Thoughts on circumcision please

Old April 5th 06, 08:54 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Thoughts on circumcision please

I am expecting my first DS at the end of August. My thoughts on getting him
circumcised was that I wouldn't because it serves no health benefit to him.
However, I just went out to a site that showed pics of adult men w/ intact
foreskins and it raised a question of aesthetics in my mind. These penises
I looked at looked like elephants trunks. Would my son have a complex or be
embarrassed by the look of his penis when he's an adult? I'd like to hear
from some guys out there who have intact foreskins. Are you self-conscious
about how it looks? How do your female partners view it? At this point,
the only reason I would get it done is for aesthetic purposes and, to me,
that's not a real good reason. I just don't want my son being
self-conscious and embarrassed. Thanks for any input!

Old April 5th 06, 09:33 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
m...
that's not a real good reason. I just don't want my son being
self-conscious and embarrassed. Thanks for any input!

If he is self-conscious or embarrassed enough as an adult, he is free to go
have it done. There is nothing that says adults can't have it done. The
good thing about it is they would be able to articulate their pain level, so
it could be managed properly.

Old April 5th 06, 09:35 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
m...
I am expecting my first DS at the end of August. My thoughts on getting
him circumcised was that I wouldn't because it serves no health benefit to
him. However, I just went out to a site that showed pics of adult men w/
intact foreskins and it raised a question of aesthetics in my mind. These
penises I looked at looked like elephants trunks. Would my son have a
complex or be embarrassed by the look of his penis when he's an adult?

Since more and more people are not c*rced, I doubt very much if this is a
problem.

I'd like to hear from some guys out there who have intact foreskins.
Are you self-conscious about how it looks? How do your female partners
view it?

Well I can speak to that point. It makes no difference whatsoever.

At this point, the only reason I would get it done is for aesthetic
purposes and, to me, that's not a real good reason.

I concur with your sound reasoning.

Old April 5th 06, 09:36 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

Lot of girls think an un-circumcised penis looks bad(not the word they
actually use). I've never heard of a girl who's complaint about a
circumcised penis. I was self conscious early on, but learn that it
wasn't a big deal.

Also, an un-circumcised penis requires more cleaning after intercouse.
You might have to show your son that in the future. I had to figure it
out for myself, but have since been circumcised for reasons not related
to aesthetics.

As far as healther benefits, I heard that AIDs may effect men with
un-circumcised penis more because it provides the virus a warm place to
stay before entering the body. Not sure if that's really true or a
urban myth. Shouldn't matter as any sane person would practice safe
sex.

Old April 5th 06, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article , ChitaShines says...

I am expecting my first DS at the end of August. My thoughts on getting him
circumcised was that I wouldn't because it serves no health benefit to him.
However, I just went out to a site that showed pics of adult men w/ intact
foreskins and it raised a question of aesthetics in my mind. These penises
I looked at looked like elephants trunks. Would my son have a complex or be
embarrassed by the look of his penis when he's an adult? I'd like to hear
from some guys out there who have intact foreskins. Are you self-conscious
about how it looks? How do your female partners view it? At this point,
the only reason I would get it done is for aesthetic purposes and, to me,
that's not a real good reason. I just don't want my son being
self-conscious and embarrassed. Thanks for any input!

I think I've seen stats that by now only about half of American boy babies are
circumcised. At 13 my son certainly just dies of embarassment at any little
thing, but he's never had an issue with his uncircumcised self at gym or
anywhere else. He has lots of company in that regard.

As a faithful lady you might not be used to seeing what your hubby doesn't look
like, but, really, for female partners, it's not a problem at all when it, um,
comes down to it.

Cheers,
Banty

Old April 5th 06, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

they only look wierd to you because you are used to the other type, my DH is
not circumcised, it's not common in the UK and he looks fine.

He certainly has no desire to be any other way.

Anne

Old April 5th 06, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"ChitaShines" wrote:

I am expecting my first DS at the end of August. My thoughts on getting him
circumcised was that I wouldn't because it serves no health benefit to him.
However, I just went out to a site that showed pics of adult men w/ intact
foreskins and it raised a question of aesthetics in my mind. These penises
I looked at looked like elephants trunks. Would my son have a complex or be
embarrassed by the look of his penis when he's an adult? I'd like to hear
from some guys out there who have intact foreskins. Are you self-conscious
about how it looks? How do your female partners view it? At this point,
the only reason I would get it done is for aesthetic purposes and, to me,
that's not a real good reason. I just don't want my son being
self-conscious and embarrassed. Thanks for any input!

Check the stats: more and more baby boys are NOT circumcized.
Therefore both circumcized and uncircumcized penises are "on display",
if you will, and neither needs to feel particularly self-conscious
about how they look.

The stats vary from state to state, but here in California I believe it
is fewer than half; when my son was born in Massachusetts, the circ
rate was pretty high, but even there he didn't draw any particular
attention as an uncircumcized boy.

Old April 5th 06, 10:16 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
Banty wrote:

In article , ChitaShines
says...

[...]

LOL!

Old April 5th 06, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
m...
I am expecting my first DS at the end of August. My thoughts on getting
him circumcised was that I wouldn't because it serves no health benefit to
him. However, I just went out to a site that showed pics of adult men w/
intact foreskins and it raised a question of aesthetics in my mind. These
penises I looked at looked like elephants trunks. Would my son have a
complex or be embarrassed by the look of his penis when he's an adult? I'd
like to hear from some guys out there who have intact foreskins. Are you
self-conscious about how it looks? How do your female partners view it?
At this point, the only reason I would get it done is for aesthetic
purposes and, to me, that's not a real good reason. I just don't want my
son being self-conscious and embarrassed. Thanks for any input!

Both my brothers are circumcised, and they're now 17 and soon to be 20.
From what my parents have said, the ONLY reason that my brothers are cut is
because it was very common back when they were born and my dad is
circumcised (and when I was slightly younger, this was the LAST thing I had
wanted to hear!) DH is not circumcised. His mom's reason was that she just
didn't have the money to pay for it, as it can be fairly expensive,
especially to someone on a very low and limited budget. She saw it as a
waste of money that could be put to something else, and since there was no
medical reason to do it, she passed on it. DH will be 24 in July.
DS1 and DS2 are also not done. Nothing to do with their dad being or not,
and to be honest, it was just not something that ever came to mind until,
actually, last August/September when I had 2 friends have boys that they got
circumcised. DS1 is 6, DS2 is 5, and it took 5 and a half years after the
first boy for me to actually have thought about circumcision. I also didn't
find it to be a wise decision as far as money goes, as back 6 or 5 years
ago, money was very tight for us.
DH has no problems with the way he looks... Then again, a penis is not
really something that the whole world sees, or wants to see, generally
speaking. Something like that tends to be what *he* sees, and what his
partner sees, or the odd time in the case of a shower room at a gym,
swimming pool, whatever, and if you're a self-concious person, the way your
penis looks probably has little to nothing to do with that. I don't think
it would cause issues either way. Circumcision rates have gone down a lot,
and here in hospitals, it's not even something that they bring up, it's
completely voluntary, each doctor doing the procedure has their own rates on
top of standard tray fees. You ask for it, no one here asks if you would
like it done.
I've also read and heard that from a male point of view, sex tends to be
better, definitely for lack of a better word. There's nerve endings at the
tip of the penis that are severed with circumcision, causing it to be a
little less sensitive. But, I don't know for sure as I've never gone out
and done actual research, and I don't have one of my own From my point
of view, I enjoy with DH very much. ...And, I find a penis in general
to be funny looking, circumcised or not!

Old April 5th 06, 11:20 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
m...

I am expecting my first DS at the end of August. My thoughts on getting
him circumcised

Just make sure that you have solid, concrete
reasons for whatever you choose. Don't do
something just because that's what your husband
looks like, or because everyone does it a certain
way.

Personally, I wouldn't want it done to me, nor
to my daughter, if I had one. Why would I do it
to my sons?

Plus, penises are funny-looking anyway. My
kids will be taking martial arts as soon as
they can. No one will be making fun of them,
regardless.

-- Anita --