speaking, I suppose
you are right. Now we are a revival team, but that just sounds weird. g

Although google is not carrying the group, you can xpost into other
groups and the posts *will* be on google, so if you keep the
xposting on topic to the groups you use, eventually you may gain
some people who will request the group on their ISPs.

I've thought about doing something like that, but I'm not sure what group to
cross-post to where it won't annoy the regular participants. Misc.kids has
been pretty quiet lately. How do misc.kids people feel about us
cross-posting some threads to a.c.b and m.k while we are getting started?
They aren't supposed to be flamey but I don't know what will end up
happening.

With traffic,
some newsservers pick it up automatically as well. Apparently
there are newsservers that create the group when you xpost as
was pointed out on news.groups in the last discussion about mk-fl.
If you missed it, mk-fl is available though only on one newsserver
as a test group for the moderation team. Anyone is welcome
to post there by subscribing to news.gweep.ca and looking for the
group, but you cannot post from gweep to any unmoderated groups
and it does not carry many groups, so this cannot replace your
regular newsserver.

Yes, I've been following this in news.groups. I probably would have subbed
myself, but I've been too busy with this project.

You may want to ask in alt.config about how to get google to carry
the group, or email google-support and see if they are willing to
archive it.

I'm waiting until we build up some traffic before asking google to archive
it. From what I've read in alt.config, that will improve our chances that
they will do it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the good wishes and good advice.

Jayne

Old August 5th 03, 07:09 PM
toto

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:19:52 -0400, "Jayne Kulikauskas"
wrote:

There are people who want to be members, they haven't managed to get access
yet. We have a mailing list where we have been talking about starting up a
group like this and I've run that FAQ by them.

Have them request the group from their own ISP newsservers and from
whatever other servers they use. It generally takes about two weeks
or so for a newsserver to add a group, but if a customer requests it
most are very good about it. If you have anyone who is on aol,
earthlink or other major servers, explain that it is a low traffic
group, but that there are people who wish to post there and revive
it and you should be able to get the group going. Then make sure
that your team posts to it from the servers they requested it on.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits